Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (25.5%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
21 (13.7%)
No Line On The Horizon
34 (22.2%)
Songs of Innocence
59 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 11:55:37 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
CoL is for me by far the best song on NLOTH.....it is just a shame that the album is so uneven, so unfocused and had such dogs shoehorned onto it like the abomination that is Crazy Tonight...Will I Am must have been laughing his bo****ks off..

Why, did Cheryl Cole reject it as substandard material for her debut solo album?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 12:14:43 PM »
CoL is for me by far the best song on NLOTH.....it is just a shame that the album is so uneven, so unfocused and had such dogs shoehorned onto it like the abomination that is Crazy Tonight...Will I Am must have been laughing his bo****ks off..

Why, did Cheryl Cole reject it as substandard material for her debut solo album?

ah to be fair she did say she'd put it on the b-side of the alternative version of the american market only single.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 12:16:24 PM »
SOI of course. The most thematically cohesive and it's not as all over the place as the rest of their 00's work. (ie the alleged "reinvention" 3 part record and two very inconsistent song collections)

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

ah to be fair she did say she'd put it on the b-side of the alternative version of the american market only single.

She did take the lyric "every beauty needs to go out with an idiot" to heart though.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 05:32:52 PM »
HTDAAB
SOI
NLOTH
ATYCLB

Offline Spacejunk69

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 02:11:00 PM »
Take out Magnificent, Boots, Crazy Tonight, SUC & Breathe - you are left with 6 decent songs (IMHO) - especially the brilliant Cedars Of Lebanon.

There are only 3, yes THREE songs on the other three albums combined that I can actually listen to - Grace (yup, haters out there I know but I don't care, you asked MY opinion), Sleep Like A Baby Tonight and This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now.

Clearly, NLOTH is my favorite of the three.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 03:18:40 PM »
HTDAAB- based on SYCMIOYO alone.

Offline Droo

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • don't expect, suggest
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
SoI. No contest. Not a song on the album that I dislike and most of them I love. Some of Bono's best lyrical moments in years and just a very listenable album.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2016, 10:45:11 AM »
Question i have is this...as u2 are lauded as being one of the all time greats and of course this is a forum where many of the bands biggest fans can be found can you really hand on heart look at the bands post Pop output and say it is truly great?...you know the kind of stuff that sits head and shoulders above what other artists are doing and shows u2 leading the way in terms of their output, how innovative it is, how influential it is and how inspiring it is..?

My 'beef' with u2 in the last 20 years is that they have produced very ordinary records that have little to no innovation, do not really break any new ground or indeed cover the ground they do very spectacularly...

I wonder if these albums were not u2 if people would rate them at all...

If you are gonna put a band on a pedestal and call them 'the best' call work 'great' etc then there has to a cogent argument to do so...i just don't see one for u2 post Pop and whilst of course it is subjective I am interested to know on what grounds those who think u2's work post Pop is great are basing their views on......because all i hear is a tiny amount of good work, a whole raft of really uninspired mediocre middle of the road work and a lot of very poor work.......certainly not work worthy of a band as acclaimed as u2 are...

Is this really the music of an all time great band or a best of all time band?....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:52:39 AM by an tha »

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »
Question i have is this...as u2 are lauded as being one of the all time greats and of course this is a forum where many of the bands biggest fans can be found can you really hand on heart look at the bands post Pop output and say it is truly great?...you know the kind of stuff that sits head and shoulders above what other artists are doing and shows u2 leading the way in terms of their output, how innovative it is, how influential it is and how inspiring it is..?

My 'beef' with u2 in the last 20 years is that they have produced very ordinary records that have little to no innovation, do not really break any new ground or indeed cover the ground they do very spectacularly...

If you are gonna put a band on a pedestal and call them 'the best' call work 'great' etc then there has to a cogent argument to do so...i just don't see one for u2 post Pop and whilst of course it is subjective I am interested to know on what grounds those who think u2's work post Pop is great are basing their views on......because all i hear is a tiny amount of good work, a whole raft of really uninspired mediocre middle of the road work and a lot of very poor work.......certainly not work worthy of a band as acclaimed as u2 are...

Is this really the music of an all time great band or a best of all time band?....

As you said, it's subjective and different people will connect with different things. I can't fathom how people can connect with Nickelback or Kanye West but they have fans who find their music attractive and they have their reasons for it.

I'm in the minority here who enjoys the band's recent output and still listens to it frequently. You're correct that much of that work hasn't been a reinvention or pushed their sound forward, though I don't think a song has to revolutionary to be good. Some of my favorite artists (Foo Fighters, Weezer, Nada Surf, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen) haven't radically altered their sound in decades but continue to release compelling material. For me a good song is a good song, regardless of genre or innovation. I also wonder where else the band can really go from here, considering their first two decades covered a wide variety of influences and ideas. What truly original ground is left for the band to mine at this point? There's simply no way that they can win now---anything they do will be criticized and picked apart to the point where no one seems happy. We will never get another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, so does that mean the band should hang it up?

If their career started with ATYCLB I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about legendary status but that doesn't negate those records or their merits. Most of the long-running bands, from U2 to Metallica to The Rolling Stones, are riding high on their early material. It's unreasonable to expect men in their 50's to recapture the youthful energy and passion of their 20's. That doesn't mean we can't grow with them and keep an open mind to what avenues they may explore.

