Author Topic: RIP George Michael  (Read 2310 times)

Offline Cityofblindinglights

• Wanderer
Re: RIP George Michael
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline mdmomof7

• Holy Joe
  • Im born again to the latest sound
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 05:49:14 PM »
Very sad news. Good riddance 2016! We'll keep shouting to the darkness to squeeze out sparks of light! ⚘

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Offline zedg

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • *POP*
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 06:04:28 PM »
Awful. RIP.
The year's not over yet..

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 07:02:35 PM »
Very sad news. We've lost so many talented and wonderful musicians this year.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 07:32:03 PM »
2016 sucked but at least we didn't lose any of our lads.

Don't tempt the 2016 gods. Seriously, don't mess with them. Every time I hear about a musician death, I get sad and then I get worried that it'll happen to someone from a band I really like.  :-\

WookieeWarrior10

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2016, 08:19:21 PM »
2017 can't come soon enough... Saddening  :(

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2016, 11:53:08 PM »
Bono and George Michael, way back in 1984 for Do They Know It's Christmas.

Borack

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 12:54:40 AM »
When George Michael was doing his 25 tour in summer 2008, the ticket sales for the local show were slow. So GM's folks made a deal to sell many seats for $25 for his 25 tour, and he then quickly almost sold out. Anyway, my girlfriend wanted to go, and I got more/less dragged to the event in one of these cheap seats. But I will say this. George kicked ass. He had an amazing band. And he played a large number and huge range of songs, including both those well known and obscure, with a lot of verve and energy and great singing and pretty good dancing too. He performed at least two long encores and even performed the song "Fantasy" apparently for the first time on a large stage. I entered the arena as a skeptic but emerged as a more appreciative fan, and also as one more willing to overlook the weird behavior and the tawdry headlines that dogged him - especially after the event. I don't listen to him often, but he was a great showman and had much more talent than I (or perhaps many) folks realized. He will be missed.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 12:54:12 AM by Borack »

Offline Belisama

• Original of the Species
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 02:25:14 AM »
Could not believe this news.  A part of me is still hoping it is some kind of repeat of the hoax but given the way Death has decimated our music this year. . .

Never a fan of Wham! and was not really a fan of solo George, however had to acknowledge his talent.  At the height of his popularity few did it better.  It is almost impossible not to tap your foot along to Faith or to sing along to Freedom '90.  Sadly I we only experienced a modicum of his talent before personal issues came to the forefront of his life.

RIP George

Offline Mark72

• Stateless
  • Modern Life Is Rubbish
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 03:25:12 AM »
Great memory was My Sister blasting out wham's fantastic L.P back in 83...much to my annoyance. But what a great song writer He became. He wrote Carless whisper aged 17!!! Loved his faith and listen without prejudice albums. R.I.P George 53?! Far too young...

Edit also He also covered Miss Sarajevo beautifully 
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 05:13:23 AM by Mark72 »

Offline PopMofo97

• Stateless
  • I'm ready, ready for the gridlock
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 06:47:52 AM »
Very sad news. Huge talent, amazing voice. This year took two of my favorite artists: Prince and George Michael. Rest in peace dear George.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 07:58:02 AM »
A sad day indeed. Wasn't a fan of his earlier stuff but the album 'listen without prejudice' highlighted what a great songwriter he was. He released some great ballads and funky tracks aswell, with the song and video for 'outside' perfectly satirising the LAPD after his 'public toilet' adventures. It's actually a very underrated song in itself.

A Wonderful singer blessed with a unique voice. 2016 will go down as a landmark year for the death of some great artists.

Offline JTNash

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Bono and George Michael, way back in 1984 for Do They Know It's Christmas.

I have watched the making of Do They Know it's Christmas 100 times lol and it's funny Boy George wouldn't shut up about George Michael being gay, it's too bad he spent a lot of his life tourtured by his secret

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2016, 11:12:45 AM »
I probably haven't played a song of his all year but feel down today. Stayed up much later than I intended to last night reading tributes and reaction. It seems I have greater interest and respect for him than I thought I did (if that makes sense?).

I bought Patience when it was still quite a fresh release and admittedly never really took to most of the material on there. But I suppose it was a sign of his massive crossover appeal that he could get someone like me (at that time mostly listening to guitar bands and electronica) to buy his CD.

Thought this thread was missing some George & Queen. You have to be a bit good to fill in for the departed Freddie.

[ didn't know about Miss Sarajevo - thanks for linking ]
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 11:14:35 AM by kango »

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2016, 11:13:20 AM »
Godspeed to a very talented and caring man!