Author Topic: London city/venue details  (Read 2852 times)

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
Re: London city/venue details
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2017, 07:02:52 AM »
I am not endorsing this. But in the interests of transparency...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2017, 12:02:13 PM »

Could we remind visitors that we don't do 'check-ins' in the UK. We go to our appointed gate and queue. Stadium staff won't care about numbers you may have been given if you check in and then disappear for half a day. We use common sense and don't have issue with queuers leaving for rest breaks and refreshment. But numbering yourselves won't work. Thanks

Offline joeyanne

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2017, 04:23:09 AM »

Could we remind visitors that we don't do 'check-ins' in the UK. We go to our appointed gate and queue. Stadium staff won't care about numbers you may have been given if you check in and then disappear for half a day. We use common sense and don't have issue with queuers leaving for rest breaks and refreshment. But numbering yourselves won't work. Thanks

Except they did. There was a check in at 6am ready for wrist bands which were handed out by the stadium using the numbers. Then we were given till 9am where we lined up again and we were taken into the corralling area. There we queued all day (of course some decided to disappear for hours but it wasn't the norm). On entry to the stadium they walked the first 100 in and then for everyone else it was every person for themselves.

The number system worked well and the stadium seemed happy to work with it. It's just a shame it's not official but then twickenham didnt give any official queuing times etc.

Btw there was only 1 queue which started at gate A and went in through gate C
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 04:24:46 AM by joeyanne »

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2017, 05:26:07 AM »

Except they did. There was a check in at 6am ready for wrist bands which were handed out by the stadium using the numbers. Then we were given till 9am where we lined up again and we were taken into the corralling area. There we queued all day (of course some decided to disappear for hours but it wasn't the norm). On entry to the stadium they walked the first 100 in and then for everyone else it was every person for themselves.

The number system worked well and the stadium seemed happy to work with it. It's just a shame it's not official but then twickenham didnt give any official queuing times etc.

I have always been a critic of fan run check-in procedures. However, this was a highly organised, efficient system which was very considerate of fans' needs. A numbering system for early arrivals (on the day of the gig) is the way forward ... as long as it is official. This may have been poorly advertised but it was definitely an official and fair system. Much credit should go to the venue and the crowd management company for this. It was very impressive.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2017, 07:27:58 AM »

I have always been a critic of fan run check-in procedures. However, this was a highly organised, efficient system which was very considerate of fans' needs. A numbering system for early arrivals (on the day of the gig) is the way forward ... as long as it is official. This may have been poorly advertised but it was definitely an official and fair system. Much credit should go to the venue and the crowd management company for this. It was very impressive.

Well that had me told didn't it.

So we get to the stadium at just before 8am yesterday. I'm expecting a queue of course and realise that there will be the travelling fans and other keen fans that we inevitably take our place behind on every tour. And fair enough if they put the work in. But what's this? No queue. Just random pockets of people and a lady with a book of names. Here we go I think. So I obediently take my wristband (just scraping into the top 300) because it seems the stadium staff (who were very pleasant I should add) are pandering to this. Meanwhile we have an invisible queue because other fans have apparently 'checked in' and slunk off to their hotels. Get back for 9 we're told, when the queue will actually form.

Well I'm here now, at 8, after driving over an hour, parking over a mile away on the driveway I've 'rented' for the day, and then catching a bus to the stadium.  Because I'd like a great spot and I'll put the work in for it, a U2 gig being quite an infrequent occurrence for me.

It strikes me that this system only benefits those travelling fans who run it. Maybe they have good intentions and speaking to one of them yesterday who I'm sure we're all familiar with, they wanted us to have a good time and for the queue to be run fairly. It's just the non-queue in the first place I object to.

I don't think a numbering system is the way forward in the UK.  A queue is the way forward. Then, when we are in our holding pens or wherever the final GA queue is, by all means give us numbers to discourage others from queue jumping and so we can take rest breaks.

Surprised that Twickenham staff went along with this. I seem to remember Wembley staff had this right 8 years ago. They ignored the (different) lady wanting to number everyone and we simply queued.

