Author Topic: Bannings  (Read 1203 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Bannings
« on: December 30, 2016, 01:31:06 AM »
Just a suggestion...

With the season of banning upon us is there any way to see if a user is currently banned?

Not debating the relative merits of the new approach or however you in mod land choose to apply the rules as that is not up for justification, transparency or debate as we are reminded often.

Would be nice though to see if someone you're communicating with is banned.

Other sites will say 'currently banned' under a user name for example.

Merit?

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: Bannings
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:59:30 AM »
I think this is a fine idea. Then we would know where our banboy friends are, and not worry about them so much. It would also be nice to be able to see "permanently banned" so that we can heave a sigh of relief, in some cases.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:47:27 AM »
I concur, it'd be helpful to know someone is banned rather than just not posting, as we might worry the user is unwell or troubled in some way if they suddenly become silent. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 07:04:46 AM »
it is a community and as such people within that community should be able to know the whereabouts/be able to reach people they 'care' about within that community....or at least know their status should they want to...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 07:09:31 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
it is a community and as such people within that community should be able to know the whereabouts/be able to reach people they 'care' about within that community....or at least know their status should they want to...

Can you send/receive PMs when banned? 

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:47:13 AM »
Nup, coz you can't log in. Which is fair enough too.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 08:29:35 AM »

No ....you can't even view forum...you just get a message saying you are banned and can't access....mine told me when it expired when i first tried logging in to discover was banned....but i didn't really clock it when i tried again it just said you are banned guest and the ban is not set to expire..

you get an email with a link to a pm from mods but you can't view the pm because you can't view forum...the text of the pm is in email body though although it says you can't reply to email and offers link ironicallly to reply on email to reply but you can't....
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:32:12 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:51:24 AM »

No ....you can't even view forum...you just get a message saying you are banned and can't access....mine told me when it expired when i first tried logging in to discover was banned....but i didn't really clock it when i tried again it just said you are banned guest and the ban is not set to expire..

you get an email with a link to a pm from mods but you can't view the pm because you can't view forum...the text of the pm is in email body though although it says you can't reply to email and offers link ironicallly to reply on email to reply but you can't....

Well, as I say it's not a democracy but given you are one of the most active forum members (over 7,000 posts) it would be good if there was a way the rest of us could know what had happened and how long you were going to be away for.  Surely we want to keep our active posters if possible, so we're glad you back in time for 2017.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 09:18:30 AM »

Well, as I say it's not a democracy but given you are one of the most active forum members (over 7,000 posts) it would be good if there was a way the rest of us could know what had happened and how long you were going to be away for.  Surely we want to keep our active posters if possible, so we're glad you back in time for 2017.

i would imagine that there are plenty of people who wish i wasn't around and i dare say they'll get their wish soon enough!  ;)

anyway.....off with the horns and on with the show.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:26:57 AM »

i would imagine that there are plenty of people who wish i wasn't around and i dare say they'll get their wish soon enough!  ;)

You can rub people up the wrong way from time to time - benign though I am, even I had to restrain myself from writing of your output,  "over 7,000 whines"  :P  But life would be boring if everyone agreed and the test of a healthy forum is whether it can incorporate a diverse spread of views.  Nevertheless, it would be nice if you could spice your posts with a few more positive comments from time to time  :)

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:49:39 AM »
I'd be curious to know who was banned.  I'm sure I've angered plenty of people on here, and people have rubbed me the wrong way from time to time, but typically I get along well with most people on the majority of the threads.  I did block two people this last year, but to be honest, I'd rather have the option to do that than to see someone get outright banned.  But if people are acting vicious and making personal attacks, there is no room for that.  Either way, the mods seem to be on the offensive trying to clean up the behavior and I understand and appreciate that.  I wish they would allow more of the Real World topics to stick around that don't generate arguments.  Who would ever think that a U2 discussion board could be so intense?  Or actually maybe it makes perfect sense.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 10:09:01 AM »

You can rub people up the wrong way from time to time - benign though I am, even I had to restrain myself from writing of your output,  "over 7,000 whines"  :P  But life would be boring if everyone agreed and the test of a healthy forum is whether it can incorporate a diverse spread of views.  Nevertheless, it would be nice if you could spice your posts with a few more positive comments from time to time  :)

For you, honey....anything...see exhibit A...

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 10:11:16 AM by an tha »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »

Following on from that, I've been thinking we should have a topic on the greatness of North and South of the River.  I think that song is one of Bono's best lyrics and I think they do it better than Christy Moore.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »

Following on from that, I've been thinking we should have a topic on the greatness of North and South of the River.  I think that song is one of Bono's best lyrics and I think they do it better than Christy Moore.

B side to Staring at the Sun?....I used to by all the singles back then in all the formats.

In all honesty I am not a big fan of it...it is ok.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 10:55:48 AM »

B side to Staring at the Sun?....I used to by all the singles back then in all the formats.

In all honesty I am not a big fan of it...it is ok.

It was over-produced and I don't much like the vocal on the released version, but still prefer it to CM's version.

This version they did on TV in Ireland I like better: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login