Author Topic: "I took the photo from the fridge..."  (Read 602 times)

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
"I took the photo from the fridge..."
« on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:45 PM »
Always loved Cedars of Lebanon [and White as Snow]. Bono writes best when he's in characters.

Listening to COL's lyrics always paints a vivid picture in my mind. However, this lyric always plagues me.

I'm not sure if Bono is saying he was standing at the fridge when he took the photo, or if the photo was actually on the fridge and he took it off it.

In my mind's eye this line interchanges between these 2 scenarios.

When you hear that line, what do you think Bono is doing?

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: "I took the photo from the fridge..."
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2017, 02:16:14 PM »
The photo is on the fridge.

The song is sparse and I like that: it reminds me of brothers in arms by dire straits.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2017, 03:10:52 PM »
He's reminiscing about taking the photograph from off the fridge before he left.

I get the impression all was not well in his domestic situation.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:11:14 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
He's reminiscing about taking the photograph from off the fridge before he left.

That's how I took it too. He took a photo with him before he left.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 07:22:49 PM »

Thanks ... It's a great song. I really love the lyrics. The orange line has caused a bit of derision in our household ... I think it's great.

It's such an absurd thing to witness. But that's why it works; war is absurb.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:59:31 AM »

Thanks ... It's a great song. I really love the lyrics. The orange line has caused a bit of derision in our household ... I think it's great.

It's such an absurd thing to witness. But that's why it works; war is absurb.

He's looking through photographs he's shot while sitting at a café waiting on the waiter to come.  The child drinking dirty water by the riverbank and the soldier bringing oranges are two such photographic images.  The unjustness of war.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 09:32:51 AM by John Galt »

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 01:33:47 AM »
People say NLOTH was awful, but I don't think anyone in their right mind could call Cedars of Lebanon awful. It's a great song and a good way to end an album.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 10:37:36 PM »
People say NLOTH was awful, but I don't think anyone in their right mind could call Cedars of Lebanon awful. It's a great song and a good way to end an album.
For sure, but I wish that the album as a whole was more like it. NLOTH is such an unfocused mess. Had they released it 2-3 years sooner maybe we wouldn't have gotten garbage like Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, which are so unfitting.

Offline playingtricksagain

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2017, 06:02:15 PM »
For sure, but I wish that the album as a whole was more like it. NLOTH is such an unfocused mess. Had they released it 2-3 years sooner maybe we wouldn't have gotten garbage like Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, which are so unfitting.

*hides behind rock* I actually like Magnificent...

Crazy Tonight and the remix are some of the worst things they've ever made. Other stuff like Breathe and White as Snow are really good though.

(Sorry, don't mean to go too off-topic here.)

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2017, 08:50:36 PM »

Crazy Tonight and the remix are some of the worst things they've ever made. Other stuff like Breathe and White as Snow are really good though.

Haha, a lot of people do!

I really want to love NLOTH and Breathe-- they have the foundations of great rock songs. But the overpolish just kills it for me. Add in the bizarre lyrics to Breathe and the obnoxious "ooohhh"-ing to Horizon and you've got two major disappointments.

A couple more songs like that would have been nice. I also wish that they explored the Middle Eastern sound further, like in Fez.

Offline ian ryan

• Running to Stand Still
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 01:21:58 AM »

Magnificent is f***in awesome! That version they did of it on the i+e tour was soooo good. I hope it shows up on the Experience end of the tour.

Offline ian ryan

• Running to Stand Still
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:02 AM »

Haha, a lot of people do!

I really want to love NLOTH and Breathe-- they have the foundations of great rock songs. But the overpolish just kills it for me. Add in the bizarre lyrics to Breathe and the obnoxious "ooohhh"-ing to Horizon and you've got two major disappointments.

A couple more songs like that would have been nice. I also wish that they explored the Middle Eastern sound further, like in Fez.

What do you think of the Mandela version of Breathe?

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 07:23:02 AM »

Agreed. 'I'm here, cause I don't wanna go home ...'

Did the speaker have an affair? "Haven't been with a woman in it seems like for years, I THOUGHT OF YOU THE WHOLE TIME, YOUR SALTY TEARS ..."

Thought of 'you' during what? Is the 'you' his partner or God? Seems like there is some guilt in this line.

Online aviastar

• Stateless
  • Cleared to flight level 340
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2017, 05:48:19 PM »
I LOVE this song.  Cedars is one of my top 10 U2 songs.

I actually like No Line...but I know it's a flawed album.  I knew it was a flawed album on first listen.  It contains U2's worst song IMHO (Bootz).
But I never felt like I had to make peace with that.  I take what I like from this album and leave the rest (which for me is just the middle 3 Crazy-Bootz-Comedy).