Author Topic: Bonnaroo  (Read 1393 times)

Offline tigerfan41

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Bonnaroo
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 12:37:15 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
That's understandable. 

If I come across a free ticket I'll let you know, and if that helps out financially and you can make it, it's yours :)

Appreciate it! I've had to be pretty picky about concert stuff this year since it seems like pretty much everyone on my "must see" list is touring.

I'm definitely looking forward to eventually attending one of these festivals. Sounds like a really awesome time.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 01:04:05 PM »
Not in this lifetime, lol. I live two hours south of Bonnaroo, and I am not even remotely tempted. I'll be seeing this tour elsewhere.
I live even closer, I am tempted but why oh why can't they ha e one day tickets.  I just can't do the camping in the heat in June in TN.  And remember I live here!  If the band could just pick me up on their way by lol I'd be set.

Offline SlyDanner

• Desert Rose
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:53:27 PM »
Doesn't sound like festivals are back from this peice.  Or at least that Bonnaroo is back

Offline tigerfan41

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
Doesn't sound like festivals are back from this peice.  Or at least that Bonnaroo is back

I think the biggest issue with these festivals is the cost. $360 per ticket (or maybe cheaper if you get in on one of the first tiers) is a lot of money for a concert, especially if you only know/like a few of the artists. I'm surprised that they're able to sell 45,000 of those given that cost.

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:26:27 PM »

If anything the very fact that article exists if proving my point.  The article is saying how Bonnaroo is losing popularity among the jam band crowd, but the owners knew if they were to ever grow it, they would have to evolve and change.  Again, to my point about being the U2 of festivals.  No other festival has evolved as much. 

The big players, Coachella, Sasquatch, Lolla, ACL, Glastonbury, Osheaga, Pemberton, Reeding... maybe Glastonbury has evolved a bit, but still not as much as Bonnaroo. 

Additionally, festivals aren't back?  In the last few years Wayhome, Panorama, Riot Fest Denver and Colorado, Desert Trip, Shaky Knees, Shaky Beats, Tomorrow World, Outside Lands, Firefly, Hullaween, Lockin, Okeechobee, Hangout, Made In America... not to mention Mad Block Party a touring fest, Toronto has a 2-day version of Riot Fest, and have added 2 2-day festivals back to back weekends, Field Trip and Bestival (There is Bestival in the UK as well), and, running simultaneously through both of those weekends is NXNE!  3 FESTIVALS in the span of 14 days.  The week after that is Digital Dreams a 2-day festival held the same weekend as Pride Toronto.  Veld expanded to 3 days, Drake started OVO Fest a few years back and the last year or expanded to 3 days. Gov Ball, Osheaga expanded from 2-3 days, Lolla expanded from 3-4 last year...

And these are just festivals I'm naming off the top of my head... via my 70 wpm... 

If I took the time to think about it... well then...

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 10:42:19 PM »
Doesn't sound like festivals are back from this piece.  Or at least that Bonnaroo is back

I think the biggest issue with these festivals is the cost. $360 per ticket (or maybe cheaper if you get in on one of the first tiers) is a lot of money for a concert, especially if you only know/like a few of the artists. I'm surprised that they're able to sell 45,000 of those given that cost.

For most any other festival, I would say you have to like a good portion of the lineup.  For Bonnaroo, the experience is unlike any other.  You need just 1 headliner and a few other acts you enjoy.  Stumbling upon new acts is half the fun.  There's an energy not found anywhere else... no like not just festivals.  I've done some extensive traveling on this planet, and Bonnaroo is 40 000 people on their best, most loving behavior.  It's the utmost best version of everyone, stockpiled into 4 days. 

Just watch any documentary online.  Other fests aren't even in the same league. Again, it's more akin to Burning Man.  But Burning Man is SUPER hard core in terms of supplies and what not.  Bonnaroo is a more manageable balance.    I'm not gonna look for the link, but I found a video from a Bonnaroo I went to where I think it was a dancing dog dancing like ballroom dancing.  Someone asked if I saw it.  No  I didn't.  It's like... you don't get it... you walk 10 feet and you see something that is so weird and funny and bizarre, you could never have guessed you would have stumbled upon it.  Walk a few more minutes and something else happens.  Stuff happens you don't see that's how much "content" I'd say there is.  It's not just in the stage areas, you see the most stimulating things in the camp grounds.  In total, it's 700 acres!

Eventually the 4 days culminates into one large super out of dimension experience and when you come out the other side, there is no way you can't be inspired to do anything.  $1500 for that experience plus seeing U2 is... it's literally an investment.  For the time and money invested in that weekend, and the pure excitement, fond memories, and what it does to you spiritually... $1500 is... it's nothing.  It's peanuts.  Really what is $1500??  Actually probably less for you, you live close. 

$1500 for your Woodstock featuring U2. 

I dunno... you make the call.

Offline SlyDanner

• Desert Rose
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 11:09:20 PM »
Well I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this festival.  If I were younger and had $1500 to burn, your description might actually convince me...  I somewhat regret not having experienced at least a few of these events while I had a lot more disposable time, if a lot less cash...

But it's interesting that the article states that Bonaroo's numbers are down almost by half since 2011.  That's a different story than what you mentioned in the initial reply and I'm wondering if U2 were desperate here or more likely the other way around?

