Author Topic: The Case for Rattle and Hum  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
Re: The Case for Rattle and Hum
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2017, 02:54:30 PM »
R+H is awful. Should always have been two separate records. The live stuff has NO place on the album. Not one note of it. At all.

Split those two out, they'd make a great live album and a very strong studio record.

Also.

>OK EDGE PLAY THE BLUES.

>Edge plays the unblueist solo ever

Offline DK46

• Refugee
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Honestly, I understand all the problems with R&H, but I still relish it.  Yes, it's pure bombast and overblown to the max, but I can't help but enjoy it.  "Edge play the Blues," "Apart-HEID!," the opening line of the movie, I mean, yeah, it's cringeworthy, but still, it somehow works for me.  I think Bono meant it from a good place, despite the results, but the dude can't help himself hehe.  That said, as a live act, they were beyond killer during this era.  Exit simply rocks.

All that said, I largely agree the live stuff doesn't quite mix so well.  It's also the film that hurt the album.  But the original studio tracks are pretty good to downright amazing.  Desire, Hawkmoon 269, Angel of Harlem & All I Want Is You are top tier U2 for me.  I quite enjoy the other tracks too. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 02:55:03 PM by DK46 »

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2017, 08:30:21 PM »
Yup. The studio tracks rank right up there with their best work. If they added a few more studio songs (She's A Mystery would have been a #1 hit) and axed the live stuff it would be right up there with JT and AB in my opinion.

Hawkmoon 269
Van Diemens Land
Desire
She's A Mystery
Heartland
God Part II

Room at the Heartbreak Hotel
Angel of Harlem
When Love Comes to Town
Love Rescue Me
All I Want is You

Singles
1. Desire
2. She's A Mystery
3. Angel of Harlem
4. All I Want is You

That's a pretty damn good album

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2017, 09:22:46 PM »
Here's my improved Rattle & Hum:

1. Heartland
2. Race Against Time
3. Drunk Chicken/America
4. God, Pt. II

Offline paisteguy

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »
I love Rattle & Hum. "Heartland" is a song I would love to hear the band play live.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2017, 08:57:53 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Here's my improved Rattle & Hum:

1. Heartland
2. Race Against Time
3. Drunk Chicken/America
4. God, Pt. II

even better than that is THIS!

so i tried a new playlist today and it's a big improvement!

VDL <finally got around to editing about 30 seconds of it out, removing the audience clapping at the beginning and the interview crap at the end>
Desire
God p2
Hawk
Sweet Fire of Love <this was the only song i added in and it works GREAT!>
Heartland
ARATHH
AoH
WLCTT
LRM
H[HSC]
AIWIY

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2017, 07:44:47 PM »
It's not an album I return to often, but it sure has some great moments.  Love "Heartland"!

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2017, 08:05:07 PM »
I really like the artwork in this album.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Argo

• Party Girl/Boy
  • I Am Here
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2017, 09:03:26 PM »
I'd never heard Sweet Fire of Love before. Not bad.

Rattle and Hum was around the time I discovered U2. Having a combination of studio tracks and live tracks was pretty helpful in having me fall for U2 at the time. Can see why people don't like the combination but it was pretty important in hooking me into a long love affair with the band. I am sure none of that is why they did the combo of live and studio tracks but it worked for me at the time.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2017, 01:57:37 AM »
R+H is awful. Should always have been two separate records. The live stuff has NO place on the album. Not one note of it. At all.

Split those two out, they'd make a great live album and a very strong studio record.

Also.

>OK EDGE PLAY THE BLUES.

>Edge plays the unblueist solo ever

Then there is the buttock clenching cringefest that is that abomination gopsel thing they did to ISHFWILF - for me the most pretentious thing u2 has ever recorded.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2017, 02:16:10 AM »
I'd love to hear the U2 studio version of she's a mystery to me. It must be in the archive somewhere.

Offline aviastar

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2017, 05:34:34 AM »
Giving R+H a listen, what's with the Phil Janou interview clip after Van Dieman's Land?  The band seems so uninterested in taking part in a movie they greenlit and marketed.  There's a lot of little weird things on this album.