I can't explain why the soaring chorus of Miracle Drug resonates with me, or why I find joy in pop songs like Wild Honey or In a Little While. I listened to NLOTH on repeat for months and months after it was released. I loved those tours and have many fond memories from them. Does that mean my taste is bad? Maybe it is, but I know what I like and I try to approach each effort with an open mind and open heart. As long as U2 writes something that speaks to me then I'll continue to enjoy it.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:14:18 PM by Thunder Peel »

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2016, 01:48:57 PM »

As you said, it's subjective and different people will connect with different things. I can't fathom how people can connect with Nickelback or Kanye West but they have fans who find their music attractive and they have their reasons for it.

I'm in the minority here who enjoys the band's recent output and still listens to it frequently. You're correct that much of that work hasn't been a reinvention or pushed their sound forward, though I don't think a song has to revolutionary to be good. Some of my favorite artists (Foo Fighters, Weezer, Nada Surf, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen) haven't radically altered their sound in decades but continue to release compelling material. For me a good song is a good song, regardless of genre or innovation. I also wonder where else the band can really go from here, considering their first two decades covered a wide variety of influences and ideas. What truly original ground is left for the band to mine at this point? There's simply no way that they can win now---anything they do will be criticized and picked apart to the point where no one seems happy. We will never get another Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby, so does that mean the band should hang it up?

If their career started with ATYCLB I'm sure we wouldn't be talking about legendary status but that doesn't negate those records or their merits. Most of the long-running bands, from U2 to Metallica to The Rolling Stones, are riding high on their early material. It's unreasonable to expect men in their 50's to recapture the youthful energy and passion of their 20's. That doesn't mean we can't grow with them and keep an open mind to what avenues they may explore.

I can't explain why the soaring chorus of Miracle Drug resonates with me, or why I find joy in pop songs like Wild Honey or In a Little While. I listened to NLOTH on repeat for months and months after it was released. I loved those tours and have many fond memories from them. Does that mean my taste is bad? Maybe it is, but I know what I like and I try to approach each effort with an open mind and open heart. As long as U2 writes something that speaks to me then I'll continue to enjoy it.

There is of course no right or wrong answers and I am genuinely interested to hear different peoples views on things...

Art is of course as we have said subjective and one mans poison is different to another mans - In terms of pushing boundaries, being inventive etc it is there where I am most disappointed in and critical of u2...it is for me like they have actually regressed and now make very safe, mundane music with very obvious arrangements etc...they never used to, they used to have a broad palate and they used to have a unique sound, an atmosphere and a feel that was difficult to pigeon hole but was compelling and nuanced...clever and different....post Pop they have for me been by and large just very, very dull formulaic and so unadventurous..

When I think of the artists who have been making records that excite me I hear risk taking, use of different instruments, unusual arrangements, depth and nuance - things that have been in short supply for me from u2 post Pop.

It is hard to articulate exactly what I mean and I really don't want to just be seen as having a pop being anti u2 etc....as I say I am genuinely interested to know what it is others are hearing that I am not - why the bands work post Pop is great to them.

Offline georgemccauley

• Refugee
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2016, 06:41:23 PM »
Vertigo and Beautiful Day were two tracks that sent a powerful statement when ATYCLB and HTDAAB were released.

Being 23 years of age it was their albums since 2000 which I have grown up with. ATYCLB remains one of my favorite ever U2 records with just brilliant track after track. The songwriting and especially the return to basics make this a special album for me.

I've always had a soft spot for the heavier guitar side of U2 and with HTDAAB labeled as their first real Rock record, again this is a solid album. Crumbs from Your Table is such an underrated track. The riff and the vocal melody really stand out in this one, would love to hear that one live.

In early 2009 I visited family in Waterford, Ireland and it just so happens that it coincided with the release of NLOTH. From the moment I heard Magnificent I thought this could be U2's finest body of work for years. Not to much negative thoughts to mention on this record. The only track I find myself skipping is White as Snow and occasionally Cedars of Lebanon. Breathe happens to be one of my favorite all time U2 tracks. And I really did not understand why the album didn't sell as well as expected, im glad the tour more than made up for it.

To summarize, NLOTH is my favorite album since 2000 full of great ideas and it proves, when U2 experiment, they always deliver the goods. Brian Eno did a great job here too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2016, 06:52:26 PM »
I agree, George, I think NLOTH is a great album.  It wasn't marketed as well as it could have been, plus it's themes often appeal to an older demographic.  Cool for you that you can appreciate the depth of this work as a relatively young person.  I think Magnificent is a great song too--kind of a manifesto of Bono's calling in many respects.

Online THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:07 PM »
wow i cant believe i agree with the results 100%
SOI
NLOTH
ATYCLB
HTDAAB

in the grand scheme of rankings i'd put the post-Pop like this

SOI
R&H
NLOTH
Boy
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
Oct

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2016, 01:34:28 AM »
I agree, George, I think NLOTH is a great album.  It wasn't marketed as well as it could have been, plus it's themes often appeal to an older demographic.  Cool for you that you can appreciate the depth of this work as a relatively young person.  I think Magnificent is a great song too--kind of a manifesto of Bono's calling in many respects.

what do you mean by 'wasn't marketed as well as it could have been'?