Author Topic: The warhorse debate...  (Read 2012 times)

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
Re: The warhorse debate...
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2017, 06:29:47 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Keep Streets, maybe segue from Zooropa (no matter what an tha says)

oh riffy...i realise it will never happen but for me i wouldn't care if it did....never cared for it as a song.

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2017, 06:40:31 AM »
Keep Streets, maybe segue from Zooropa (no matter what an tha says)

oh riffy...i realise it will never happen but for me i wouldn't care if it did....never cared for it as a song.
Well, I'm glad if Streets is always there...and sorry that you don't care for it...it's mostly the long intro, long outro, lyric, guitars, um, gee, I guess it's just everything for me. Gives me the shivers!

Offline miryclay

• Elevated
  • Master of the Snippet
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2017, 06:59:24 PM »
Keep JT Side 1

Lose One, BD, Pride and IWF.

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2017, 07:28:04 PM »
LOSE: Anything after Achtung
KEEP: Anything Achtung or before

Offline jonnydeaf

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
Taking the list in a different direction. Songs I've seen enough of and song I can't ever get enough of...

Ditch:
I Will Follow -- Even I've played it over 500 times in my home; Edge has to be tired of this
Sunday Bloody Sunday -- Losing a little steam; Raised by Wolves had the same theme
Bullet the Blue Sky -- Never been a favorite, overly intense and mot very musical
One -- Just to pi*s people off
Streets -- I'm good with Street at this time.

Return:
Walk On  -- A personal thing relating to personal events.
Ultraviolet -- Underrated song
Twilight -- I do love a good upbeat Boy-era song
The Fly --- a horrible tease when that came on as a recording during I/E
Bad -- Can't ever hear it enough

Why Never? Songs that are rarely/never played that have been ignored for too long:
Like a Song -- Played once
Red Light -- Never played?
Surrender -- It's been 30 years
Promenade -- Never Played?
The First Time -- By the way, this would segue nicely into The Cross by Prince if they wanted a little mashup moment, or with Edge on the piano, it could become a good snippet with Every Breaking Wave.

Offline iwillsinganewsong

• Stateless
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 07:25:33 PM »
Ditch:
WoWY
IWF
ISHFWILF

Should be in every set:
Bad
UTEOTW
Streets

My wish list:
Wild Horses
Ultraviolet
So Cruel
ok ok just do an AB tour!

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 04:18:54 AM »
Ditch:
WoWY
IWF
ISHFWILF

Should be in every set:
Bad
UTEOTW
Streets

My wish list:
Wild Horses
Ultraviolet
So Cruel
ok ok just do an AB tour!
This is great!

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 07:33:39 AM »
Ditch:
Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Will Follow, UTEOTW, Vertigo, Real Thing and most importantly ELEVATION.

I would also add Bullet and WOWY, but given TJT theme, that obviously won't happen.

I really just would love to see songs from the same albums replace what is dropped. Stories For Boys, Electric Co., Wild Horses, Acrobat.

And my pipe dream? DIRTY DAY.

Offline bjkrober

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »
Keep:
Streets
With or Without
Until the End
Vertigo (bring back the crazy siren-sound intro from 360)
I Will Follow

Scrap:
Beautiful Day
Pride
Miracle (Joey Ramone)
Mysterious Ways
Elevation
Sunday

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 08:37:07 AM by bjkrober »

Offline LToy

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 07:55:10 AM »
KEEP: Streets, Until The End, New Year's Day

DROP: Any other warhorse

On The Fence: Bad

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 08:08:10 AM »
I don't see Bad as a warhorse. It's an occasional treat, and IMO, no matter how many times you see it on a setlist and think 'Oh no, not again' once you get there in the moment, you love it. See also Streets. IMO, Streets has become U2's Born To Run. Drop whatever else you want to do, but leave Streets alone.

I mean, has Bad been an every-single-nighter since Outside Broadcast? Most of Elevation maybe? Seems to me it has been spotty since 1993 for sure, and maybe even 2001.

