Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (25.5%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
21 (13.7%)
No Line On The Horizon
34 (22.2%)
Songs of Innocence
59 (38.6%)

Total Members Voted: 150

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 2652 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Although it is not perfect, I have to agree with the majority here that Songs of Innocence is their best since 2000 as an overall album.  The other three have some good songs and some not so good (e.g. "Kite" is great), but the theme of SOI helps elevate (no pun intended) the album over the others.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
ATYCLB because it has so much joy in it.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Refugee
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Imagine you knock off the best song off each album.

SOI is hands down still the most consistent listen

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
ATYCLB wasn't exactly my thing at the time. I had moved on musically in part thanks to u2 for introducing me to new sounds through their 90's experimental phase and had little interest in their direction change back then. In hind sight seems like a well put together album, stand out or at least identifiable singles (something they haven't had since) with common themes and Sonics running throughout giving the sense of a well accomplished and complete piece of work. Looking at it objectively if possible to do, I would say potentially the closest thing to a classic since AB and they have not produced a better album since.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Songs of Innocence/No Line On the Horizon tie for me.

Offline CLarryG

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
NLOTH by far...

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
I voted for the underdog of U2's 2000's albums...Atomic Bomb. I would've preferred to have had 'Smile' and 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever?' on the album in place of 'Crumbs' and 'Yahweh' but the rest of the album is killer material in my opinion. The album also came along at a time in my life when I was saying goodbye to some people and things that meant a lot to me so I have a really personal connection with it, it still hits me in the gut with every listen.

SOI is a close second mainly due to everything from 'Iris' onwards.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »
If we take Achtung baby as a 10/10....

ATYCLB 7/10
HTDAAB 6/10
NLOTH 6/10
SOI 2/10

SOI, for me, is a dreadful album and in 2 years I think it will have plummeted down a lot of people's lists. U2s biggest disappointment by miles. Bland, boring, cringeworthy, ridiculously personal (made worse by forcing it onto the world). Huge misstep and one that will take a massive turnaround.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
I think i take each album based on what i think the band are going for at that particular time, So i generally enjoy the lads post PoP output. I think ATYCLB really took the band into the next phase after the 90's. Someone already mentioned, But U2 are in their 50's now, The constant comparisons to AB and JT must do their heads in, But that's the high standards they set themselves. Songs like 'Wild honey' get bashed on this forum but i love it, I think it's a great tune for the album it's on. SOI gets bashed because of the method of release, And some people will never be satisfied with the music no matter what U2 do. But i still very much enjoy kicking back with a drink and listening to NLOTH and HTDAAB. There's very little 'groundbreaking' left to do with music nowadays, I'm just happy the lads are still making new records and touring, Because for me, Almost anything U2 put out will be better than some of the s**t in the charts now. Thats my one problem, Is that to be 'relevant' U2 think they need a No.1. They don't. They just need to let themselves be a bit free in the studio and not over-think it. Make us an album in 3 months start to finish and just release it, no over-polishing! Looking forward to SOE and what that will bring :D

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think i take each album based on what i think the band are going for at that particular time, So i generally enjoy the lads post PoP output. I think ATYCLB really took the band into the next phase after the 90's. Someone already mentioned, But U2 are in their 50's now, The constant comparisons to AB and JT must do their heads in, But that's the high standards they set themselves. Songs like 'Wild honey' get bashed on this forum but i love it, I think it's a great tune for the album it's on. SOI gets bashed because of the method of release, And some people will never be satisfied with the music no matter what U2 do. But i still very much enjoy kicking back with a drink and listening to NLOTH and HTDAAB. There's very little 'groundbreaking' left to do with music nowadays, I'm just happy the lads are still making new records and touring, Because for me, Almost anything U2 put out will be better than some of the s**t in the charts now. Thats my one problem, Is that to be 'relevant' U2 think they need a No.1. They don't. They just need to let themselves be a bit free in the studio and not over-think it. Make us an album in 3 months start to finish and just release it, no over-polishing! Looking forward to SOE and what that will bring :D

Well said, good post.