Author Topic: The warhorse debate...  (Read 2753 times)

Offline very good

• Party Girl/Boy
The warhorse debate...
« on: January 14, 2017, 01:20:47 PM »
There is a fair amount of folk (myself included) on here who would happily never hear certain U2 warhorse songs again however which ones do you still look forward to? 4 of each please. Ignore the fact that the next tour is the Joshua tree - assume the next leg of the I & E tour IS happening (!).

Keep
1. Streets
2. One
3. With or without you
4. Still haven't found.

Get rid
1. Mysterious ways
2. City of blinding lights
3. Beautiful day
4. I will follow

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
Re: The warhorse debate...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 01:31:22 PM »
I personally find Beautiful Day boring now since that can go. You didn't mention Vertigo but I would scrap that too.

Offline kango

• Desert Rose
  • I know I'm not a hopeless case.
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
It would be Pride above all you've listed that I wouldn't need to hear again. Having said that, it would be wrong to blacklist certain songs. They just need to be played a lot more sparingly when you consider how many brilliant songs they have in their catalogue that don't get aired.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2017, 01:47:12 PM »
City was only good on the vertigo tour.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2017, 02:03:11 PM »
I appreciate i will probably get lynched for this but i would jib Streets....it has been in decline since Popmart and when the best live version of it i have heard in recent years was by Muse (with Edge) you know it is time to hang it up....

It was flat at the o2 in 2015 as well.

On the other hand Pride which is much maligned live in recent years and rightly so sounded reborn in 2015.

Mysterious Ways is another I wish they would shelve, along with my favourite song Elevation (I had to didn't i, folks!) and Beautiful Day.

Along with the aforementioned Pride...get NYD in the set again and keep it there please and while we are at it UTEOTW should never go either and to round it out Bad should be played every show and it made law it is.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
Yeah streets needs a frenetic pace and energy on this tour, no messing around.

Offline TheEnd

• Refugee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 02:24:06 PM »
Sticking strictly to warhorse songs..

Keep:
1. Streets
2. Bullet the blue
3. Until the end of the world
4. Bad

Get rid of:
1. City of blinding lights (please?)
2. Beautiful Day (double please?)
3. Pride
4. Mysterious ways (I'd rather hear another AB song)

My 'keep' list would probably be different if I were to include deeper cuts or songs from SOI.

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2017, 02:33:03 PM »
Keep:

Streets
With or Without You
One
Until The End of the World

Shelve:

City of Blinding Lights (I can't believe it's even considered a warhorse)
Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Sunday Bloody Sunday (In its current form, play it properly)
Song For Someone (I'm getting in early before it becomes a warhorse)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Yaro

• Stateless
  • Everything you know is wrong
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2017, 03:19:51 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I appreciate i will probably get lynched for this but i would jib Streets....it has been in decline since Popmart and when the best live version of it i have heard in recent years was by Muse (with Edge) you know it is time to hang it up....

It was flat at the o2 in 2015 as well.

On the other hand Pride which is much maligned live in recent years and rightly so sounded reborn in 2015.

Mysterious Ways is another I wish they would shelve, along with my favourite song Elevation (I had to didn't i, folks!) and Beautiful Day.

Along with the aforementioned Pride...get NYD in the set again and keep it there please and while we are at it UTEOTW should never go either and to round it out Bad should be played every show and it made law it is.
Dont worry about getting lynched, like a waiver against other opinions,you are certified around here....Anyway,totally opposite here..after 30+ live shows , I d feel absolutely robbed and would  demand a refund if they didn't whip up  The Streets..absolute highlight of every damn show,no matter what..there are fans that been to 50 + shows (i know some) and they always talk about rarities and B=sides they want to hear,yeah yeah yeah..but no matter how many shows I ve been to, I still expect to hear  The Streets (my NO. 1 live horse), With or without , Looking for, Pride,Beautiful Day and some  Achtung baby..One man's junk is another man's treasure"

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
The warhorse debate...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 07:09:04 PM »
The only warhorse I would truly ditch is Vertigo.
I've never been that enthusiastic about the studio version either.

I agree that Streets has been subpar for a long time: the last great rendition was during Elevation Tour.
Worst during Vertigo Tour for me.

But it's still the climax of every U2 show, so not playing it would be a crime, regardless of the effective quality.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 07:11:03 PM by DoYouFeelLoved »

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 07:16:11 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only warhorse I would truly ditch is Vertigo.
I've never been that enthusiastic about the studio version either.

I agree that Streets has been subpar for a long time: the last great rendition was during Elevation Tour.
Worst during Vertigo Tour for me.

But it's still the climax of every U2 show, so not playing it would be a crime, regardless of the effective quality.

The crowd always goes crazy when they play Streets so it'd be silly to drop it.  Mysterious Ways and SBS I could easily live without. 

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2017, 10:32:25 PM »
First off, I think that it's obvious that they are never going to drop Streets from the set.

I truly hope that we see WOWY disappear for a while, the song hasn't held up well since Popmart. Mysterious Ways is overdone and unless U2 are willing to give it a new, funkier arrangement, I say it should be dropped. Oh, and Beautiful Day, Vertigo, City of Blinding Lights, Elevation, and Vertigo must go.

Bad is a true beast of a song. I don't have any idea why it isn't played all that often... at least when compared to the likes of WOWY and Streets. If BTBS counts as a warhorse then I'd say keep it.

Offline redapple129

• Babyface
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 10:54:53 PM »
I'd count a song played most every night for 5 of 6 tours a warhorse. And yeah, keep BTBS so long as there's energy behind it (the film from Chicago tells me they made the right call giving it a rest after Vertigo). Keep Streets as long as they remember it needs a good lead-in (Mother and Child Reunion is not a good lead-in). Keep UTEOTW and the Pride they found during Europe the last time around.

Shelve One, at least until Bono can play again and they can make a proper new arrangement. Shelve Beautiful Day and Elevation. Shelve ISHFWILF, I've honestly never taken to it live aside from when they had the choir.

Offline fardreamer

• Child of Grace
  • The best things are easy to destroy
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 11:56:20 PM »
They're never going to drop most of these.

Time for a reality check.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2017, 04:28:10 AM »
Keep Streets, maybe segue from Zooropa (no matter what an tha says)