Author Topic: 3 Strikes and You're Out?  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: 3 Strikes and You're Out?
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 04:55:27 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think that it bears worth saying that the NLOTH sales were likely far better than the band realizes. Why? Because digital sales weren't yet counted in the total sales tally. Look at the timeline of things: with Vertigo, they literally helped usher in the digital music age, as the song was featured on an iPod commercial. By the time that NLOTH came out, buying music digitally was already a thing, by way of both iTunes and Amazon. If I remember right, it wasn't until after the  360 tour culminated that the certification boards decided to finally (and logically) count digital sales.

I think this is a pretty desperate attempt to see NLOTH as a success. It really wasn't by any measurable metric....it certainly didn't have any hit songs, and that's probably the MOST important to U2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2017, 09:20:14 AM »
To me, U2 have only ever released one bad album. HTDAAB is really unlistenable to me, its awful - the only song worth listening to is a full on live Vertigo (from the Vertigo Tour) - and that's debatable.

ATYCLB - my second least favorite, but WAY better than Bomb.

NLOTH - If it wasn't for Magnificent, Boots, Crazy and SUC - this album would be very enjoyable to me. If they had put the linear version of Winter on it, and Soon, then this would be a really good album. It has U2's best song (Cedars) since Pop.

SOI is OK - nothing special. Certainly not a creative high point by a LONG way, but its better than Bomb.

They are not done yet, but there is an awful lot riding on SOE, if it ever comes out.

I don't understand how people can say atyclb is way better than bomb. behind is their most bland, sugary, beige release ever. at least bomb has a few colours. it's not my favourite, but let's not kid ourselves, behind is the lowest the band have stooped In their career.

Offline DGordon1

• Elevated
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2017, 09:24:54 AM »
To me, U2 have only ever released one bad album. HTDAAB is really unlistenable to me, its awful - the only song worth listening to is a full on live Vertigo (from the Vertigo Tour) - and that's debatable.

NLOTH - If it wasn't for Magnificent, Boots, Crazy and SUC - this album would be very enjoyable to me. If they had put the linear version of Winter on it, and Soon, then this would be a really good album. It has U2's best song (Cedars) since Pop.

SOI is OK - nothing special. Certainly not a creative high point by a LONG way, but its better than Bomb.

They are not done yet, but there is an awful lot riding on SOE, if it ever comes out.

I don't understand how people can say atyclb is way better than bomb. behind is their most bland, sugary, beige release ever. at least bomb has a few colours. it's not my favourite, but let's not kid ourselves, behind is the lowest the band have stooped In their career.

Nah, Bomb had more filler tracks and abrasive production. ATYCLB had its flaws but Bomb was plain boring in parts imo.

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2017, 09:49:48 AM »
Rolling Stone rated NLOTH very highly. 5/5 if I remember correctly.
Rolling Stone has always ridden U2's d**k.

That sort of makes the point that reviewers are meaningless in a fan-driven music age. And unless I'm mistaken, U2 has one of the largest fan bases in the whole world. They just aren't under the age of 30 like younger bands.
Rolling Stone had SOI as their album of the year.  I really liked SOI but i dont take RS's opinion holding any weight.  They have the people they like and hand out 5 star reviews lindly to them.  Mick JAgger solo album? 5 stars!

Offline a very competitive pony!

• Babyface
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2017, 11:58:59 AM »
Rolling Stone has always ridden U2's d**k.
Along with everyone in this forum at some point in their lives. Some haven't gotten off.

As far as reviews, why do people even care? Why not just like what you like and forget what everyone else thinks of it? Seems to me, people just like being combative over their silly lists.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2017, 01:34:18 PM »
I hate to be glass is half empty, but with respect to SOE: how good could the material have been if they decided to put the album on the back burner because of a US election?

Now you could say their excuse is nothing but BS, and it probably is.  However it also probably masks a more unsettling reality- the songs were utter crap and the 'Trump' issue was a convenient excuse to not release it. 

Sorry but all this does not bode well.  Junk the long-promised follow-up album for a ridiculous reason, then embark on a nostalgia tour?

I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

These are troubling times in many ways. 

I doubt your analysis above. I think an introverted album is more likely to be ignored in this moment in time regardless of how good or how bad it is, but something more bombastic and in-your-face might actually get U2 noticed by the non-U2 world - which is clearly important to them.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2017, 02:37:19 PM »
I hate to be glass is half empty, but with respect to SOE: how good could the material have been if they decided to put the album on the back burner because of a US election?

Now you could say their excuse is nothing but BS, and it probably is.  However it also probably masks a more unsettling reality- the songs were utter crap and the 'Trump' issue was a convenient excuse to not release it. 

Sorry but all this does not bode well.  Junk the long-promised follow-up album for a ridiculous reason, then embark on a nostalgia tour?

I hate to say it but part of me wants to see them learn a lesson on this venture.  Then again, part of me also wants to see the shows (I am still on the fence). 

These are troubling times in many ways. 

I doubt your analysis above. I think an introverted album is more likely to be ignored in this moment in time regardless of how good or how bad it is, but something more bombastic and in-your-face might actually get U2 noticed by the non-U2 world - which is clearly important to them.

not sure I am following your logic.  My point was (is) that the album must have been crap for them to use Trump as the excuse to shelve it.  Whether it was an introverted or bombastic album, I have no idea. 

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2017, 03:09:31 AM »

But in general, ATYCLB was wayyyyy bigger. Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck in A Moment, Walk On. All bigger hits than everything but Vertigo.

Might not be my fav, but I can see it was a massive hit. Probably their biggest hit record behind JT and AB.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2017, 06:04:17 AM »

But in general, ATYCLB was wayyyyy bigger. Beautiful Day, Elevation, Stuck in A Moment, Walk On. All bigger hits than everything but Vertigo.

Might not be my fav, but I can see it was a massive hit. Probably their biggest hit record behind JT and AB.

But should we U2 fans be even mentioning hit singles?  And certainly not judging an album's (that is a collection of songs) quality on whether any of those songs got much radio airplay.

They're both pretty unappetizing albums.

Offline lazyboy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2017, 08:22:08 AM »

But should we U2 fans be even mentioning hit singles?  And certainly not judging an album's (that is a collection of songs) quality on whether any of those songs got much radio airplay.

They're both pretty unappetizing albums.

Of course, and we don't. However U2 are clearly more worried about the general feeling out there. The overall picture. I'm not for one second saying ATYCLB is better than Pop, or Zooropa, or even SOI. But it's a bigger hit. And U2 want hits. Still!

Spacejunk69

« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:08 AM »

There isn't one single song on Bomb that I can even try to listen to. Every song is just awful to me. Yahweh, Miracle Drug, Love & Peace, Man And A Woman are some of the worst songs I have ever heard. The ONLY song I USED to like was Crumbs, and that's even hard for me now.

On ATYCLB I love the song Grace, and Kite and Walk on are - OK!

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:38 AM »

Cedars is considered an actual "song"??

But it's Rolling Stone.

If U2 released an album of One Direction covers, it'd still be guaranteed at least 4.5 out of 5 stars. If an R.S. reviewer rated it lower, then Jann Wenner would just hand it off to someone that would give it that.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
Cedars is U2's best song post-Pop. It is at least up there with SLABT, Stateless, Never Let Me Go, etc.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
I listened to Cedars the other day but I fell asleep halfway through.

;)

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #59 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:04 AM »
Cedars is U2's best song post-Pop. It is at least up there with SLABT, Stateless, Never Let Me Go, etc.

Agreed.....cedars is a fantastic song.....different - a marked step away from formulaic pop rock and for me where u2 excel and can still show brilliance.