Poll

Favorite or best (even if you don't listen to it that much anymore.)

All That You Can't Leave Behind
39 (23.9%)
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
24 (14.7%)
No Line On The Horizon
38 (23.3%)
Songs of Innocence
62 (38%)

Total Members Voted: 153

Author Topic: Favorite album since 2000?  (Read 5074 times)

Offline andrewau2

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Smack in the centre of contradiction = place to be
Re: Favorite album since 2000?
« Reply #90 on: February 26, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Although it is not perfect, I have to agree with the majority here that Songs of Innocence is their best since 2000 as an overall album.  The other three have some good songs and some not so good (e.g. "Kite" is great), but the theme of SOI helps elevate (no pun intended) the album over the others.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #91 on: February 26, 2017, 12:06:43 PM »
ATYCLB because it has so much joy in it.

Offline ZEROpartII

• Child of Grace
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2017, 07:07:54 PM »
Imagine you knock off the best song off each album.

SOI is hands down still the most consistent listen

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #93 on: March 01, 2017, 04:38:42 PM »
ATYCLB wasn't exactly my thing at the time. I had moved on musically in part thanks to u2 for introducing me to new sounds through their 90's experimental phase and had little interest in their direction change back then. In hind sight seems like a well put together album, stand out or at least identifiable singles (something they haven't had since) with common themes and Sonics running throughout giving the sense of a well accomplished and complete piece of work. Looking at it objectively if possible to do, I would say potentially the closest thing to a classic since AB and they have not produced a better album since.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
Songs of Innocence/No Line On the Horizon tie for me.

Offline CLarryG

• Babyface
« Reply #95 on: March 08, 2017, 05:52:40 PM »
NLOTH by far...

Offline Discothèque Slug 82

• Babyface
  • I'm staying on to figure out my midlife crisis...
« Reply #96 on: March 13, 2017, 04:41:42 PM »
I voted for the underdog of U2's 2000's albums...Atomic Bomb. I would've preferred to have had 'Smile' and 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever?' on the album in place of 'Crumbs' and 'Yahweh' but the rest of the album is killer material in my opinion. The album also came along at a time in my life when I was saying goodbye to some people and things that meant a lot to me so I have a really personal connection with it, it still hits me in the gut with every listen.

SOI is a close second mainly due to everything from 'Iris' onwards.

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #97 on: March 16, 2017, 10:22:24 PM »
If we take Achtung baby as a 10/10....

ATYCLB 7/10
HTDAAB 6/10
NLOTH 6/10
SOI 2/10

SOI, for me, is a dreadful album and in 2 years I think it will have plummeted down a lot of people's lists. U2s biggest disappointment by miles. Bland, boring, cringeworthy, ridiculously personal (made worse by forcing it onto the world). Huge misstep and one that will take a massive turnaround.

Offline MadRob360

• Refugee
  • Jealousy Is A Disease
« Reply #98 on: March 17, 2017, 09:39:04 AM »
I think i take each album based on what i think the band are going for at that particular time, So i generally enjoy the lads post PoP output. I think ATYCLB really took the band into the next phase after the 90's. Someone already mentioned, But U2 are in their 50's now, The constant comparisons to AB and JT must do their heads in, But that's the high standards they set themselves. Songs like 'Wild honey' get bashed on this forum but i love it, I think it's a great tune for the album it's on. SOI gets bashed because of the method of release, And some people will never be satisfied with the music no matter what U2 do. But i still very much enjoy kicking back with a drink and listening to NLOTH and HTDAAB. There's very little 'groundbreaking' left to do with music nowadays, I'm just happy the lads are still making new records and touring, Because for me, Almost anything U2 put out will be better than some of the s**t in the charts now. Thats my one problem, Is that to be 'relevant' U2 think they need a No.1. They don't. They just need to let themselves be a bit free in the studio and not over-think it. Make us an album in 3 months start to finish and just release it, no over-polishing! Looking forward to SOE and what that will bring :D

