Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (24.1%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
24 (14.8%)
No Line On The Horizon
37 (22.8%)
Songs of Innocence
62 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2016, 02:57:42 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Been years actually.  Heard there was a new album coming out. Was curious  to see if there was any word that it might be something to look forward to.  I think it's likely it won't be any good.  I will certainly listen before I buy.   Obviously that's what I did with SOI. I gave it two listens and erased it from my phone.

if they didn't win you back with SOI yea don't bother with the next one.

Offline pfctsqr

• Numb
  • And a f#$@ed up world it is, too
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »
The Troubles is decent. Volcano opens with promise but is betrayed by an awful chorus. Miracle has way too many "Aaaaaah Oh"s.   And what the hell is Joey Ramone mentioned in the title for?  It has as much to do with Joey Ramone as Sunday  Bloody Sunday does with Bart Simpson.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 10:30:05 PM »
Joey Ramone was Bono's musical idol who gave him the notion that he could sing, even though he didn't think his voice fit in with the times.  The miracle was that Bono found a mentor at a time when he was adrift.  At least that's how I took it.  Then I suppose it opened up other miracles in his life:  Ali, finding faith, finding a band and mates, etc.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 10:33:29 PM »
The Troubles is decent. Volcano opens with promise but is betrayed by an awful chorus. Miracle has way too many "Aaaaaah Oh"s.   And what the hell is Joey Ramone mentioned in the title for?  It has as much to do with Joey Ramone as Sunday  Bloody Sunday does with Bart Simpson.

I can agree with your Miracle criticisms but yea Troubles is amazing and Volcano is ok def not my fav.

Honestly i took his name in the song as a tribute to him since he loved U2 and he had recently died when the album came out. My time table may be off but i think he died a few months or so before the album so i took the title as a dedication to him, not like the song sounds punk or references Ramone in the lyrics.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2016, 05:53:25 AM »
Question i have is this...as u2 are lauded as being one of the all time greats and of course this is a forum where many of the bands biggest fans can be found can you really hand on heart look at the bands post Pop output and say it is truly great?...you know the kind of stuff that sits head and shoulders above what other artists are doing and shows u2 leading the way in terms of their output, how innovative it is, how influential it is and how inspiring it is..?

My 'beef' with u2 in the last 20 years is that they have produced very ordinary records that have little to no innovation, do not really break any new ground or indeed cover the ground they do very spectacularly...

I wonder if these albums were not u2 if people would rate them at all...

If you are gonna put a band on a pedestal and call them 'the best' call work 'great' etc then there has to a cogent argument to do so...i just don't see one for u2 post Pop and whilst of course it is subjective I am interested to know on what grounds those who think u2's work post Pop is great are basing their views on......because all i hear is a tiny amount of good work, a whole raft of really uninspired mediocre middle of the road work and a lot of very poor work.......certainly not work worthy of a band as acclaimed as u2 are...

Is this really the music of an all time great band or a best of all time band?....

Personally I'd like at least one more album as good as JT or AB before I call U2 one of the all time greats, and this is looking at their full work. They are too inconsistent for that. I mean if we look at the presumed big 5 in rock (Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who)....Studio wise are they up there ? Bono/Edge up there with Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, R. Waters and Townshend in songwriting ?

Live, certainly they can claim to being one of the best of all time. Combine their performances, Bono being one of the best frontmen and their groundbreaking tours.

Offline A_Fly_On_The_Wall

• Deep In the Heart
  • Killing My Inspriation And Singing About My Grief
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2016, 06:58:39 AM »
1. NLOTH
2. HTDAAB
3. SOI
4. ATYCLB

All four of these albums are in my top 6 favourite U2 albums ever. I LOVE their post 2000's output and listen to all of these on a regular basis  :)

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2016, 05:02:02 PM »
     I personally think that NLOTH was ahead of its time and may be critically lauded at some point in the future.  Kind of like how "It's a Wonderful Life" was dissed in its day and later came to have a life of its own.
     As for whether U2 can be counted amongst the greats, I would say that they definitely can, especially on the strength of Bono's lyrical skill and vocal passion combined with Edge's instrumental innovation.

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »
Even though I voted for Songs of Innocence, I'm surprised to see How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb coming in last place on this poll.

I guess a lot of people feel like whomever wrote this list:

Offline DulmoU2

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:00 PM »
ATYCLB
HTDAAB
NLOTH
SOI

release order i suppose. I really like all of them, did not expect all this negativity towards HTDAAB to be honest.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2016, 09:05:25 AM »
Even though I voted for Songs of Innocence, I'm surprised to see How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb coming in last place on this poll.

This forum is pretty hostile towards 2000's U2, especially Bomb. I love the album but I'm definitely in the minority here.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »

Personally I'd like at least one more album as good as JT or AB before I call U2 one of the all time greats, and this is looking at their full work. They are too inconsistent for that. I mean if we look at the presumed big 5 in rock (Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, The Who)....Studio wise are they up there ? Bono/Edge up there with Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, R. Waters and Townshend in songwriting ?

Live, certainly they can claim to being one of the best of all time. Combine their performances, Bono being one of the best frontmen and their groundbreaking tours.

I would say at this point, U2 are a slight notch below the likes of the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin. I love the Who, but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category as the Beatles and Stones. Another great album or two and they'd be close to but definitely not better than the Beatles and Stones. I would also say that U2 have aged far better than the Stones (who really haven't made anything good since the early 80s).

In terms of tours, yes, they are definitely one of the best live bands of all time, both in terms of entertainment, performance, and commercial success. You don't have the biggest tour of all time with a mediocre live show.

I should note that I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles or Stones, but as a musician I respect them and their high ranking.

