Author Topic: Any news of 2017 Fan Club subscribers "gift" ?  (Read 19197 times)

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
Re: Any news of 2017 Fan Club subscribers "gift" ?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 05:17:01 AM »
The lithographs were cool but I believe (I could be wrong) that most U2.com suscribers are probably in their 30's to 50's which means they don't have a (free) teenager bedroom anymore along with the walls that go with it. I know I don't.

I wouldn't mind having a Joshua Tree goodie, this time.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 05:59:09 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The 2017 gift better be better than the awful SERIGRAPH SET.

Mine has been in it's tube for months, unopened. I took it out at the weekend. They are really quite nice but i don't have room on my walls for them so gifts like that are pointless for me really.

$50 for a few photographs and priority to get tickets - it seems u2.com are creaming a great deal of profit rather than thinking of giving fans something they would really like to own.  Each year it should be vinyl of a special concert of set of recordings.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 08:49:18 AM »
The 2017 gift better be better than the awful SERIGRAPH SET.

Mine has been in it's tube for months, unopened. I took it out at the weekend. They are really quite nice but i don't have room on my walls for them so gifts like that are pointless for me really.

$50 for a few photographs and priority to get tickets - it seems u2.com are creaming a great deal of profit rather than thinking of giving fans something they would really like to own.  Each year it should be vinyl of a special concert of set of recordings.

I'd say no to vinyl--I'm just not a vinyl collector, nor do I have any means to play it--but some kind of unique recording on CD would be great.  I suspect, too, that vinyl would be much more expensive to produce, particularly for a limited run.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 10:56:46 AM »
Love the vinyl releases, dig the CD exclusives. It boggles the mind just how cheap this fan club is. I'm the millionth person to say it, but U2.com should take a look at Pearl Jam's Ten Club and take notes. There are two tiers-BOTH cheaper than U2.com-and they give you a heck of a lot of stuff. In one year I got the newsletter in the mail (and PDF), a poster, a patch, a sticker, a vinyl single, a live album of my choice and pre-sales.

Every year you get all this (and more), and every year is very different.

The difference is Pearl Jam runs their own club and cares about the fans. U2 foolishly let's Live Nation run everything. Really sad.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »
Love the vinyl releases, dig the CD exclusives. It boggles the mind just how cheap this fan club is. I'm the millionth person to say it, but U2.com should take a look at Pearl Jam's Ten Club and take notes. There are two tiers-BOTH cheaper than U2.com-and they give you a heck of a lot of stuff. In one year I got the newsletter in the mail (and PDF), a poster, a patch, a sticker, a vinyl single, a live album of my choice and pre-sales.

The difference is Pearl Jam runs their own club and cares about the fans. U2 foolishly let's Live Nation run everything. Really sad.

I just want them to allow us to download individual shows. So many other artists do this and yet U2 still refuses to give us any option for that, other than bootlegs on fan sites.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2017, 11:25:27 AM »
YES!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2017, 11:40:43 AM »

I just want them to allow us to download individual shows. So many other artists do this and yet U2 still refuses to give us any option for that, other than bootlegs on fan sites.

I know other artists have done this: Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, and Genesis, that I know of 1st hand.  Though I prefer a more polished approach--have them pick a single show that was recorded WELL, and put it out.  The ones I have from Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel are maybe interesting as a souvenir, but none of them are exactly repeat listening. 

For example, they should do an official release of the Point Depot New Year's Eve show, which was done as a radio broadcast.  Or the other radio broadcasts they've done over the years--Zoo TV Dublin, PopMart Sarajevo, etc.  Put a nice package together, polish up the audio, and make them worthwhile.

Just my take.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:34 AM »

I guarantee if people were able to stream any show they wanted at anytime with the U2.com website, more would consider keeping their subscription past the touring year. Right now the only perks of membership are presale codes, a 25% off merchandise coupon, the ability to stream any album, and whatever gift they send out each year (which probably costs less than a few dollars to produce).

Why they don't do this, I have no idea.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 01:18:54 PM »
The lithographs were cool but I believe (I could be wrong) that most U2.com suscribers are probably in their 30's to 50's which means they don't have a (free) teenager bedroom anymore along with the walls that go with it. I know I don't.

I wouldn't mind having a Joshua Tree goodie, this time.

It would be strange if it isn't Joshua Tree-themed, but I wonder what they could possibly have left in the vaults of release-quality from that album/tour that we don't already have. I hope it isn't some kind of photo book or poster. Count me among those adults who don't have the room for such things. I want MUSIC.

Offline Aprilshack

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »

Agree.LN are a blood sucking leech.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 01:49:18 PM »

I know other artists have done this: Peter Gabriel, Depeche Mode, and Genesis, that I know of 1st hand.  Though I prefer a more polished approach--have them pick a single show that was recorded WELL, and put it out.  The ones I have from Depeche Mode and Peter Gabriel are maybe interesting as a souvenir, but none of them are exactly repeat listening. 

For example, they should do an official release of the Point Depot New Year's Eve show, which was done as a radio broadcast.  Or the other radio broadcasts they've done over the years--Zoo TV Dublin, PopMart Sarajevo, etc.  Put a nice package together, polish up the audio, and make them worthwhile.

Just my take.

Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen and Metallica put every show out now and they are all very high quality.

No reason U2 can't do the same.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:23 PM »

No kidding. U2 are obsessed with recording everything that they do. Band sessions, concerts, you name it.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 02:08:45 PM »
I'd actually kind of dig an acoustic version of TJT. Kind of in the same vein as what they did with SOI.

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2017, 02:15:29 PM »
I'd actually kind of dig an acoustic version of TJT. Kind of in the same vein as what they did with SOI.

Great idea!

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Toronto, Detroit, Cleveland, Buffalo
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:15 PM »

Great idea!

It's going to be Live JT or Paris audio.