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »
How do you handle the heat that's my major drawback

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2017, 06:35:48 PM »
Well I really appreciate your enthusiasm for this festival.  If I were younger and had $1500 to burn, your description might actually convince me...  I somewhat regret not having experienced at least a few of these events while I had a lot more disposable time, if a lot less cash...

But it's interesting that the article states that Bonaroo's numbers are down almost by half since 2011.  That's a different story than what you mentioned in the initial reply and I'm wondering if U2 were desperate here or more likely the other way around?

I'd say they're helping each other out.  But Bonnaroo might need it more.  They didn't sell that many last year.    I know of I think 2 or 3 fests that actually shut down last year.  It's gotten saturated--that's an understatement.  But the market is there. 

Down since 2011?  My first Roo was 2012, pretty sure there were 80 000 people there.  I didn't go in 2013 but also quite certain it was close to that figure.  Maybe since 2014 it decreased.  I'm almost positive 2012 had 80 000.

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2017, 06:44:49 PM »

I won't lie. 

The heat is killer.  BUT, it's clearly doable.  Again, I won't lie, I deal with heat very well.  I'm probably the only guy at Bonnaroo that wears boots and long black skinny jeans.  No effin' joke.  People just shake their head when they see me LOL.  So for that, I understand. 

At night however it cools down.  You definitely need a sweater, even a light wind breaker.  There's morning dew on the grass by 6 or 7am. 

The key things to have are  an EZ UP/canopy, and a spray bottle that you'd fill up with the ice from the cooler.  Just stay seated in the shade, enjoy the drinks, conversation, spray yourself every once in a while.  It's fine.  I mean 80 000 people every year for 15 years... if it was that bad people wouldn't go.  So it's obviously manageable.  And lots of people in their 40s and even 50s.  In 2015 our neighbors were two mom's with their daughters, and the tent next to that was a group of late-40-somethings... about 5 or 6 of them. 

If anything, Bonnaroo is LEAST likely to have under 25.  Bonnaroo is expensive, and with that, coupled with the effort, not as many teens as you would find at Lollaplaooza, Gov Ball, ACL, where the kids from the city can go there.  They spend no money on transportation and accommodations.  And use their own "supply".  City fests 100% attract more kids.  Bonnaroo is more of a community thing.  Lots of older people in 40s and 50s like Burning Man.

Bonnaroo is kinda like Gay Pride.  Everyone is open.  No one would EVER judge you for anything, age or otherwise.  Never in a million years.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2017, 07:26:46 PM »

I won't lie. 

The heat is killer.  BUT, it's clearly doable.  Again, I won't lie, I deal with heat very well.  I'm probably the only guy at Bonnaroo that wears boots and long black skinny jeans.  No effin' joke.  People just shake their head when they see me LOL.  So for that, I understand. 

At night however it cools down.  You definitely need a sweater, even a light wind breaker.  There's morning dew on the grass by 6 or 7am. 

The key things to have are  an EZ UP/canopy, and a spray bottle that you'd fill up with the ice from the cooler.  Just stay seated in the shade, enjoy the drinks, conversation, spray yourself every once in a while.  It's fine.  I mean 80 000 people every year for 15 years... if it was that bad people wouldn't go.  So it's obviously manageable.  And lots of people in their 40s and even 50s.  In 2015 our neighbors were two mom's with their daughters, and the tent next to that was a group of late-40-somethings... about 5 or 6 of them. 

If anything, Bonnaroo is LEAST likely to have under 25.  Bonnaroo is expensive, and with that, coupled with the effort, not as many teens as you would find at Lollaplaooza, Gov Ball, ACL, where the kids from the city can go there.  They spend no money on transportation and accommodations.  And use their own "supply".  City fests 100% attract more kids.  Bonnaroo is more of a community thing.  Lots of older people in 40s and 50s like Burning Man.

Bonnaroo is kinda like Gay Pride.  Everyone is open.  No one would EVER judge you for anything, age or otherwise.  Never in a million years.
I have every camping equipment imaginable so that's not an issue I live about 30 minutes from Bonnaroo, I'm trying to convince myself I can do it lol

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2017, 09:32:11 PM »

I won't lie. 

I have every camping equipment imaginable so that's not an issue I live about 30 minutes from Bonnaroo, I'm trying to convince myself I can do it lol

Well in that case, I don't know what to say.  I've said everything there needs to be said.  Bonnaroo is something completely different.  It's quite a special place.  And you live in Tennessee so you're used to the heat.  I don't know what else is there.  For you the weekend would be REAL cheap.  Considering how close you are, I can only say I solemnly swear you will regret it.  If someone was to come form over seas--I mean, it would still be a heavy experience but I get it.  You're so close.  I think you know what the right call is.   

June 8th, 2016.  Unless I'm dead, you know where I'll be.

Offline tigerfan41

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2017, 09:44:44 PM »
All I will say is if I lived that close to Bonnaroo, I'd be going there pretty much yearly or at least just once to try it and see if I like it.

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2017, 07:21:48 AM »
All I will say is if I lived that close to Bonnaroo, I'd be going there pretty much yearly or at least just once to try it and see if I like it.
me too if I was in my 20s with no kids.  That's the hard part the kids lol

Offline marcovox

• Wanderer
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
Distance/money and kids... all can be overcome but inevitably if you can't find solutions then I totally understand. 

Being in your 20s though?  I'm sorry I don't follow. 

What does age have to do with it? 

There are 50 and 60 year olds that do Burning Man, and same with Bonnaroo.  They might be outliers, but they're there.  I see them every year.