Author Topic: Advice for seeing U2 live  (Read 3469 times)

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
Advice for seeing U2 live
« on: March 02, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
1. Catch them at the start of the tour. The setlist is more varied and Bono's voice is stronger.

2. Get tickets to multiple shows in different parts of the venue. I've been up front, but some of my favorite shows were somewhere in the stands.

3. Be a little fanatical, attend pre- and post-show parties. By a t-shirt.

4. Learn to play the guitar. You never know.

5. Avoid scalpers. I got great seats through the official tour provider. Yeah, I paid $150 for GA tickets, but they were easy to get and came with a pre-show party.

6. Avoic scalpers, pt. 2. Join U2.com. For all the complaints about the site, I've always landed decent seats through membership.

Offline CGE

• Precious Stone
  • Without TUF there never would have been JT- Edge
Re: Advice for seeing U2 live
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 05:05:18 PM »
Thanks for the advice!    ;D

Offline Joe90usa

• Airborne Ranger
  • Dragons Rule! Catfish Drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 05:39:53 PM »
Step one is bad advice in my opinion. U2 is notorious for being under-rehearsed when their tours start out. The last show of any tour that I would want to see is opening night.

Mysterious Ways

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2009, 05:43:19 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Step one is bad advice in my opinion. U2 is notorious for being under-rehearsed when their tours start out. The last show of any tour that I would want to see is opening night.

I agree. I'm happy I got to see the latter part of the Vertigo tour, and not the start.

Offline vickidvm

• Numb
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:45:39 PM »

I also disagree with #1.  Seems like the setlists always start out very similar and they don't try to switch them up until later when they realize which songs don't work as well live.   

Offline macphisto96

• Stateless
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:35:37 PM »
1. Catch them at the start of the tour. The setlist is more varied and Bono's voice is stronger.

Back end of the tour is much better.  They've worked out the kinks in the new songs and ironed out the setlist.  POPMart is the grandest example of this.  The late shows were much better.

And on Vertigo we ended up with a much greater version of Original of the Species with Edge on guitar instead of piano. 

All other points are good ones.  Though I will say that being in the ellipse on the last tour was the best location ever.  Being 20 feet (or less) from Bono, Edge, and Adam was awesome.  I will never forget Edge tearing into the end of Mysterious Ways as he stood 10 feet in front of me on the ellipse.  I've been a huge fan for 15 years, since high school, and that was so unbelievable. 

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2009, 02:55:10 AM »
Very good advice you have there.

But everyone remember.

DON'T BUY MY TICKET. ;D ;D

I want to see them to. ;D

Mal

Offline adamsmark

• Stateless
  • "I believe in the atomic bomb."
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 10:16:00 AM »
Very good advice you have there.

But everyone remember.

DON'T BUY MY TICKET. ;D ;D

I want to see them to. ;D

Mal

Now that I think about it, don't buy any tickets until the very last moment possible...  :)

hurricane hugo

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2009, 10:34:35 AM »
My advice for seeing ANYONE live: do not attend the first six shows of any band's tour unless you have no other choice.

#@!

Offline mdewater

• Stateless
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
4. Learn to play the guitar. You never know.
:D :D

Hahahah!!

Thanks for the advice, it'll be my first show this year!

Offline cathalmc

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »

Part of me would actually like to see the grimaces and family rows when they feck things up onstage :)

hrsan

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 02:50:16 PM »

I think what he means is to see them on the first leg as opposed to the 3rd or 4th leg of the tour.  I agree that the songs are more varied on the first leg.   

As tickets are hot, catch them whenever you can.

Offline domino

• Refugee
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 08:40:13 PM »
7. If you're young: get to the GA line early and chat up the older ppl in the line around you. They'll probably think you're cool for being so young and loving U2 and will buy you things (cold drinks, pizza etc.), generally help you out and tell you awesome stories that'll make you so envious, like the time they saw U2 in a small club with 40 people in the audience etc.

8. If you can, try to get a spot in line near someone with a guitar to have some awesome sing-a-longs.

9. Be nice to ppl in line and give them food so they'll hold your spot, maybe get you a good spot inside, lift you onto the stage etc.

10. Don't bring a ginormous sign that'll ruin the gig for everyone behind you. Also applies to big hats (WHY?!)

11. Blow Adam kisses, he will grin widely. You too boys.

12. Don't wear a Coldplay t-shirt to the concert. You will receive death glares.

Offline Malachi

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Is in cyberspace
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 07:53:18 AM »

12. Don't wear a Coldplay t-shirt to the concert. You will receive death glares.

Hahaha! Made me laugh that did. ;D ;D

But you can were a U2 T'shirt to a coldplay gig. ;D

Mal

Offline evel12314

• Elevated
  • Squeeze out sparks of light.
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:22:35 AM »
7. If you're young: get to the GA line early and chat up the older ppl in the line around you. They'll probably think you're cool for being so young and loving U2 and will buy you things (cold drinks, pizza etc.), generally help you out and tell you awesome stories that'll make you so envious, like the time they saw U2 in a small club with 40 people in the audience etc.

This will be me. ;D