Author Topic: Any news of 2017 Fan Club subscribers "gift" ?  (Read 40307 times)

Offline dobyblue

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: Any news of 2017 Fan Club subscribers "gift" ?
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2017, 07:08:17 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Love. This.

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Cool collector item and new live music. If you don't like it, I don't know what you'll like...

I would like an all analogue chain where the source material was recorded to analogue tape. u2 and the label clearly understand the vinyl revival of the past 10 years, but they certainly don't understand vinyl. The Joshua Tree remaster was a huge missed opportunity to do a definitive 2LP pressing of the album. Now we're getting "digitally remastered" 10" EPs. Sure I get that it looks cool and the collector factor, but I don't buy records to frame them and I certainly don't buy records that are digitally remastered (why not just acquire the digital source material and skip the extra step in the chain?) unless:

a) the digital remastering is unique to the vinyl and has a more open, dynamic mastering
b) there is no digital option of said digital mastering

For example all the Led Zeppelin remasters Page did over the past couple years were remastered "from the original tapes" at 24/96. The 24/96 download is the exact file the records were cut from, so why waste money on the records? Similarly Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails recently confirmed the 24-bit downloads available after purchasing the new remastered records are the files the vinyl are being cut from. Broken (EP) sounds awful digital, so it will sound even worse on vinyl. Terribly heavy handed mastering. He opines that vinyl is the way these albums were meant to be heard, which makes no sense as the source material is digital. Now consider Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Stadium Arcadium" - the digital version is a total victim of the loudness wars, but Frusciante insisted the sessions be recorded and mixed to tape (with digital as a back-up) and Warner sent the stereo master to Steve Hoffman to cut a 4LP vinyl version directly from the tapes, massive difference. The Beatles in Mono vinyl release, all analogue, brilliant.

There is a very big difference between the following marketing blurbs:

a) Mastered from the original analogue tapes
b) Mastered AND CUT from the original analogue tapes

There are a number of studios that have all analogue chains (meaning no digital delay in the cutter either) including Bernie Grundman Mastering (Chris Bellman and Bernie Grundman), Steve Hoffman Mastering, Cohearant (Kevin Gray), Sterling Sound (Ryan K Smith) and Abbey Road (Sean Magee).

Digital isn't a bad word by any means, but in this case it does seem redundant and I'd wager the download that becomes available will show that the source material is heavily compressed.

Very nice to get a free gift though. Fingers crossed some day they'll do a 5.1 Blu-ray of The Joshua Tree (studio 5.1 mix).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2017, 07:10:50 AM by dobyblue »

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2017, 07:47:32 AM »
Seriously, am I the only one not very happy with this 'The Joshua Tree Singles Vinyl Collection: 1987 & 2017'? Perhaps I'm going to frame the albums covers and hang them on the living room wall. I think it's going to be really cool (no kidding). But about the vinyls themselves, I'll have to buy an appropriate device to play them. I really do not know how to do it. Do they think that every U2 fan are old enough to have this kind of gadget?

Further discussions on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

That's the problem with comments like this.... non sense at all. You have to be at least 50 to listen to vinyls? Next time go and check in any record store you may find around your place and you'll see that it is a medium that is also enjoyed by young people these days and they will probably tell you that CD is old-fashioned. As a collector item (which is also a purpose of the fan club gift) it is well done and can't wait to have it... not just to frame a bunch of covers. I hope the next one will be a CD so you can also enjoy them, but we had tons in the beginning and this one is totally in line with what's happening now (have you heard about RSD by the way?)
Hey how are you? I do not see this as a problem neither a non sense in a comment. This is my opinion. My expectations were frustrated with this surprise gift, and I am sure I am not the only one (check the other thread :) ). I am a fan but not a collector (although I truly appreciate ones who take it seriously) as I am used to put on the daily life use every few things I have from the guys. That's why the framing idea came from. Put into use. Gift CDs as U22 are still frequently played, books that I've read more than 3 times are now on a special place as decor pieces together with some cool posters, T-shirts, wow I really wear them all. Vinyls might be getting popular again but most homes as mine (still/anymore) do not have a turntable to play. An extra expense I was not expecting to have if they asked the fans whether they were interested into getting CDs or vinyls. I am with you when I hear my 17 yo nephews say CDs are old fashioned. However, far from being extincted. Glad to hear more on RDS.

Offline dobyblue

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2017, 08:17:45 AM »
Glad to hear more on RDS.

Record Store Day for the most part fleeces those who care about format, but not about sound quality. Look no further than the die cut (in the shape of Africa) single of Toto's "Africa" that was released this year. It's flippers getting up at 3am to line up to ensure they grab the rarest of items so they can sell them on eBay at a 100%+ mark-up.