As far as their post-Pop output (to answer an tha's question), the thing about U2 is that they've changed their sound many times throughout their career. There are some fans who enjoy all of the different sounds, some who jumped ship after AB, some who jumped ship after ATYCLB etc. This does not mean that the albums themselves are poor or lesser quality than earlier albums (so much of music is subjective), it just means that some fans don't like the 00s stuff.

There is a reason why people loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. The albums had some incredibly well crafted pop rock songs. Pop rock isn't really my thing, so I don't like these albums as much as their late 80s/all 90s output, but they are still good songs. To call them uninspired or ordinary...well, I'd have to disagree with this because if they were, you wouldn't have so many fans (both casual and die hard U2 fans) who love those albums. You also wouldn't have so many critics who reviewed those albums so favorably.

I will agree that NLOTH was pretty uninspired in parts and that it was also extremely overproduced which wrecked songs that had potential. SoI was better in that it wasn't as overproduced and seemed to be more inspired, but still would have benefitted from less emphasis on achieving a pop music hit.

It will be interesting to see where they go with SoE. It very well could be a great album....or it could be another forced attempt at achieving pop music relevance.

This forum is pretty hostile towards 2000's U2, especially Bomb. I love the album but I'm definitely in the minority here.

Count me in the minority, too. ATYCLB and Bomb are very enjoyable albums if you listen to them without comparing them to U2's past albums.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 08:51:04 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2016, 11:01:22 PM »
I would also say that U2 have aged far better than the Stones (who really haven't made anything good since the early 80s).

The Stones have about twenty years on U2.  I would say that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are all better albums than ATYCLB and A-Bomb.  None of those Stones albums have songs quite as good as Cedars and SLABT though.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2016, 09:37:50 AM »
I would also say that U2 have aged far better than the Stones (who really haven't made anything good since the early 80s).

The Stones have about twenty years on U2.  I would say that Steel Wheels, Voodoo Lounge, Bridges to Babylon and A Bigger Bang are all better albums than ATYCLB and A-Bomb.  None of those Stones albums have songs quite as good as Cedars and SLABT though.

I'll give those ones another listen and see if my opinion has changed. It's been a while since I dove into the Stones music.

Cedars seems to get a lot of love around these forums. I like it, but I'm not sure I'd count it as one of their best. Again, though, it's been a while since I've listened to NLOTH so perhaps I'll give that one another listen as too.

SLABT has grown on me. Definitely very haunting, good song.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2016, 11:11:26 AM »

I would say at this point, U2 are a slight notch below the likes of the Beatles, the Stones, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin. I love the Who, but I'm not sure I'd put them in the same category as the Beatles and Stones. Another great album or two and they'd be close to but definitely not better than the Beatles and Stones. I would also say that U2 have aged far better than the Stones (who really haven't made anything good since the early 80s).

In terms of tours, yes, they are definitely one of the best live bands of all time, both in terms of entertainment, performance, and commercial success. You don't have the biggest tour of all time with a mediocre live show.

I should note that I'm not a huge fan of the Beatles or Stones, but as a musician I respect them and their high ranking.

As far as their post-Pop output (to answer an tha's question), the thing about U2 is that they've changed their sound many times throughout their career. There are some fans who enjoy all of the different sounds, some who jumped ship after AB, some who jumped ship after ATYCLB etc. This does not mean that the albums themselves are poor or lesser quality than earlier albums (so much of music is subjective), it just means that some fans don't like the 00s stuff.

There is a reason why people loved ATYCLB and HTDAAB. The albums had some incredibly well crafted pop rock songs. Pop rock isn't really my thing, so I don't like these albums as much as their late 80s/all 90s output, but they are still good songs. To call them uninspired or ordinary...well, I'd have to disagree with this because if they were, you wouldn't have so many fans (both casual and die hard U2 fans) who love those albums. You also wouldn't have so many critics who reviewed those albums so favorably.

I will agree that NLOTH was pretty uninspired in parts and that it was also extremely overproduced which wrecked songs that had potential. SoI was better in that it wasn't as overproduced and seemed to be more inspired, but still would have benefitted from less emphasis on achieving a pop music hit.

It will be interesting to see where they go with SoE. It very well could be a great album....or it could be another forced attempt at achieving pop music relevance.

Count me in the minority, too. ATYCLB and Bomb are very enjoyable albums if you listen to them without comparing them to U2's past albums.

I think U2 had a 20-year period where they made very good music, 1980-2000.  This is longer than any period managed by the Beatles, whose members’ solo efforts (with the exception of Plastic Ono Band) were somewhat disappointing.  The Stones made fantastic records 1963-1972.  Some would argue that Some Girls in 1978 was a classic album too, but that still gives us only 14 years making great records.  I wouldn't waste your time on the Stones 80s and 90s albums. 

As a live act U2 are still powerful after 40 years.  Watching the Stones playing songs like Can’t You Hear Me Knocking at Glastonbury you can see they’re still a class live act too.   But they do rely almost exclusively on material from the first 10 years of their career, just as The Who and Paul McCartney do as well. U2 haven’t yet become a nostalgia act, and that’s to their credit as I cannot think of any other mainstream act 3 or 4 decades into their career which is basing their act on recent recordings.

If U2’s 00 output was as bad as some on here state people would’ve lost interest and this forum would’ve died a death long ago; the lively critical debate shows their output continues to inspire interest and discussion, which is a pretty awesome achievement given they’ve been doing this for 40 years.

I’m rather expect they’ll strive for pop-relevance with SoE, but I hope not.

Offline georgemccauley

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
Great to see NLOH not coming in last at the moment. And equally nice to see SOI beating the likes of ATYCLB, although i prefer the latter