Author Topic: RIP George Michael  (Read 2304 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Re: RIP George Michael
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 03:37:52 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I probably haven't played a song of his all year but feel down today. Stayed up much later than I intended to last night reading tributes and reaction. It seems I have greater interest and respect for him than I thought I did (if that makes sense?).

I bought Patience when it was still quite a fresh release and admittedly never really took to most of the material on there. But I suppose it was a sign of his massive crossover appeal that he could get someone like me (at that time mostly listening to guitar bands and electronica) to buy his CD.

Thought this thread was missing some George & Queen. You have to be a bit good to fill in for the departed Freddie.

[ didn't know about Miss Sarajevo - thanks for linking ]

Yeah, I remember hearing he did a cover of MS and expecting to hate it. I ended up loving it, which is rare for me and U2 covers. He did a pretty chill cover of Roxanne by the Police as well.

I ended up listening to a bunch of George Michael songs last night. Made me even sadder about his death. Very talented singer.

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 05:34:02 PM »
He allegedly had a heroin addiction, which may have contributed to his death. Just makes it sadder.

But on the flip side, he did a lot for charity, and helped people in need. This was never publicised, and done quietly behind the scenes.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 07:08:58 PM by The Edges Cat »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2016, 05:52:09 AM »
Hearing some amazing things now about his generosity and charity work. An amazing effort if all true to keep it all on the quiet (and no reason to believe it's not true). Genuine charity.

Not a huge fan but an absolutely phenomenal voice. Tough year indeed.

Offline theocean

• Genius of Compression
  • The songs are in your eyes
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 03:55:19 PM »
:(

Last Christmas indeed :(

Thats a sad song now but time has a way of healing and maybe next Christmas
we can listen to it and enjoy it..

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 04:43:10 PM »
Apparently Bono and Elton John recently made an offer of help to George Michael.  He spurned it at the time.  May he rest in peace.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »
i like a few of his singles that i've heard, but i HATE the Last Christmas cover. Easily one of the worst christmas songs.

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • the vaccine for your wack scene
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 04:46:55 PM »
one more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 10:07:40 PM »
Childline founder, Esther Rantzen says "Over the years, he not only gave us the royalties from Jesus To A Child - which is one of his most beautiful songs - but he also gave us millions of pounds."

"He made it absolutely clear that he didn't want anyone to know that he was going to help us."

Offline The Edges Cat

• Desert Rose
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 03:23:25 AM »
"I watch people who are not driven by creativity any more, and I think how dull it must be to produce the same kind of thing. If you don't feel you're reaching something new, then don't do it." ~ George Michael

And here's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login, encouraging him to lighten up after hearing George complain about the pressure of fame. I reckon U2 got one of these, too.

Offline Rasmus

• Refugee
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 12:16:30 PM »
His "Older" album is one of my favorites of all time - probably top 3.

Offline shineinthesummernight

• Child of Grace
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:47 PM »
I didn't realize that "Freedom 90" was a bit of a subtle coming out song.  If you listen to the lyrics that definitely makes sense.

Offline The Bonzo

• Stateless
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2017, 02:36:06 AM »
Lovely tribute at the Brits this week for GM, why they got Chris Martin to perform Different corner - his voice did not do the song justice.

Very emotional though when George started to sing..

Offline Smee

• Numb
  • Im Eddie and im a Monkey
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 07:52:38 AM »
Lovely tribute at the Brits this week for GM, why they got Chris Martin to perform Different corner - his voice did not do the song justice.

Very emotional though when George started to sing..

Chris Martin is a terrible vocalist. His singing voice really grates on me these days. That time he stepped in for Bono,......CRINGE-FEST!

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 08:11:30 AM »
ya i love Cp and his voice just doesn't work live especially. way way to thin. no range. i think SatelitteDog called him a choir boy, thats about right.

Offline Spaderholic

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »
I thought Andrew, Pepsi and Shirley gave a touching tribute to George at The Brits but Chris Martin totally massacred A Different Corner! I don't mind some of Coldplay's songs but I've never rated Chris Martin's voice and think he should never have gone near that song! Having said that I'm not sure what other singer around today could have done it justice. To me George had the voice of an angel. Such a beautiful, rich, pure, pitch perfect, velvety, soulful, emotive voice. A voice that sends tingles down the spine. Dammit, I still can't believe he's gone. I idolised that man! :-(