It's not great for stores either, they have to order so much stock to have a chance to get the rarer items people are lining up for, then they get stuck with a bunch of junk no-one's looking for. Take a pop down to the average indie store and ask them how much RSD junk they've been left with over the years. It's a game they have to play though. If you order 5 copies of one item, you might not get any. Order 50 and you might get 5 or you might get 20.

At the end of the day it's capitalism though, so we only have the people lining up to blame. There are occasionally good releases done properly, but those do see regular releases later as well so unless you need some tie-dyed, glow in the dark, scratch and sniff vinyl compound that's likely noisier than black vinyl anyway, it's a miss for me.

I haven't gone to an RSD for a few years now. I always had a good time lining up really early in the morning with strangers discussing music, but the quality of the material offered in this 10 year anniversary last month was pretty shoddy and so many of the majors press records at plants with little to no quality control like United in Nashville which I think is where my very noisy 2LP Joshua Tree was pressed.

Vinyl when done right can sound absolutely amazing, unfortunately it's a rarity these days and unless you're buying releases from specialty labels like Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Analog Spark, Intervention Records, ORG Music, etc, you're often better off with the CD or digital download.

I'm format agnostic and can buy any of the physical formats still currently supported so I have no horse in this race, just stating my opinion.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2017, 08:59:11 AM »
If people don't have record players maybe u2.com will send them mp3s as well as the vinyl, but the vinyl itself looks nice.

That's all I'm hoping for--and I don't even need the A-sides.  All in all, this is a pretty worthless gift for me, but maybe I'll be able to sell them and recoup the cost of the membership.  Or at least part of it.

Offline patjoller

• Babyface
« Reply #214 on: May 04, 2017, 09:20:55 AM »
Hey how are you? I do not see this as a problem neither a non sense in a comment. This is my opinion. My expectations were frustrated with this surprise gift, and I am sure I am not the only one (check the other thread :) ). I am a fan but not a collector (although I truly appreciate ones who take it seriously) as I am used to put on the daily life use every few things I have from the guys. That's why the framing idea came from. Put into use. Gift CDs as U22 are still frequently played, books that I've read more than 3 times are now on a special place as decor pieces together with some cool posters, T-shirts, wow I really wear them all. Vinyls might be getting popular again but most homes as mine (still/anymore) do not have a turntable to play. An extra expense I was not expecting to have if they asked the fans whether they were interested into getting CDs or vinyls. I am with you when I hear my 17 yo nephews say CDs are old fashioned. However, far from being extincted. Glad to hear more on RDS.

Good thanks. On the bright side maybe cds will be cool again in 20 years from now... who knows.
I don't want to enter the digital/analog, sound quality debate. That's not the point. I'm just saying that vinyl is not an old fashioned medium as you may think, so the gift is kinda cool as it's still music and in a beautiful package. Don't worry there will be downloads available for all tracks, probably just mp3 but still something to listen on "new" devices.
I totally agree with the RSD comment, it has become something for resellers on eBay and for labels to release again and again the same stuff. My point was that there's a demand for  that, you can see every day that vinyl is more and more present in the stores nowadays. Now I know how it is with this gift and sure they can't please everyone. I was frustrated last year with the posters, other people liked it. And that doesn't mean that if they give us a cd it is something nice, remember duals ?
So let's hope next gift will be a cd again so you'll be able to enjoy it again.... and don't take this personally, that's just my opinion (good or not)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2017, 09:41:34 AM »
I welcome this one although they should really release One Tree Hill too no? There were 5 singles after all.

I have a strong U2 vinyl collection so I can't wait to get these collectors items!

Offline paddyattitude

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2017, 10:14:59 AM »
it says in the description that there will be downloads available as well...

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2017, 11:57:36 AM »
Here's something no one could moan about that would cost the same to produce :

A 4 x 10" live set of the Joshua Tree Croke Park 2017 set with a download.

Offline Nanda360

• Refugee
  • slow down child let me untie your lace
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2017, 12:30:53 PM »
Glad to hear more on RDS.

Record Store Day for the most part fleeces those who care about format, but not about sound quality. Look no further than the die cut (in the shape of Africa) single of Toto's "Africa" that was released this year. It's flippers getting up at 3am to line up to ensure they grab the rarest of items so they can sell them on eBay at a 100%+ mark-up.

