Author Topic: Coming To Singapore?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline acrobat62

• Elevated
  • I'm hatching some plot, scheming some scheme
Coming To Singapore?
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:19:13 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 03:16:45 PM by singnomore »

Offline podiumboy

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Coming To Singapore?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 05:28:12 PM »
U2 are probably the last of the major touring bands who have not really tapped into the Asian market.  They haven't even been to Japan since almost exactly 10 years ago.  On her last tour, Madonna did shows in Taiwan, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, and the Philippines, in addition to Japan.  Since they share management, I'd look for something similar to happen with U2.  It is unlikely that U2 will be allowed to perform in China, since they participated in the Tibetan Freedom Concert back in 1997.  China is very selective about who they let perform in their country. 

Also, anybody know why U2 cancelled their plans to go to Singapore in 1998? 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:24:17 PM »
No idea why they would have cancelled a Singapore show in 1998 but it would be reasonable to guess that they felt unable to sell the venue, or some logistical issue was at play.

A Singapore show however would be interesting.  I'm guessing it would be 99.8% expats, mostly from Oz and jolly old England.  With a bunch of Yanks as well.  Throw in some other miscellaneous Canadians, Germans and what not... you're left with about 137 Singaporeans.  Who left early in their Ferrari's to get to the clubs.

I do wonder how punk Bono would address the PAP for their decades-long repression of free speech and rights of assembly.  Maybe 'courageous' Bono as some here like to think of him would give 'BG' Lee the Trump treatment?  Well don't hold your breath folks.  Bono knows that would be counter-productive to the cash flow...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 01:00:14 AM »
I disagree that it would be mostly expats. Singaporeans love an 'event' and there is a lot of money, I mean a LOT of money in Singapore.

They do, however, generally speaking have a hideous middle of the road music taste. Bands that tear up sales there are those like Maroon 5 and Bon Jovi. They probably have the greatest number of Jon Secada fans anywhere in the world too.

So you can ink in songs like Stuck in a Moment, Sweetest thing and the like.

Great country though and a country that has started to see some big acts on the back of their F1 Grand Prix annually. Hope this comes to fruition.

Outside of Singapore though, in sth East Asia they will have to cut the prices heavily in places like Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand if they want to get full stadiums.

Singaporeans have the cash, the other countries have a much lower cost of living (Singapore has one of the highest in the world).

Offline aussieu2

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 05:01:27 AM »
Just read this online and immediately thought of our friend in Singapore. Jick?

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 06:13:47 AM »
maybe they could get tom waits to open

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 09:42:43 AM »
Jicks in the Philippines I reckon.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 11:16:34 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I disagree that it would be mostly expats. Singaporeans love an 'event' and there is a lot of money, I mean a LOT of money in Singapore.

They do, however, generally speaking have a hideous middle of the road music taste. Bands that tear up sales there are those like Maroon 5 and Bon Jovi. They probably have the greatest number of Jon Secada fans anywhere in the world too.

So you can ink in songs like Stuck in a Moment, Sweetest thing and the like.

Great country though and a country that has started to see some big acts on the back of their F1 Grand Prix annually. Hope this comes to fruition.

Outside of Singapore though, in sth East Asia they will have to cut the prices heavily in places like Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand if they want to get full stadiums.

Singaporeans have the cash, the other countries have a much lower cost of living (Singapore has one of the highest in the world).

I lived in Singapore for many years, it will be mostly expats.  You are right that the music scene there is not great for bands in U2's genre.  Some exceptions like Coldplay, M5 as you mention.

But whatever, it will be interesting to see if it happens.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 05:15:51 PM »
Heritage act...never played there before (I think)....wealthy country...guaranteed sell out.

As for u2 not really tapping into Asian market I would say that would be down to them being so 'business orientated' down the years - money and being efficient in their business has been probably a bigger issue with u2 than pretty much any other big band so taking the risks of playing Asia has never really been on the agenda.

It is a bit shabby for their fans out there but they may now see opportunity there as their stock falls in their traditional markets a bit and nostlagia sells/asia is on the up - so money to be made means they may well think it is time to go and do a bit over there...demand in a market you have barely touched will be more enthusiastic and high.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 05:17:52 PM by an tha »

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:04:05 AM »
Michael Jackson did shows in South Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, Indian and Thailand as far back as 1996.  Mind you he was wacko.

Offline georgemccauley

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 10:50:08 AM »
If this is true then it surely will be Stadiums next year?

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 03:51:34 PM »
well wherever they play it will be a shame if they book stadiums.  the more intimate arenas (which let's face it are already large enough) combined with the indoor-optimal stage and acoustic setup was a big part of why the last tour was successful.

But I still doubt they will go outdoors anywhere other than the U2-starved markets in the southern hemi.