Author Topic: What song is stuck in your head lately or even just today?  (Read 754 times)

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: What song is stuck in your head lately or even just today?
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2017, 09:10:49 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

f****** glorious.
great voice

I genuinely consider her to be just about the best current active artist alive.
It's refreshing to see her do her thing. This is Amsterdam,verry good:

Watch this.....how good is this!!

I love the wording of this review of the above set - especially the last line:

Flying through all the variously stumbled and rushed Brexit responses on stage this weekend was PJ Harvey’s perfectly weighted dart. Introducing The Glorious Land, she read John Donne’s poem No Man Is an Island, written in 1624, with its assertion that “every man is a piece of the continent”. But her entire set was a reflection on the priggishness of alpha-male politics that wreaks havoc from Syria to Essex.

Using martial drums and drill-sergeant strictness is on one level sarcastic, an arch version of chest-beating masculinity. But it also acknowledges just how infectious such rousing military music can be. Opening with Chain of Keys, she marches out playing a saxophone with the burly middle-aged blokes in her band, dressed in leather gloves and midnight folds of fabric. Moving to the mic, she holds the sax out like a totem, starting up a blood ritual. She holds poses amid the Guernica-like imagery of The Ministry of Defence, then marvels like a child at the “insects courting” in Let England Shake – all of it hypnotically authoritative stagecraft.

It would be nothing, of course, without great music, and aside from Dollar, Dollar’s overly spartan passages, it’s beautiful – like a New Orleans blues band commissioned for a dance in an Elizabethan court. Phrases are repeated again and again with almost techno-like levels of fixation; perhaps in these troubled times, words become buoys to cling to, sure things to focus on. To Bring You My Love, meanwhile, becomes a study in psychotic eroticism, backed by scorched desert blues.

You get the feeling that the chaos and pathos of Brexit will provide fresh grist for this immensely fertile period of her career – it’s almost worth living in sh** to get pearls like this from it.
She's strong, i like that. Nice clip.

glad you enjoyed it....i am besotted with her stuff these days...
Besotted? You do realize that the middle of that word is sot, right?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2017, 09:53:03 AM »

f****** glorious.
great voice

Flying through all the variously stumbled and rushed Brexit responses on stage this weekend was PJ Harvey’s perfectly weighted dart. Introducing The Glorious Land, she read John Donne’s poem No Man Is an Island, written in 1624, with its assertion that “every man is a piece of the continent”. But her entire set was a reflection on the priggishness of alpha-male politics that wreaks havoc from Syria to Essex.

Using martial drums and drill-sergeant strictness is on one level sarcastic, an arch version of chest-beating masculinity. But it also acknowledges just how infectious such rousing military music can be. Opening with Chain of Keys, she marches out playing a saxophone with the burly middle-aged blokes in her band, dressed in leather gloves and midnight folds of fabric. Moving to the mic, she holds the sax out like a totem, starting up a blood ritual. She holds poses amid the Guernica-like imagery of The Ministry of Defence, then marvels like a child at the “insects courting” in Let England Shake – all of it hypnotically authoritative stagecraft.

It would be nothing, of course, without great music, and aside from Dollar, Dollar’s overly spartan passages, it’s beautiful – like a New Orleans blues band commissioned for a dance in an Elizabethan court. Phrases are repeated again and again with almost techno-like levels of fixation; perhaps in these troubled times, words become buoys to cling to, sure things to focus on. To Bring You My Love, meanwhile, becomes a study in psychotic eroticism, backed by scorched desert blues.

You get the feeling that the chaos and pathos of Brexit will provide fresh grist for this immensely fertile period of her career – it’s almost worth living in sh** to get pearls like this from it.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2017, 09:59:12 AM »

f****** glorious.
great voice

Ha ha ha !! .......