Offline missey

• Child of Grace
« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2017, 03:44:40 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think i take each album based on what i think the band are going for at that particular time, So i generally enjoy the lads post PoP output. I think ATYCLB really took the band into the next phase after the 90's. Someone already mentioned, But U2 are in their 50's now, The constant comparisons to AB and JT must do their heads in, But that's the high standards they set themselves. Songs like 'Wild honey' get bashed on this forum but i love it, I think it's a great tune for the album it's on. SOI gets bashed because of the method of release, And some people will never be satisfied with the music no matter what U2 do. But i still very much enjoy kicking back with a drink and listening to NLOTH and HTDAAB. There's very little 'groundbreaking' left to do with music nowadays, I'm just happy the lads are still making new records and touring, Because for me, Almost anything U2 put out will be better than some of the s**t in the charts now. Thats my one problem, Is that to be 'relevant' U2 think they need a No.1. They don't. They just need to let themselves be a bit free in the studio and not over-think it. Make us an album in 3 months start to finish and just release it, no over-polishing! Looking forward to SOE and what that will bring :D

Well said, good post.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2017, 01:23:29 AM »
The Troubles is decent. Volcano opens with promise but is betrayed by an awful chorus. Miracle has way too many "Aaaaaah Oh"s.   And what the hell is Joey Ramone mentioned in the title for?  It has as much to do with Joey Ramone as Sunday  Bloody Sunday does with Bart Simpson.

I can agree with your Miracle criticisms but yea Troubles is amazing and Volcano is ok def not my fav.

Honestly i took his name in the song as a tribute to him since he loved U2 and he had recently died when the album came out. My time table may be off but i think he died a few months or so before the album so i took the title as a dedication to him, not like the song sounds punk or references Ramone in the lyrics.

He died in 2001.

I thought it was obvious the song is about hearing his
Voice for the first time and making bono want to become a singer in a band.
"The most beautiful sound id ever heard"
"Heard a song that made some sense out of the world"
"I was young, not dumb
Just wishing to be blinded
By you, brand new
And we were pilgrims on our way"

So what's the connection between Bart and SBS since the link between Joey and The Miracle has been established?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2017, 03:23:01 AM »

For me it all comes down to what we as listeners are looking for from music and in the case of u2, u2!

This is of course an individual thing and we are all different...I want to be challenged, I want to put a new album on from u2 or any artist I like and go 'wow this is something, this is something new, fresh, different' but even more than that I want to be challenged and stimulated.

I'll use PJ Harvey as an example - White Chalk in 07 was an album of introspective piano led almost chamber music!

Lifted from wiki where it is articulated better than I can..."The previous album Uh Huh Her had a raw sound[5] but for this record White Chalk, Rolling Stone's magazine noted that Harvey "delved further into a Goth-like vibe in the much quieter, haunting, piano-based music".[5] For this album she gave up the traditional three-piece sound guitar/bass/drums and recorded a set of songs for piano, despite her lack of expertise on the instrument. In an interview in The Wire she explained "the great thing about learning a new instrument from scratch is that it [...] liberates your imagination."[6]

Vocally, she sang in a much higher register than usual, at a pitch outside her normal range and "howled about being possessed by demon lovers and ghosts".[7] Lyrically, Harvey continued with the dark, moody themes typical of much of her music"....

She then returned 4 years later with the astonishing 'Let England Shake' - a war album that could be loosely called a folk album....with autoharp feauturing heavily.

Described perfectly in a review as:

"a set of songs strikingly different from what came before" and added that "its complexities make it one of Harvey's most cleverly crafted works."[24] Praising it as Harvey's "most affecting and impressive work so far", Mike Williams of NME wrote: "Francis Ford Coppola can lay claim to the war movie. Ernest Hemingway the war novel. Polly Jean Harvey, a 41-year-old from Dorset, has claimed the war album."...

Fast forward another 5 years and she is releasing an album that incorporates jazz and pyschedelia that is about housing projects in The USA!

An artist there pushing boundaries, crossing genres and tackling new instruments, new styles and themes....

U2 seem to have mired themselves firmly in a very safe, very predictable style and sound - a pop rock MOR safety net often with grand themes that aren't really saying much and at times the most vapid of subject matter.....the willingness to try new things to experiment, the braveness that once was their calling card seem neutered...

