Author Topic: The Case for Rattle and Hum  (Read 2398 times)

Offline Spaderholic

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: The Case for Rattle and Hum
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2017, 06:52:44 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Did someone say 'The case of Rattle and Hum'

Lol, groan! :)

I do like Rattle & Hum a lot. Sure, it's a mixed bag and there's some tracks I'm not keen on (especially the covers) but, for me, the album is more than worth it for:

Desire
Hawkmoon 269
Angel Of Harlem
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You

All great songs. Hallelujah Here She Comes should have been on the album too.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:43 PM »
Well, if they are releasing September 28, 1987 which may have been funded by Paramount then maybe they have worked out the legal issues regarding the content from the film and album. 

Offline Hwy 190

• Babyface
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2017, 12:16:21 AM »
Love R&H. It has Hawkmoon on it...'nuff said.

OH HAYUL YEAH!

I actually love the whole album, and always have, but Hawkmoon just does it for me!

Even before certain *ahem* stories.

OH HAYUL YEAH!

I actually love the whole album, and always have, but Hawkmoon just does it for me!

If you haven't already, be sure to see and hear the live version of Hawkmoon 269 on YouTube.  The video is old and of low quality, but it sounds fantastic.  Love to hear this on the new tour.  Edge's western slide guitar intro is awesome!

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2017, 04:51:47 AM »

OH HAYUL YEAH!

OH HAYUL YEAH!

If you haven't already, be sure to see and hear the live version of Hawkmoon 269 on YouTube.  The video is old and of low quality, but it sounds fantastic.  Love to hear this on the new tour.  Edge's western slide guitar intro is awesome!
YES! This video's audio is one of my fav's, even if the visuals aren't so great. Audio is awesome...

Offline cocamojoe

• Refugee
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2017, 12:36:57 PM »
I've always liked the album, ever since I was in high school (graduated in 2000), though I by no means think that it's perfect. While I think that my perspective may be different, as I was too young when it came out to have any thoughts from then; perhaps it lends a little bit more objectivity?

With that said, the Joshua Tree was so huge, that I think that, stellar singles like Desire aside, a follow-up was doomed to disappoint many, almost automatically. Sure, one could point at it's sales numbers to debunk that; but, they were so popular at that time, and it came out so soon after JT tour ended, that anything that they'd have put out was a guarantee to sell well.

Songs like Desire, Hawkmoon, All I Want Is You, Angel Of Harlem, are fantastic; and, God Part 2 was kinda cool; stylistically, in how it seemed to foreshadow their new direction with Achtung Baby (though calling it God Part 2 was kinda pompous, supposedly being a "sequel" to John Lennon's song God). My musical criticisms are almost exclusively with the live covers: Helter Skelter isn't bad for being sloppy; it's bad, because Bono can't even get the lyrics right. All along The Watchtower isn't horrible, but the version included here is an utter bore compared to other versions, readily available in bootleg form to this day, from the very same tour. Minus Bono's annoying "am I bugging ya'? Play the blues, Edge!" comment in Silver & Gold, the other live cuts are fantastic.

With that said, I know that this is anathema to many, but I've always found Heartland to be boring. Imagine if they had instead cut that, and included A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel instead!

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2017, 08:04:34 PM »
I don't think U2 knew what to be at this stage but knew that striking while the iron was hot was the right thing to do. What we hear is the band emptying the vaults, both on the album and B sides to the released singles.
Its hit and miss but it still has moments of utter brilliance that are diluted by some mediocre tunes and over earnest soundbites (SBS, taken in the context which it is meant, it's not one of these).

What is often overlooked though is the remixes that started to appear on the B sides of the singles. The dance beats etc show that the band were already starting to dream it all up again as early as 88/89.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 08:54:13 AM »
I don't think U2 knew what to be at this stage but knew that striking while the iron was hot was the right thing to do. What we hear is the band emptying the vaults, both on the album and B sides to the released singles.
Its hit and miss but it still has moments of utter brilliance that are diluted by some mediocre tunes and over earnest soundbites (SBS, taken in the context which it is meant, it's not one of these).