Still, there's a lot of good stuff on it.  The movie concert shots are fantastic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Blueyedboy

• Running to Stand Still
  • Embrace the challenge
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 06:19:17 AM »
It was of its time, had some excellent studio tracks on it and they had the balls to try something outside their comfort zone when the easy option would have been to make a Joshua Tree 2.
In the context that it was the overblown 80's, they had to not only full an album but also a movie full of music, the band were still only in their late 20's and they'd had smoke blown up their ar*e for the preeceding 18 months I think the results were pretty cool.

You could see by the B sides to the singles that the band were already dabbling with the AB sound regardless of how the album was received.

Offline Doming0

• Babyface
« Reply #58 on: May 20, 2017, 11:41:17 AM »

* The production on that album is better than any other U2 album.  Jimmy Iovine and his team got a powerful, punchy and atmospheric sound that just works for U2.

Of course, this is totally subjective. But Achtung Baby is actually the most well-produced album that I've ever heard, and there isn't much competition (in U2's discography, at least). With the exceptions of this album and maybe Zooropa, OS1, and Pop-- none of their albums are lauded for their production. R&H has no memorable production value, but when listening to any of the aforementioned albums I still hear new things with each listen.

* Bono's voice is at its absolute peak after ten years of constant touring and recording.  Listen to the three-octave range range of Hawkmoon for evidence.

Hard to argue there. I love Bono's vocals on later albums for the variety... like The Fly, for example (it includes both him singing in a lower register and in falsetto during the choruses). That's only preference though. Technically, he was superior in the 90s, but he did have a more impactful/powerful sound in the 80s.

* It contains some of their all-time best songs in Desire, Heartland, Angel of Harlem and All I Want is You.  If these had been brought out on an EP it would have been heralded a classic.

I won't disagree and say that R&H doesn't have any memorable songs. God Part II and Heartland are classics. There's something for everybody on this album, which is actually something I dislike... there is a difference between incorporating different styles and genres into an album and just slapping a few random songs together. See NLOTH, for example.

* The live tracks are well-performed, strong, atmospheric, three-dimensional.  Listen to the start of Bullet The Blue Sky or the sheer power of Pride.

I haven't listened to the live tracks in forever, so I don't have much to say regarding them... but the one that does stick with me is Helter Skelter. It isn't good, and I'm totally aware of that, but it's a fast and fun start that introduces you to the album. U2 could have been better but it serves its purpose.

* Even the trio of Sun tracks (When Love Comes To Town, Love Rescue Me) contain their own curiously little atmosphere and it was the band being adventurous and trying something different - which we don't get much of these days!

You're right, it is fun to see them experimenting with this genre. Still, we all know that those songs suck!

* It's the last album where they truly sounded like a band playing together, without clicks tracks, overdubs etc.

I never realized it, but you're kind of right. Sure, some Pop and Zooropa songs are more conventional (Stay and Velvet Dress, maybe...), but R&H was the last album where U2 just jammed and focused on making good songs rather than obsessing over every last detail in the studio. I would love if U2 recorded an album in the style of Blackstar. That album was raw, unpolished, and had attitude. Especially on songs like Sue and 'Tis A Pity..., where Bowie recorded in the same room as the band. (I don't know if that's 100% true, but it sounds right given all of the noises he accidentally makes into the microphone).

* The final two minutes of All I Want Is You has to be the best (and most heart-breaking) album ending of all all time.

Meh. It's overdone and kind of forced, but to each their own. Surely it's more believable than something like Grace, though!  :)

I prefer it to the Joshua Tree, War and anything they've done this century.
The Joshua Tree, as overrated as it is, still holds a few amazing songs like Exit that blow anything from R&H out of the water. War sucks, so maybe I could consider placing this over it. It is better than ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I'll agree!

I can't get behind much of what you've posted here.  I respect your opinion but we can't be friends.  =P

Offline benpoke

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2017, 08:18:07 AM »

I can't get behind much of what you've posted here.  I respect your opinion but we can't be friends.  =P

Don't get me wrong, Rattle and Hum is by no means my favourite U2 album, I just like to judge each album on its own merits and try and see the good in everything. 

There seems to be a received wisdom that R&H is absolute crap and that Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and (on this forum) Pop are pretty much perfect. 

I think all albums have their good and bad parts but R&H has a lot going for it and I hate seeing it unfairly maligned.  I find it a hugely enjoyable album and an interesting - wait for it - musical journey.