Author Topic: Chicago city/venue details  (Read 1422 times)

Offline m2

• Administrator
  • Desert Rose
  • I love the smell of fresh forum killspam.
Chicago city/venue details
« on: January 10, 2017, 09:05:42 PM »
If you have questions that are specific to this city or venue, please ask them in here and other forum members will do their best to help. This is a great place to share information about places to stay or eat, as well as how different venues are handling the GA lineup -- things like that.

If you have general tour-related questions, please use the main TOURS board. If you're looking to buy/sell/trade tickets at face value, please use the Tickets Buy/Sell/Trade board.

Offline therossman

• Wanderer
  • @U2 Tours Staff Member
Re: Chicago city/venue details
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Soldier Field U2 seating map:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Soldier Field U2 event page:

Soldier Field parking page:

Soldier Field public transportation page:

@U2 Tours event page:

U2.com event page:

Soldier Field on Google Maps:
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 11:02:48 AM by therossman »

Offline SecondCopy

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 09:57:32 PM »
Hello Chicagoans:

I've visited Chicago, but haven't been to Soldier Field.  What's the best way to get to the stadium -- public transportation or parking?

I'll probably rent a car to get from the airport (probably Midway) to downtown area.

Thanks!

Offline Bhawx10

• Stateless
  • Everything You Know is Wrong
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:06 PM »
Hello Chicagoans:

I've visited Chicago, but haven't been to Soldier Field.  What's the best way to get to the stadium -- public transportation or parking?

I'll probably rent a car to get from the airport (probably Midway) to downtown area.

Thanks!

Hi, I've been to a dozen shows and sporting events at Soldier Field over the years and I've never taken public transport to Soldier Field from the Northwest Suburbs. I've always driven and parked in the McCormick Place Garage. It's quite a bit cheaper than venue parking but it's a little bit of a walk but not too bad.

Offline Lemon269

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »
If you are flying into Midway I would either take a train downtown and then bus it over the Soldier Field or find an Uber or some combination of the two.  Rental cars are shockingly expensive.  With Uber and public transportation you should be fine (and won't have to worry about parking cost either). If you do choose to park definitely do the McCormick Place Garage.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2017, 06:06:20 PM »
Hello Chicagoans:

Thanks!

You can park right next to the stadium in one of the Soldier Field parking structures. However, it'll likely cost you at least $50--that's what I paid back in 2009 for the 360 tour. It was worth it to me since it was very no hassle parking.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 06:28:54 PM »
Hello Chicagoans:

Thanks!

You can park right next to the stadium in one of the Soldier Field parking structures. However, it'll likely cost you at least $50--that's what I paid back in 2009 for the 360 tour. It was worth it to me since it was very no hassle parking.

$50 to park?!  You can almost buy a ticket to the show for that. 

Can't you park a bit away away for free and bus or walk the rest?  I'm glad I live in a city with lots of transport options.  We also have websites where people rent out their driveways/office parking spaces fairly cheaply - you probably have something similar over there?

Offline ozmodiar

• Stateless
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 11:01:32 PM »
One reason to park at Soldier Field is if you're lining up for GA and want a convenient place to stow your chairs/lineup gear.

Besides the McCormick Place lots, you could also find a parking spot (pre-paid) on an app like Spot Hero for the best prices. It would still be a bit of a walk though.

If you are staying downtown, it's probably better not to have a car unless there's some other reason you need it. You will have to pay for parking at most hotels and that's not very cheap either. If you're staying further out in the suburbs, driving a car into the city might be easier than a train/bus commute.

If you use Uber be aware it will likely have surge pricing after the show.

There are city buses that can take you to/from Soldier Field. If you want to take one after the show, don't dawdle and get to the bus area quickly because the line can get really long. There are a lot of people who will take the L (subway) instead, but the nearest stop is somewhat far away.

Offline kevin

• Babyface
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
Those with experience camping out the night before at Soldier Field in Chicago or those with "line leader" experience there, I have a question.  I plan to arrive the morning of the concert (Saturday June 3) at around 5:30/6 a.m.  What time does the line generally starting forming that morning?  Earlier? Later?  If earlier, and if in another location (since the venue may not permit camping on the grounds), how do I find out where people are camping or where the line has begun to form?  Any tips deeply appreciated.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 08:53:25 PM »
Hello Chicagoans:

Thanks!

$50 to park?!  You can almost buy a ticket to the show for that. 

Can't you park a bit away away for free and bus or walk the rest?  I'm glad I live in a city with lots of transport options.  We also have websites where people rent out their driveways/office parking spaces fairly cheaply - you probably have something similar over there?

Chicago is a crazy city where they make a big deal out of parking being free at certain malls. It costs money to park pretty much anywhere, hotels included. There's lots of transportation options, but with any of them you'll have a decent walk to the stadium. I paid that excessive rate because I took my parents with me to the show and being older folks, they couldn't handle a long walk. It was worth it since we had a blast at that concert. What was not worth it was the $83 in toll fees we received weeks later because we somehow went through the tolls without paying (and they tacked on a nice $20 fee for each toll missed).  ::)

Those with experience camping out the night before at Soldier Field in Chicago or those with "line leader" experience there, I have a question.  I plan to arrive the morning of the concert (Saturday June 3) at around 5:30/6 a.m.  What time does the line generally starting forming that morning?  Earlier? Later?  If earlier, and if in another location (since the venue may not permit camping on the grounds), how do I find out where people are camping or where the line has begun to form?  Any tips deeply appreciated.

I did not do GA in Chicago, but according to someone who did, camping overnight was not allowed at the 360 concert there. They allowed lineup starting at 6am. See more here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 08:01:26 AM »
Anyone finding decent hotels close in that do not cost a fortune, or completely booked already?  Need ideas. Spouse starting to say we're not going..... ugh.

Offline whitewave

• Child of Grace
  • she's the wave,she turns the Tide
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 02:22:25 PM »
Anyone travelling into Chicago, should book their rooms now. Many hotels are already full. Apparently there is also a huge convention that weekend.

Offline ozmodiar

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 02:48:06 PM »
Anyone finding decent hotels close in that do not cost a fortune, or completely booked already?  Need ideas. Spouse starting to say we're not going..... ugh.

There are not that many hotels that are really close. Most visitors just stay somewhere downtown and use bus/train/cab/uber. Try checking for availability through Airbnb, VRBO, or even hostels. Also consider staying further out near public transportation and commuting in.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »

You can stay outside the city (within 30 minutes away) for under $150 a night. Lots of hotels near O'Hare (30 mins from Soldier Field) are still available. Magnificent Mile is pretty much completely booked up and what's left is over $400 a night. Very high demand that weekend. If you've got a car, commuting down there is no big deal, you could even park somewhere for the day downtown and just use public transportation to get to Soldier Field.

Offline Rono

• Babyface
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2017, 02:18:35 PM »
Looking forward to attending the solider field concert.  How easy is it to get public transport after concert? It will be my first time in GA for a U2 show so just wondering how early to quere up to get a good spot? I don't want to early morning due to maximising time Chicago(travelling from abroad) Hotels seem very expenise. Some good deals on Air bnb.