Of course not everyone wants to be challenged or to listen to songs with unusual structures, no choruses, sung in strange keys, using strange instruments etc and that is ok - we are all different....but i would love u2 to cut loose and do stuff like that...

I would love Edge to go and take a knife to the neck of his guitar and see what sounds he could create...I'd love Larry to play a time signature that was f***** up...etc....because i actually think u2 are and always have been a much better alternative act than they are a pop rock act and the odd flash they sometimes show in recent years of being more experimental backs that up for me....but they bury that work ala SLABT and release to the masses sh**e like SFS or more 'here is another big dumb rawk song ala Vertigo and Elevation' like The Miracle.

Nearly 20 years now of largely formulaic pop rock with the same old tricks, same old sound..  they can do better - but seem afraid to do so.

That is my take anyway...of course many, many will disgaree and are happy and love what u2 do - that is of course absolutely their right as much as it is mine to want something new, something more!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 03:35:05 AM by an tha »

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2017, 10:14:32 AM »
The Troubles is decent. Volcano opens with promise but is betrayed by an awful chorus. Miracle has way too many "Aaaaaah Oh"s.   And what the hell is Joey Ramone mentioned in the title for?  It has as much to do with Joey Ramone as Sunday  Bloody Sunday does with Bart Simpson.

I can agree with your Miracle criticisms but yea Troubles is amazing and Volcano is ok def not my fav.

Honestly i took his name in the song as a tribute to him since he loved U2 and he had recently died when the album came out. My time table may be off but i think he died a few months or so before the album so i took the title as a dedication to him, not like the song sounds punk or references Ramone in the lyrics.

He died in 2001.

I thought it was obvious the song is about hearing his
Voice for the first time and making bono want to become a singer in a band.
"The most beautiful sound id ever heard"
"Heard a song that made some sense out of the world"
"I was young, not dumb
Just wishing to be blinded
By you, brand new
And we were pilgrims on our way"

So what's the connection between Bart and SBS since the link between Joey and The Miracle has been established?

There was once a Simpsons episode titled "Sunday Cruddy Sunday" which was a tongue-in-cheek play off the song. U2 once co-starred in a Simpsons episode. U2 have been mentioned or somewhat featured in other Simpsons episodes, such as the time the Simpsons visited Ireland and saw a billboard for U2 Moving Company - they move in mysterious ways. In the Simpsons movie, one character meets a do-gooder Irish kid and asks who his father is after he says his dad is a famous Irish musician. He replies "it's not Bono!"

There's your loose connections.  ;)

Quite obviously, the link between Miracle and Joey Ramone is a lot stronger than the Bart/SBS link.  ;)

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »

An artist there pushing boundaries, crossing genres and tackling new instruments, new styles and themes....

U2 seem to have mired themselves firmly in a very safe, very predictable style and sound - a pop rock MOR safety net often with grand themes that aren't really saying much and at times the most vapid of subject matter.....the willingness to try new things to experiment, the braveness that once was their calling card seem neutered...

Of course not everyone wants to be challenged or to listen to songs with unusual structures, no choruses, sung in strange keys, using strange instruments etc and that is ok - we are all different....but i would love u2 to cut loose and do stuff like that...

Well, the clock hasn't run out yet - they may yet surprise you.  I give them some credit for at least trying on the Fez sessions and the result was some interesting musical concepts worked into the final product.  Unfortunately it seems like they put the clamp down on it real quick, cut bait and threw in a couple of real slipshod attempts at charting songs in the middle.

I appreciate your opinions but I also see a little bit of value in protecting the brand.  Yeah, it's safe...it's super business-like and calculated.  But I still think there is quite a bit left in the tank for U2, and I think SOI is on the whole a good album.  I also think there are some very shining moments on NLOTH.

I suppose I don't have a post-2000 favorite album...all four have very strong points and glaring flaws.  I tend towards NLOTH because I think it's underappreciated, but I also think SOI comes closest to a cohesive album but it's nothing like the tightness of albums like TUF and Achtung Baby, which are thematic and well constructed throughout.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 12:56:26 PM by aviastar »

howyousawtheworld

« Reply #104 on: March 31, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Just listened to Moment of Surrender again.

Absolutely sensational piece of music.