Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (25.5%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
21 (13.7%)
No Line On The Horizon
34 (22.2%)
Songs of Innocence
59 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2016, 08:39:22 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree, George, I think NLOTH is a great album.  It wasn't marketed as well as it could have been, plus it's themes often appeal to an older demographic.  Cool for you that you can appreciate the depth of this work as a relatively young person.  I think Magnificent is a great song too--kind of a manifesto of Bono's calling in many respects.

what do you mean by 'wasn't marketed as well as it could have been'?

Having GOYB as a lead single didn't help. The band did some nice promotional appearances but it didn't seem like the general public was as aware of this record as they had been with previous releases. That may be what they're getting at.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2016, 10:14:25 AM »
I agree, George, I think NLOTH is a great album.  It wasn't marketed as well as it could have been, plus it's themes often appeal to an older demographic.  Cool for you that you can appreciate the depth of this work as a relatively young person.  I think Magnificent is a great song too--kind of a manifesto of Bono's calling in many respects.

Having GOYB as a lead single didn't help. The band did some nice promotional appearances but it didn't seem like the general public was as aware of this record as they had been with previous releases. That may be what they're getting at.

It was promoted very heavily here in the uk....to the point where the BBC got a rebuke over just how much promotion it gave it...quite rightly so as well I hasten to add.

The BBC = U2 thing was cringweworthy and typical sledgehammer approach from the band - the concert on the roof a flop too.....

The BBC today admitted that it breached its guidelines in promoting U2's latest album, No Line on the Horizon, and that altering its logo to "U2=BBC" was inappropriate.

The corporation's editorial complaints unit said coverage of last year's album launch, which included a concert on the roof of Broadcasting House, amounted to "undue prominence for commercial products or organisations" and breached BBC editorial guidelines.

It said the use of the slogan U2=BBC "gave an inappropriate impression of endorsement", and said a reference to the BBC being "part of launching this new album", in an interview between Zane Lowe and U2's Bono on BBC Radio 1, was inappropriate.

Critics complained at the time of the launch, last February, that the BBC had given the band millions of pounds' worth of free publicity across TV, radio and online.

The commercial radio trade body, the RadioCentre, made a formal complaint. Conservative MP Nigel Evans said it was "the sort of publicity money can't buy. Why should licence fee-payers shoulder the cost of U2's publicity?"

But complaints about an edition of Jo Whiley's Radio 1 show, and a BBC News online report of the U2 concert on the roof of Broadcasting House, were not upheld.

The complaints unit said its findings had been discussed at the Radio 1 and sister station 1Xtra editorial meeting.

It added: "In addition, the Radio 1 leadership team have reminded executive producers and presenters about the issues to be considered in relation to judgments about undue prominence, and the distinction between the reporting of new artistic work and commercial promotion.

"The management of BBC marketing, communication and audiences (the division responsible for the U2=BBC graphic) has reminded all staff of the need to consult the editorial policy team in a timely manner for advice when potentially sensitive issues such as commercial interests are involved. A session on working with third parties will be included in marketing, communication and audiences monthly editorial issues training programme."

"We acknowledge the findings and have taken note for the future," a BBC spokesman said.

The unit also upheld a complaint from the RadioCentre about the BBC's coverage of a tour by Coldplay. The "Radio 1 presents Coldplay" website included a link to the websites of ticket agents, which the unit said was "not in keeping with the BBC's guidelines on links to external websites".

Previously, the BBC fair trading committee upheld a complaint about the Radio 1 promotion of Coldplay.

The U2 ruling marks the second rebuke for Radio 1 this week, with the editorial complaints unit ruling that a Radio 1 interview with two British National party members was not rigorous enough.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:23:03 AM by an tha »

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2016, 10:19:33 AM »
Well it's who you know.

Offline Rasmus

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2016, 03:04:17 PM »
1. ATYCLB
2. SOI
3. HTDAAB
4. NLOTH

I also dont get why so many praise NLOTH as an experimental album. It is plain pop-rock except two-three songs. If anything it is just weird pop songs.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 03:09:01 PM by Rasmus »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2016, 05:34:52 PM »
As I remember, they marketed "Boots" as the first single, which really wasn't reflective of the work as a whole.  Eno wanted their lead off single to be "Moment of Surrender" as I recall.  As any baseball fan can tell you, the lead off hit is critical to any rally.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2016, 06:26:06 PM »
As I remember, they marketed "Boots" as the first single, which really wasn't reflective of the work as a whole.  Eno wanted their lead off single to be "Moment of Surrender" as I recall.  As any baseball fan can tell you, the lead off hit is critical to any rally.

That would make sense. Boots should never have seen the light of day unless as a B Side or hidden track, who knows, it could possibly have cult status by now.

Offline Dali

• Child of Grace
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2016, 10:19:36 AM »
ATYCLB. It's my favourite album by this band on songcraft alone, their peek as songwriters (for the time being).

Their follow-up single to that great album, "Electrical Storm", indicated that they might go in a direction they hinted at on the "Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack next. We all know that they did not and that they hit a songwriting slump instead, from which they have had to work hard to recover, over the course of the next 3 albums. But their still current album is proof enough that recover, they did.

Offline TheRealThing

• Babyface
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »
I am in the minority that believes NLOTH is one of U2's best albums

Online andrewau2

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
The more guitar heavy the album and the more the lyrics can relate - the better the album.

A U2 song that has both is great, a U2 song that has one or the other is ok, and a U2 song that has neither is not so good.

Using this logic, one can determine which album since 2000 is the best by looking at the tracklist of each album and counting how many great, good, and no so good songs an album has.

• Numb
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 12:23:39 PM »
NLOTH for certain.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 02:49:40 PM »
NLOTH for certain.

I was quite excited about NLOTH when it came out - it seemed a nod in the direction of their more ambient and best work.  However, I can't pretend I play it much anymore.  It has promise but I think they compromised, seeking to mix in the experimental stuff with poppy stuff that would give them hits.  Stand Up Comedy is one of their worst songs ever.  On the other hand I do like White As Snow, Fez and Breathe.  I'm glad they made the album but wish they'd trusted their artistic instincts more, rather than trying to second guess what'd get them airplay.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2016, 09:59:43 PM »

I don't think it mattered what song would have been released as a lead single. There is no way that album was going to have a presence in the pop culture of post 2000.  I don't think it is even possible anymore for U2 to have a hugely successful album. They do not relate to today's youth and  they ran out of good ideas a long long time ago.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 10:02:27 PM by pfctsqr »

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2016, 03:01:01 AM »
If you believe they ran out of good ideas a long time ago, then why do you come to this forum?  Just curious.....

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2016, 05:35:35 AM »
Been years actually.  Heard there was a new album coming out. Was curious  to see if there was any word that it might be something to look forward to.  I think it's likely it won't be any good.  I will certainly listen before I buy.   Obviously that's what I did with SOI. I gave it two listens and erased it from my phone.

• Numb
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2016, 01:01:17 PM »
Well, you certainly missed out on "The Troubles" for sure.  For me that was the only great tune, although others were very good too.  I'm thinking especially of "Miracle" and "Volcano".