Offline trevgreg

• Numb
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 09:52:11 AM »
I mean, has Bad been an every-single-nighter since Outside Broadcast? Most of Elevation maybe? Seems to me it has been spotty since 1993 for sure, and maybe even 2001.

I often wonder what qualifies as a 'warhorse' here anyway (And based on here, songs like The Miracle already qualify as one?). There have been maybe 5 songs (if that?) that have been literally played nearly every night on previous tours. And unless someone is literally watching every show performance on YouTube, it's really not affecting anyone's lives much.

A lot of it is luck depending on what show you go to anyway. Elevation and ISHFWILF weren't even close to mainstays the last time around, but I saw the former twice and the later three times on the last tour. And oddly enough, despite all the grief Elevation gets in these parts from 10 people or so, it got one of the biggest reactions on both nights. You can see why they'd still be tempted to play it over, say, White as Snow. :D

It is fun for discussion, but

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 12:18:41 PM »
Song For Someone has a real danger of becoming a warhorse ... and how COBL ever made it halfway through the Vertigo tour is beyond me ... poor mans Streets ... dreadful song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 12:40:20 PM »

I often wonder what qualifies as a 'warhorse' here anyway (And based on here, songs like The Miracle already qualify as one?). There have been maybe 5 songs (if that?) that have been literally played nearly every night on previous tours. And unless someone is literally watching every show performance on YouTube, it's really not affecting anyone's lives much.

A lot of it is luck depending on what show you go to anyway. Elevation and ISHFWILF weren't even close to mainstays the last time around, but I saw the former twice and the later three times on the last tour. And oddly enough, despite all the grief Elevation gets in these parts from 10 people or so, it got one of the biggest reactions on both nights. You can see why they'd still be tempted to play it over, say, White as Snow. :D

It is fun for discussion, but

My personal definition of warhorse is a song that has been played to death, especially one that gets a big response from the crowd though those of us who have seen a good number of shows are kind of tired of them. I don't consider a song that has only been played on one tour, like The Miracle, to be a warhorse.

In my own personal opinion, U2's warhorses are:

I Will Follow
SBS
Pride
Streets
WOWY
ISHFWILF
BTBS
Desire
Mysterious Ways
One
Real Thing
UTEOTW
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Vertigo
COBL

Now I am not saying that I want all these songs dropped; far from it. I just wish they would rely on this list of songs a little less when filling out a setlist around new material (or in this case, TJT). I get that U2 can say that people are paying good money to come hear a song like Sunday Blood Sunday or Pride or WOWY, and I wouldn't waste any time arguing with them. The songs that have started to get my goat just a little are Elevation, COBL and especially UTEOTW. Those songs weren't 'hits' and I really don't think very many folks are walking into the venue saying to their friends 'Boy, if I don't get City Of Blinding Lights, and I am going to demand my money back!'

There are must-plays, like Streets or SBS, and then there are the songs that U2 seem to think they HAVE to play but don't. And I am gong to pick on End of the World for a second here. It was played every night on ZooTV. And PopMart. And Elevation. And Vertigo. And I+E. And very often on 360 as well. It is a good song, but enough already. It wasn't a hit. It wasn't even a single. Casual fans don't know it and can live without it. Us diehards have gotten it over and over and over and over and over again. There are so many more songs from Achtung Baby that deserve to come out instead. That slot would be a fine place to another album cut from AB, Zooropa or Pop.

Pull out UTEOTW and replace it with Please or Gone or Dirty Day. The casuals aren't going to notice the difference, but us? I think 90 percent of the people here would have a FIT if we went to show expecting the next song to be End of the World and got one of the three songs I just named instead.

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 12:41:16 PM »
Song For Someone has a real danger of becoming a warhorse ... and how COBL ever made it halfway through the Vertigo tour is beyond me ... poor mans Streets ... dreadful song

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Different strokes......I thought COBL was a great opener on the HTDAAB tour. Just like pretty much all my U2 friends loved Raised by Wolves on I&E, and I think that's the worst song on the album.