Author Topic: Chicago city/venue details  (Read 1423 times)

Offline ultravioletlight

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Chicago, IL
Re: Chicago city/venue details
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 12:08:45 PM »
As a Chicagoan, I will say this...
Getting in and out of Soldier Field is not a pleasant experience.

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Dublin, Chicago 1, Toronto
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2017, 12:20:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Hello Chicagoans:

I've visited Chicago, but haven't been to Soldier Field.  What's the best way to get to the stadium -- public transportation or parking?

I'll probably rent a car to get from the airport (probably Midway) to downtown area.

Thanks!

I took the subway from MDW to downtown Chicago and it was great. No issues. 45 mins strait ride that actually goes into the terminal.

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2017, 09:20:28 AM »
Does anyone have any experience using ParkWhiz in Chicago? They came up in my Googling since I didn't want to pay a base rate of $30 to park near the venue. I booked early enough that I got a pass from 3pm Saturday to 6am Sunday. Anybody have any experience using this service (good or bad)?

Offline macdaddywi

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 10:09:52 AM »
No experience using ParkWhiz but I booked my parking through SpotHero last night - $15 (after $10 first-time user coupon "WINTER") for a spot about 5 blocks from Soldier Field from 10:30 a.m. Saturday through 9:00 a.m. Sunday.  A little better than paying $49 at the venue - means a couple more Guinnesses for me!

Offline snailstampede

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2017, 01:18:33 PM »
No experience using ParkWhiz but I booked my parking through SpotHero last night - $15 (after $10 first-time user coupon "WINTER") for a spot about 5 blocks from Soldier Field from 10:30 a.m. Saturday through 9:00 a.m. Sunday.  A little better than paying $49 at the venue - means a couple more Guinnesses for me!

I saw decent reviews of both, so I decided to go with Parkwhiz this time. Have you used SpotHero before?

Offline aviastar

• Refugee
  • Feel like trash...you make me feel clean
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2017, 08:09:19 AM »
So I moved mountains, but I am excited to say that my wife and I will be at the 6/4 show at Soldier Field!  Didn't think I was going to be able to make this tour, but I am so glad...SO GLAD...that I can.  I was wondering if there were any Chicago atu2 meetups planned - anyone want to do dinner or anything?  Would love to meet some atu2 fans.

Offline macdaddywi

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 09:42:56 AM »

I saw decent reviews of both, so I decided to go with Parkwhiz this time. Have you used SpotHero before?

I used SpotHero in 2015 when U2 played the United Center.  Downtown, covered, valet parking for $20, took the shuttle to the show.  No problems at all with SpotHero, would definitely recommend.

Offline GloriaUaBRS1985

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 11:40:34 AM »
I've visited Chicago, but haven't been to Soldier Field.  What's the best way to get to the stadium -- public transportation or parking?

ok, first timer on a forum, please be kind. Check out rallybus.net I stumbled upon this site tearing my hair out trying to figure out the best transportation to Soldier Field for the June 3 concert, but you can get this bus to any of the U2 concerts in the US. You can pick the bus up from many locations. I picked the Kenosha/Milwaukee but - it needs 21 more people to actually go, so please sign up before April 19 - current price $40 now round trip, price on website says it will go up on the 19th. Then you can get a hotel way outside of Chicago.

Offline Rono

• Babyface
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2017, 01:17:26 PM »
So I moved mountains, but I am excited to say that my wife and I will be at the 6/4 show at Soldier Field!  Didn't think I was going to be able to make this tour, but I am so glad...SO GLAD...that I can.  I was wondering if there were any Chicago atu2 meetups planned - anyone want to do dinner or anything?  Would love to meet some atu2 fans.
Im travelling to the show from Dublin would be happy to do it!

Offline Seamcg10

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2017, 02:50:25 PM »
What time is a good arrival time for GA? I'd like to get by stage so how early would be needed... going to be a great show!

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2017, 07:22:01 PM »
I'm so stoked for the June 4 show! I saw the Chicago show there that opened the NA 360 tour back in '09. My mom scored tickets for me, her, my younger sister, and brother-in-law. My parents rented a bed-and-breakfast (I think that they found it on airbnb) at a Benedictine monastery that wasn't too far from the stadium where the White Sox play. There were 6 of us, comfortably, and I think that my parents maybe paid $100-ish a night. The monks were super nice, too. I went to Sunday Mass at their church, and one of the monks even came up to me afterwards (the rest of my family had already left), to tell me that he read about the concert in the newspaper.

For this upcoming show, I am taking the train in (from Pittsburgh), staying with a friend about 20 minutes south of the stadium. After the show, I'll be staying with another friend who'll be driving me to Midway that Monday morning. Getting to the stadium, my friend (the one who I'm staying with on Sunday night) will probably drop me off. He's offered to chauffeur me after the show, but I told him that I'd feel bad if he jumped in what will assuredly be a nightmare of traffic. After the '09 show, we just walked to the nearest El station, and took it from there. I'll likely do likewise after this show, meeting up w my mate for an adult beverage or four.

Seriously, though, I looked it up, and it looks like the nearest El station is only about a 10 minute walk from the stadium. Double or triple that with the crowds, and be ready to deal with crowded trains. Or, find a nearby pub, and have a few beers while waiting for the Uber/Lyft surge pricing to come down.

Offline ArtistCannibal

« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
We're driving from Minneapolis. It'll be my girlfriend's first U2 show ever. That said, our tickets are nose-bleed (section 441) which is the Edge's side of the stage, and from the looks of the screen we may not be able to see it. Any chance on getting last minute tix with better seats without having to surrender an arm & leg? Or should we just assume that we'll be able to see from where we are?

Offline GloriaUaBRS1985

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 07:17:39 AM »
We're driving from Minneapolis. It'll be my girlfriend's first U2 show ever. That said, our tickets are nose-bleed (section 441) which is the Edge's side of the stage, and from the looks of the screen we may not be able to see it. Any chance on getting last minute tix with better seats without having to surrender an arm & leg? Or should we just assume that we'll be able to see from where we are?
Looks like you should be able to see pretty well
I'll be a few sections away in 437. Wanted to sell my crappy pre-sales tickets for better seats, but found out I was locked in to them. Next time I'll take my chances and buy tickets a few weeks after they go on sale. Except for Dublin, we wouldn't have tickets there if we'd waited for general sales.

On another note for anyone travelling to the concert from Milwaukee or points north - please, please sign up for the Rally Bus from Milwaukee, thru Kenosha, direct to Soldier Field at RallyBus.net, before it gets cancelled and I have to figure our alternative transportation. 17 more people need to sign up before the bus gets cancelled. The rates just keep going up the closer it gets to show-time.  Thanks a bunch!!

Offline RejoiceWithAShout

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »
looking for some awesome fast casual options in the city... I want to try Al's Italian Beef... is it worth it? any other uniquely Chicagoan experiences I must try?

Offline ultravioletlight

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2017, 05:47:42 AM »
looking for some awesome fast casual options in the city... I want to try Al's Italian Beef... is it worth it? any other uniquely Chicagoan experiences I must try?
Al's is great. Giordanos deep dish pizza is a favorite of mine as well.