Author Topic: What OTHER albums deserve the "played in full" treatment?  (Read 655 times)

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
Re: What OTHER albums deserve the "played in full" treatment?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Depeche Mode could easily do 2 albums in 1 concert; Violator and Songs of Faith & Devotion. Violator only has 9 songs, Devotion 10 songs. That shouldn't put too much strain on Dave's vocal chords considering that Martin sings vocals on 2 songs from each album, so Dave only has to sing a total of 15 songs per show.

I could easily see them do a Violator tour--I would half expect they could do that this year, but the new album/tour name probably make that moot.  I can't really imagine them doing a SOFAD tour, though.  Even though I LOVE those songs, I feel like that album is a bit contentious among fans, and an anomaly in their catalog.  Bands tend to just go to their best-selling album for these, and Violator is kind of obvious.

That said, I almost feel like I SAW a Violator/SOFAD tour, in the original Devotional Tour.  They did a lot of material from those two albums.  I think older fans may have been a bit put out they didn't dip into their earlier stuff, much like U2 when they started Zoo TV.

Sadly, I completely missed out on the Alan Wilder era of Depeche Mode, so the idea of those 2 albums is more of a dream concert for me, as Peter Gordeno & Christian Eigner will never replace Wilder.

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2017, 05:15:12 PM »

Songs From The Big Chair - Tears For Fears

Ooh, good call.  That's one I'm surprised hasn't happened already.

Laugh if you want, but I could see Jesus Jones doing Doubt.  I know the band is a punchline at this point, but that album is solid, in an early 90's kind of way.

Jesus Jones were a damn good band.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2017, 08:19:18 PM »
Depeche Mode could easily do 2 albums in 1 concert; Violator and Songs of Faith & Devotion. Violator only has 9 songs, Devotion 10 songs. That shouldn't put too much strain on Dave's vocal chords considering that Martin sings vocals on 2 songs from each album, so Dave only has to sing a total of 15 songs per show.

I could easily see them do a Violator tour--I would half expect they could do that this year, but the new album/tour name probably make that moot.  I can't really imagine them doing a SOFAD tour, though.  Even though I LOVE those songs, I feel like that album is a bit contentious among fans, and an anomaly in their catalog.  Bands tend to just go to their best-selling album for these, and Violator is kind of obvious.

That said, I almost feel like I SAW a Violator/SOFAD tour, in the original Devotional Tour.  They did a lot of material from those two albums.  I think older fans may have been a bit put out they didn't dip into their earlier stuff, much like U2 when they started Zoo TV.

Sadly, I completely missed out on the Alan Wilder era of Depeche Mode, so the idea of those 2 albums is more of a dream concert for me, as Peter Gordeno & Christian Eigner will never replace Wilder.

Devotional was the first time I saw them.  Saw them twice on that tour.  Funny thing is, the second time, Fletcher had apparently left the tour due to mental stress, or anxiety or something.  I mean, Gahan was literally killing himself with heroin, Gore was, I think, well on his way to being an alcoholic, and Wilder was shouldering a lot of the burden keeping things going....but the guy who kept busy clapping his hands behind the synth was the one who had to leave.  So I officially saw the classic 4-man lineup once.  Man, I wish Wilder would come back.

Oddly, for as good as the video from that tour was, I remember being underwhelmed with it in person.  Didn't know enough of the pre-Violator stuff, seemed too short, and the lack of live instrumentalists seemed weird to me then.  But it was classic, no doubt.

Offline JFW

• Stateless
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »
Dire Straits - Love Over Gold

Offline Madra-mor

• Stateless
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
I would love to see live hmmm..
The Waterboys   Fishermans Blues
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds The Boatmans Call
The Verve   Urban Hymns
Pulp   Different Class

All unique and wonderfully lyrical, which i love:)

Offline Ultrafly

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 02:21:36 PM »

Ooh, good call.  That's one I'm surprised hasn't happened already.

Laugh if you want, but I could see Jesus Jones doing Doubt.  I know the band is a punchline at this point, but that album is solid, in an early 90's kind of way.

Jesus Jones did tour Doubt in 2014. Personally I think they'd be better regarded by history if they hadn't had any hits.

Offline emalvick

• Desert Rose
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
Radiohead - Kid A and Amnesiac
NIN - The Fragile
The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love

It would be easy to just state every favorite album of mine, but I think it would be best to think in terms of albums I would actually want to hear every song live.  For instance, as much as I love Zooropa, I'm not sure I'd care about seeing it live in full.  It has some weak tracks. 

Overall, I like the idea of concept albums from start to finish, like the Decemberists one above; some of those albums are best when played (listened to) in whole.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 08:24:35 AM »
Not that it QUITE counts, but I did just see a fantastic local Bowie tribute band do Low in its entirety on Sunday.  Similar to how I saw the Australian Pink Floyd do Wish You Were Here in its entirety.

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 08:20:34 PM »
IV

Zep's or Seal's?

i mean i guess i could make a list of hundreds of albums

I thought so, too...then I spent some time thinking about it. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a fan of artists/bands revisiting their older albums in this manner, but I really couldn't come up with many.   :/

here we go:

Absolution - Muse

The Bends - Radiohead

Pretty much it right there, as I don't wanna deal with defunct bands or dead artists.

There is only one album that deserves to be called IV, and it isn't by seal :-)

I'd like to hear II as well but I doubt we will ever see them play again together. Even though Jason bonham is nearly as good as his father was

Offline fortheloveofmoney

• Babyface
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
IV

Zep's or Seal's?

i mean i guess i could make a list of hundreds of albums

I thought so, too...then I spent some time thinking about it. Maybe it's because I'm not much of a fan of artists/bands revisiting their older albums in this manner, but I really couldn't come up with many.   :/

here we go:

Absolution - Muse

The Bends - Radiohead

Pretty much it right there, as I don't wanna deal with defunct bands or dead artists.

There is only one album that deserves to be called IV, and it isn't by seal :-)

I'd like to hear II as well but I doubt we will ever see them play again together. Even though Jason bonham is nearly as good as his father was

IV wasn't actually that album's title  ;)

Saw local Zep tribute band Led Zepagain do PG start to finish a while ago. Awesome stuff.

Offline World71R

• Stateless
  • It's no secret ambition bites the nails of success
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2017, 10:16:29 AM »
Noel Gallagher doing (What's the Story?) Morning Glory at one of his HFB shows. I doubt that it would happen but it'd be really cool to see since that album is to him and Oasis what TJT is to U2.

Online Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:29 PM »
Interpol just announced a Turn On The Bright Lights tour for the 15th anniversary.

I'll just imagine all the Interpol fans on their forums debating the "nostalgia tour" angle now.  :)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
I'd love to see Beck do an album like Sea Change or Mutations in full.

Offline feedback

• Refugee
  • 'Father is an Elephant'
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 12:36:28 AM »
The Cure - Head On the Door
Tears For Fears - The Hurting
Duran Duran - Rio
ABC - The Lexicon of Love
Paul McCartney - Band On the Run

Offline ecadad

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • On Twitter @ecadad1
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
This is a great question! Here's my list:

Elephant The White Stripes
Tea For The Tillerman Cat Stevens
Graceland Paul Simon
Born In The U.S.A. Bruce Springsteen (he actually did play the entire thing live in 2013 at Hard Rock Calling in London)
Blonde On Blonde Bob Dylan
IV Led Zeppelin
Band On The Run Paul McCartney