What is often overlooked though is the remixes that started to appear on the B sides of the singles. The dance beats etc show that the band were already starting to dream it all up again as early as 88/89.

hmmmmm? with the exception of Heartland those songs were written during R&H

Offline pdk

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2017, 11:22:45 AM »
From the film it's pretty obvious that All Along the Watchtower was something they threw together at the last minute and decided to perform. It's not anything amazing but it's certainly not bad either.

I think that's the point - if they threw it together for a live concert that's one thing.  But putting on the album makes a bit of a statement. i.e. "Here's our take on this American classic".  If it's not a groundbreaking rendition it ends up being just another cover, and completely unremarkable.  That's why I say it's all downside, no upside.  It's a big reason why critics accused them of appropriation and arrogance.

Have you guys heard the later in the tour version from Australia?  I think they developed it very well.  The R&H version is...okay.

Offline Blueyedboy

• Numb
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2017, 10:19:54 PM »

hmmmmm? with the exception of Heartland those songs were written during R&H

How very correct you are. I'm talking cr4p as usual  :).

The point I was over eager to make was that Achtung Baby was already in its embryonic stage on this album. There was already a shift towards dance beats and heavy industrial sound on God PT 2 and remixes on B sides. There was a distinct lack of original material left to populate the album and the b sides at this point.

Told you I was talking cr4p.

Offline MEMORY_MAN

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I must follow the path to the endless road...
« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 10:04:16 AM »
I love Rattle and Hum - start to finish.  It's a musical journey.  Rattle and Hum the movie and album paired with Under a Blood Red Sky and The Joshua Tree made me a huge U2 fan in the late 80s and led me to discover all of their other albums.  This was all in anticipation of what would become Achtung Baby.  Huge fan of this album and thankful it happened in order to bring me to become a U2 fan.

Offline Manos73

• Numb
  • Stop trying to change the world, I like it.
« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2017, 11:27:33 PM »
I'd like to see a "R&H sessions" album with just the studio tracks, b-sides and covers from that era. Remastered, of course. Maybe with some demos and remixes to fill it out into a box set.

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 01:23:19 PM »
I love Rattle and Hum - start to finish.  It's a musical journey.  Rattle and Hum the movie and album paired with Under a Blood Red Sky and The Joshua Tree made me a huge U2 fan in the late 80s and led me to discover all of their other albums.  This was all in anticipation of what would become Achtung Baby.  Huge fan of this album and thankful it happened in order to bring me to become a U2 fan.

I agree Memory Man,

I became a fan after TJT and really looked forward to R&H when I learned there was going to be a new album.  I never understood the volume of negative reaction—especially by critics—at the album and film.  Having listened to the album and seen film many times, I still believe they are both good.  Admittedly, I was never a fan of live albums but have grown to like them when the recordings were good.  In the case of R&H, they are good. I had just graduated high school when they came out and wasn’t a very sophisticated listener, but I always liked the new songs.

Focusing on the new songs:

Desire
Van Diemen’s Land
Hawkmoon 269
Angel of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Loves Comes To Town
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You

Wow, I can’t imagine the band’s catalog without these songs. I feel that maybe some of them (Hawkmoon 269, Heartland) are not as strong, but the others are solid pieces.  Taking into consideration that they were exploring country, blues, even gospel, it’s interesting to see these influences in these songs.  Angel of Harlem, Love Rescue Me and All I Want Is You remain some of my favorite songs (although the list is long).  It would be great to see a remastered version, complete with previously unreleased material

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2017, 02:59:33 PM »
U2 & fans seem to like Heatland. Edge said it was nearly finished in time for TJT. Can't think where they would put it on TJT.

I've never been a big fan of it. Although it's worthy of it's place on R & H.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 03:02:40 PM by zoo adam »

Offline Achtung Ninja

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2017, 03:31:39 PM »
U2 & fans seem to like Heatland. Edge said it was nearly finished in time for TJT. Can't think where they would put it on TJT.

Agreed.  And if they decide to remaster it, I'd buy it.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2017, 04:14:26 PM »

oh it's a classic. and it would have gone in place of TTYW. they excluded it cuz that would have made side 2 to slow.