It's not great for stores either, they have to order so much stock to have a chance to get the rarer items people are lining up for, then they get stuck with a bunch of junk no-one's looking for. Take a pop down to the average indie store and ask them how much RSD junk they've been left with over the years. It's a game they have to play though. If you order 5 copies of one item, you might not get any. Order 50 and you might get 5 or you might get 20.

At the end of the day it's capitalism though, so we only have the people lining up to blame. There are occasionally good releases done properly, but those do see regular releases later as well so unless you need some tie-dyed, glow in the dark, scratch and sniff vinyl compound that's likely noisier than black vinyl anyway, it's a miss for me.

I haven't gone to an RSD for a few years now. I always had a good time lining up really early in the morning with strangers discussing music, but the quality of the material offered in this 10 year anniversary last month was pretty shoddy and so many of the majors press records at plants with little to no quality control like United in Nashville which I think is where my very noisy 2LP Joshua Tree was pressed.

Vinyl when done right can sound absolutely amazing, unfortunately it's a rarity these days and unless you're buying releases from specialty labels like Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs, Audio Fidelity, Analogue Productions, Analog Spark, Intervention Records, ORG Music, etc, you're often better off with the CD or digital download.

I'm format agnostic and can buy any of the physical formats still currently supported so I have no horse in this race, just stating my opinion.

Unaware and not judging any format types or marketing strategies as well, but really impressed with the significance and frenesi behind this event that might be a good deal for the ones who have their motivations.

Good thanks. On the bright side maybe cds will be cool again in 20 years from now... who knows.
I don't want to enter the digital/analog, sound quality debate. That's not the point. I'm just saying that vinyl is not an old fashioned medium as you may think, so the gift is kinda cool as it's still music and in a beautiful package. Don't worry there will be downloads available for all tracks, probably just mp3 but still something to listen on "new" devices.
I totally agree with the RSD comment, it has become something for resellers on eBay and for labels to release again and again the same stuff. My point was that there's a demand for  that, you can see every day that vinyl is more and more present in the stores nowadays. Now I know how it is with this gift and sure they can't please everyone. I was frustrated last year with the posters, other people liked it. And that doesn't mean that if they give us a cd it is something nice, remember duals ?
So let's hope next gift will be a cd again so you'll be able to enjoy it again.... and don't take this personally, that's just my opinion (good or not)

Absolutely not taking this personally. Glad to understand your (good) view and see there are quite new rediscovered motivations behind all this vinyl discussions that I have been immersed on the latest 24h.

After all, slightly excited to touch and play my first vinyl for the first time after my 10 years old.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2017, 12:36:27 PM »

Next year.

Hawkmoon2e

« Reply #220 on: May 04, 2017, 12:39:55 PM »

Thatís pretty optimistic of you to think that no one would moan about it. But I like where your head is at.

Iím fine with the gift. I didnít sign up for the membership because of the *free* gift anyway, and Iím willing to bet that no one here did either. I am glad that it is music, and not a book, but I have different reasons for that than probably all of you. I wonít hang them on the wall Ė Iíll play them. But maybe someday down the road, when thereís an extra room to do this in, I will hang them on the wall next to the unopened serigraph set thatís somewhere in my closet. Maybe...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #221 on: May 04, 2017, 12:47:20 PM »

Thatís pretty optimistic of you to think that no one would moan about it. But I like where your head is at.

Iím fine with the gift. I didnít sign up for the membership because of the *free* gift anyway, and Iím willing to bet that no one here did either. I am glad that it is music, and not a book, but I have different reasons for that than probably all of you. I wonít hang them on the wall Ė Iíll play them. But maybe someday down the road, when thereís an extra room to do this in, I will hang them on the wall next to the unopened serigraph set thatís somewhere in my closet. Maybe...

Agreed that it's very optimistic to think that no one on here would complain about a 4-piece vinyl package of Croke Park with download link - "meh - another live recording", etc.  If there's one thing we're good at on this forum, it's moaning  :)

I'd also bet that you're not the only one who never bothered to open their poster gift last year.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #222 on: May 04, 2017, 01:28:06 PM »
I welcome this one although they should really release One Tree Hill too no? There were 5 singles after all.

I have a strong U2 vinyl collection so I can't wait to get these collectors items!

In God's Country and One Tree Hill had the same cover... and there's only 4 band members, you know ;-)

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #223 on: May 04, 2017, 01:30:58 PM »

In God's Country and One Tree Hill had the same cover... and there's only 4 band members, you know ;-)

They could have put a brooding photo of "5th member of the band", Paul McGuiness on the front of the final single:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline miryclay

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #224 on: May 05, 2017, 07:34:38 AM »

Maybe Croke will get a DVD shoot?