I would welcome any response if anyone here is actually involved or if you feel I'm being unreasonable.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 07:34:07 AM by kango »

Offline Gavin82

• Refugee
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2017, 08:05:24 AM »
Anyone whos going tonight show & not staying in Twickenham just walk too Twick town center & get the bus we paid 5 return too Hatton Cross i stayed in thr Hilton i was talking too people in the bar who had paid absolute silly for Uber/taxis etc 70/80 +

We went for food here You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login defo highly recommended great food great staff a must visit even if it is still 1.5mile from Stadium also big shout out too all the staff @ The Hilton Garden Inn was sold out with nearly all being U2 fans these guys are so good & do everything they can too keep customers happy you could tell it was system overload here but they were just great checking people in helping with taxis directions too everywhere helping with luggage 10/10 for them

« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 11:15:49 AM by Gavin82 »

Offline joeyanne

• Babyface
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2017, 12:08:19 PM »

So we get to the stadium at just before 8am yesterday. I'm expecting a queue of course and realise that there will be the travelling fans and other keen fans that we inevitably take our place behind on every tour. And fair enough if they put the work in. But what's this? No queue. Just random pockets of people and a lady with a book of names. Here we go I think. So I obediently take my wristband (just scraping into the top 300) because it seems the stadium staff (who were very pleasant I should add) are pandering to this. Meanwhile we have an invisible queue because other fans have apparently 'checked in' and slunk off to their hotels. Get back for 9 we're told, when the queue will actually form.

Well I'm here now, at 8, after driving over an hour, parking over a mile away on the driveway I've 'rented' for the day, and then catching a bus to the stadium.  Because I'd like a great spot and I'll put the work in for it, a U2 gig being quite an infrequent occurrence for me.

It strikes me that this system only benefits those travelling fans who run it. Maybe they have good intentions and speaking to one of them yesterday who I'm sure we're all familiar with, they wanted us to have a good time and for the queue to be run fairly. It's just the non-queue in the first place I object to.

I don't think a numbering system is the way forward in the UK.  A queue is the way forward. Then, when we are in our holding pens or wherever the final GA queue is, by all means give us numbers to discourage others from queue jumping and so we can take rest breaks.

Surprised that Twickenham staff went along with this. I seem to remember Wembley staff had this right 8 years ago. They ignored the (different) lady wanting to number everyone and we simply queued.

I would welcome any response if anyone here is actually involved or if you feel I'm being unreasonable.

Sorry I didn't mean to come across as snipy. I was just as surprised as I've only ever been numbered as a way of telling my place in the queue before.

If anyone slinked back to their hotel then they were the few lucky ones. I was there at 6am and didn't get back to mine till well past midnight. In the 1.5 hours before reforming the queue at 9 a lot of people went to Tesco, waited for it to open at 8 and then just went back to the line. There was also a massive queue at the stadium starbucks.

Some people did take the pi*s by going back to their hotels after we'd been moved through to the corralling area which I didn't agree with but security didnt care.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2017, 01:10:52 PM »

I agree with you. I think once you have been wristbanded by the venue you should, for the most part, stay put. I don't believe fans should be sent away to return 3 hours later. Arriving at 8am to find that other fans (who aren't actually present) are supposedly in front of you is one of the major objections to the book of names.

However, I think allowing fans to leave the queue during the day, especially when it is so hot, isn't unreasonable and as you say numbering does help with this.

I am definitely in favour of the general idea of wristbanding 1000 fans and allowing them early entry to the stadium - as long as it is well publicised. Keeping us separate from the main queue yesterday was a very good idea. It was certainly hugely preferable to the absolute fiasco that occurred at the Cardiff 360 gig when some early arrivals received little benefit for their efforts.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2017, 03:05:02 PM »
^ Sorry joeyanne. I wasn't having a pop at you with my opening line. It was at the smug powers that be who dictate when is best for fans to form a queue.

I can't see the Wimbledon fans trying for Centre Court tickets rolling up at a time decided by a fan, to be checked in unofficially and then given an unofficial number for a non existent queue. And meanwhile said fan takes their seat at the front of the queue. I can't see this happening in any other event here to be honest.