Author Topic: I hate that line on Playboy Mansion, you know which one  (Read 1534 times)

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: I hate that line on Playboy Mansion, you know which one
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2016, 01:18:38 PM »
Pop was ahead of its time.

Offline soloyan

• Staring at the Sun
  • A dangerous idea that almost makes sense
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2017, 06:01:20 AM »
Yeah. You have to remember that's where MJ was at at the moment :

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I remember seeing this cut footage of people crying hysterically and the statue appearing in a very soviet propaganda way... I mean, people talk about Bono's ego but MJ turned the ego button to 11 with this one. I remember thinking at the time that what was doing MJ was really "Dangerous" (pun not intended). It was really meant to brainwash people... I remember a video with people crawling at his feet like he is some kind of god... Can't find it at the moment.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 04:09:42 PM »
That video is just awful. 

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 06:02:35 PM »
Yeah. You have to remember that's where MJ was at at the moment :

I remember seeing this cut footage of people crying hysterically and the statue appearing in a very soviet propaganda way... I mean, people talk about Bono's ego but MJ turned the ego button to 11 with this one. I remember thinking at the time that what was doing MJ was really "Dangerous" (pun not intended). It was really meant to brainwash people... I remember a video with people crawling at his feet like he is some kind of god... Can't find it at the moment.

and unfortunately that album sucked. i mean like 4 of the songs are okay but uhhhh the rest is garbage. and i LOVE MJ

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »
I think they're referring to the fact that he's dead and thus now "history"?

Where is the Whooosh Train when you need it?

I realize that THRILLHO and everyone else was too polite to point this out, but you DO realize that MJ was alive when POP was released? And he released an album called "HIStory".

POP was a satire of pop music and culture......Brilliant and way ahead of its time.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 03:34:41 PM »
I would have loved to see U2 parody that MJ video with a giant statue of MacPhisto with the soldiers in the Zooropa uniforms.

IMO, Playboy Mansion is exhibit A for a song that should have been a b-side. It is funny the first time and was topical at the time, but it never deserved to take up a precious spot on a U2 album, especially one that took four years to release. Four years and you devote one of the 12 spots to THAT bit of throwaway nonsense?

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 09:10:46 PM »
I just wished Bono [MacPhisto] read the entire auto-cue out from ZooTV Sydney. Then the world really would've known what Bono thought of MJ.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2017, 02:15:02 PM »
I've never had a problem with that line, I also think it's a great song with brilliant sampling.

Offline u2 fan in sc

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »
Actually "Playboy Mansion" is brilliant- one of the best songs on the album.  It's in my personal top 10-20 of all time.
Don't get thrown off by the pop culture references- just understand them and the larger point that u2 was trying to make.

And this is not just me talking- random u2 fan.
This song was studied in at least 1 university Religion class.  I know because my daughter was in the class.
And this is at one of the better universities in the southeast US so there are probably others.

If you are wondering about the larger point of the song- it is that consumerism has become our religion.

Bono brilliantly uses many religious terms in the song.  (Mystery, truth, gifts, Obsession meaning zealotry, Confession, pool, and yes Mansion.)

Then in the final stanza he parallels heaven (no sorrow, no shame) with the playboy mansion.

So yeah- it's not about Michael Jackson that much- except for his status of being worshipped.
I think he needed something to rhyme with "mystery" and MJ's latest album fit the bill.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
Actually "Playboy Mansion" is brilliant- one of the best songs on the album.  It's in my personal top 10-20 of all time.

Mine too.

And this is not just me talking- random u2 fan.
This song was studied in at least 1 university Religion class.  I know because my daughter was in the class.
And this is at one of the better universities in the southeast US so there are probably others.

Good thing she's going to one of the better colleges, if she went to one of the crappy ones she'd have been studying Elevation.