Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (24.1%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
24 (14.8%)
No Line On The Horizon
37 (22.8%)
Songs of Innocence
62 (38.3%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 4199 times)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #75 on: January 15, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think it just means that SOI is their least offensive album since Pop.

What do you mean by least offensive? 

I'm guessing you mean there are fewer songs to skip on SOI. It has fewer with cringe worthy lyrics than the other albums.
Yep, it's the best of the worst.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #76 on: January 15, 2017, 12:02:47 PM »
1. All That You Can't Leave Behind
2. Songs of Innocence
3. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
4. No Line On The Horizon

I don't like NLOTH at all.

I'm with you on that last point. I've a hard time ranking the other three, but I think I'd put SOI in top.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #77 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:47 PM »
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb, not even a contest.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #78 on: January 17, 2017, 02:03:26 AM »
ATYCLB for side A.

Offline U2boy14

• Wanderer
  • Dream Out Loud
« Reply #79 on: January 17, 2017, 03:35:04 PM »
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
No Line on The Horizon
Songs of Innocence
All That You Can't Leave Behind

I know, I'm in the minority LOL

Offline NOLA Fly

• Staring at the Sun
  • Feel like trash, You make me feel clean...
« Reply #80 on: January 17, 2017, 03:40:58 PM »
Dogfight between ATYCLB and SOI.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #81 on: January 17, 2017, 03:55:35 PM »
Dogfight between ATYCLB and SOI.

Yes.  I do wonder if 10 years from now SOI will be as far ahead of ATYCLB as it currently is.  I do, however, agree with the point that SOI stands together well as an album rather than just a collection of songs.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #82 on: January 17, 2017, 05:57:29 PM »
SOI - even the outtakes are good songs.

Offline DK46

• Stateless
« Reply #83 on: January 17, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »
My gut says ATYCLB as that was my first U2 album and how I got into them.  Overtime, my fondness for it has faded, but I can still listen to it and it's soaked in nostalgia for me.  I do think there are some pretty good songs on it.  Still, those sessions yielded Stateless, TGBHF, Levitate, Love You Like Mad, Big Girls Are Best to name few, which I enjoy.

Out of those 4, I'm tempted to say Songs of Innocence is the strongest album, which has a very strong back half, side A not so much.  I also like the b-sides.  As many have pointed out, it's got the strongest collection of songs that work together as a whole. 

HTDAAB, I don't hate, but too polished and should've been more raw, plus Yahweh is just...yikes (and I actually enjoy Wild Honey). 

NLOTH has some really strong songs, but I wish they went further with it.  It's decent, but had more potential, so ultimately disappointing.   It's those middle three songs that bring it down a bit, perhaps the 2 EPs idea they originally had (Daylight/Darkness) was better. 

I guess, I'll say SOI is my favorite for now.   

On a separate note, I think NLOTH has my favorite cover art of their 00s albums, but that's not altogether a tough decision for me.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 08:29:07 PM by DK46 »

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #84 on: January 18, 2017, 08:02:47 AM »
ATYCLB + SOI

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #85 on: January 18, 2017, 05:10:35 PM »
I guess for me SOI is the best of the worst.  It is the most consistent of the 4 albums.  HTDAAB should have less production, and they should have used the lyrics of Native Son or Xanax and Wine instead of Vertigo and Fast Cars.  NLOTH would easily be a top album if they hadn't included the middle third.  ATYCLB hasn't aged well for me (SOI might suffer the same fate as time moves on).

As for U2's greatness, it's very subjective.  I don't like comparing them to the Beatles, Stones, LZ, or PF.  They are of different eras with different styles, peers, and so on.  The question should be whether they will be seen as the best of their generation or era.  They will be ranked up there with Springsteen, and perhaps few others (I don't want to intermix the 90's yet because there are a lot of great albums, but I am not sure with regard to great bands).   

To use the bad aspects of the last 10 years to say whether U2 is or isn't a great, is a disservice.  Most bands are not good at their latter years, even LZ was not that great with their last 4 albums compared to their peak anyway. 

I'm not entirely sure U2 is that bad with the last 4 albums other than they seem really bad compared to the 90's.  I do think that when time goes on, U2 will be seen as great for more than JT and AB.  TUF, Boy, and War will be seen as all time great rock albums, and as diehard fans, we'll see arguments that Zooropa and Pop are among U2's greatest too.  They will deservedly be mentioned in at least a similar breath as the Rolling Stones or any of the previous greats, even if they are not quite to their stature.  U2 are realistically probably of a similar level as the Who, which I like better than many of the other 60's and 70's greats anyway. 

In the end, how much should it matter to us.  We all like what we like.  There are plenty of cringeworthy artists and albums that I like.  So be it.  We were all young, and the music of our youth tends to stick with us to some extent, even when it may be bad. 

Offline elevation360

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #86 on: January 18, 2017, 05:48:00 PM »
Of the four, NLOTH is the only one I can't stand.

I was a preteen when HTDAAB came out, so the Vertigo/iPod thing was huge. I feel a similar nostalgia for ATYCLB. SOI surprised me and has become one of my favorite U2 records of all time. I'm new to the forum, but I expect some major bashing for that.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2017, 06:17:19 PM »
CoL is for me by far the best song on NLOTH.....it is just a shame that the album is so uneven, so unfocused and had such dogs shoehorned onto it like the abomination that is Crazy Tonight...Will I Am must have been laughing his bo****ks off..

Had the band been brave enough to put more stuff like CoL on NLOTH it would have been a good album.

NLOTH would've been perfect if they:

1. Dumped Stand-Up Comedy and Crazy, and replaced with Winter, and a more developed Soon
2. Took some of the production out of Magnificent
3. Used a different mix of Boots, e.g. Something closer to the Fish Out of Water Mix.
4. Made MoS the lead single

Sure, that's a lot of 'IFs', but IMO, that would've made NLOTH the best album since PoP. That said, it probably is anyway.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #88 on: January 19, 2017, 01:15:55 PM »
Of the four, NLOTH is the only one I can't stand.

I was a preteen when HTDAAB came out, so the Vertigo/iPod thing was huge. I feel a similar nostalgia for ATYCLB. SOI surprised me and has become one of my favorite U2 records of all time. I'm new to the forum, but I expect some major bashing for that.

Nah, nobody should bash you for liking SOI.  Or any album, for that matter.  The forum should be friendly, even with differing opinions.

Besides, you've already stated you can't stand NLOTH, so you're already right on that point. :)

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #89 on: January 24, 2017, 04:07:29 PM »
The Troubles is decent. Volcano opens with promise but is betrayed by an awful chorus. Miracle has way too many "Aaaaaah Oh"s.   And what the hell is Joey Ramone mentioned in the title for?  It has as much to do with Joey Ramone as Sunday  Bloody Sunday does with Bart Simpson.

I can agree with your Miracle criticisms but yea Troubles is amazing and Volcano is ok def not my fav.

Honestly i took his name in the song as a tribute to him since he loved U2 and he had recently died when the album came out. My time table may be off but i think he died a few months or so before the album so i took the title as a dedication to him, not like the song sounds punk or references Ramone in the lyrics.

He died in 2001.

I thought it was obvious the song is about hearing his
Voice for the first time and making bono want to become a singer in a band.
"The most beautiful sound id ever heard"
"Heard a song that made some sense out of the world"
"I was young, not dumb
Just wishing to be blinded
By you, brand new
And we were pilgrims on our way"