Author Topic: The warhorse debate...  (Read 2251 times)

Offline mmcallahan

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Re: The warhorse debate...
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:41 AM »
I'm one of the few that would be happy not to see One again...   

Here are a bunch that I would LOVE to see this tour (some I've seen a few times over the years and a few I've never seen):
Bad
The Fly
Zoo Station
Acrobat
Kite
Lady With The Spinning Head
An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart/Out of Control (just like on the album...)
Hawkmoon 269 

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2017, 11:07:19 AM »
Keep:
Streets
One
Bad
I Will follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day (more of)
Gloria (more of)

Drop:
Pride
Mysterious Ways
Until The End Of The World
Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Desire
Angel Of Harlem

I'd drop ISHFWILF and Bullet too but since its the JT Tour 2017 that isn't happening :P:P

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 10:52:07 PM »
They're not going to drop any of these. They're now a greatest hits band.

But Pride really should go. It's just a wafer thin song musically. Lyrically it is great but musically it is bland.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2017, 11:18:21 PM »
Bullet and Pride were revelations on I+e, after being respectively tepid on Vertigo and redundant on 360. 

UTEOTW was better on I+e than on 360 and Vertigo.

I thought Mysterious Ways sounded funky on I+e, which is good.

Streets is a certainly but they need to re-energise the song live.

Vertigo is a good live rocker on any tour but I don't think it deserves Warhorses status.

Basically I think they should rest SBS and pension off Elevation.  Also I don't want to hear an acoustic number at a U2 show at all.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2017, 09:20:39 AM »
I don't understand why "New Years Day" isn't considered a warhorse?  It was pretty much their first real hit song, the one that actually got them on the map.  I still hear it from time to time on classic rock radio, and in random places like restaurants or malls, etc.  U2 seem to prefer not to play it, but seem to understand that sometimes it is needed.  I think it's one of the better songs of their "warhorses".  It's a good audience singalong, and the crowd really gets a kick out of Edge doing triple duty (guitar, keyboards, backing vocals).  I'll break it down for ya, as I have time. 

LoveTown Tour- NYD started missing shows occasionally.  It was starting to be seen as despensible here.
Zoo TV- Missed the entire first 2 legs of the tour, in arenas.  Only was brought out when the show moved to stadiums, and WGRYWH was replaced by NYD to beef up the setlist a little.  Was played nightly afterwards.
Popmart- Wasn't added until late in the first leg.  Some of the Pop songs weren't working live and were dropped, and they needed to add something from their A-list to, once again, beef up the setlist.  Was played nightly afterwards.
Elevation- Was almost a nightly staple, occasionally rotated with Mysterious Ways or Discotheque. 
Vertigo- Played quite a bit in the early part of the tour, then at most of the stadium shows.  Wasn't played at all on the fall North America leg, despite having 50+ shows.  Played at roughly half the shows.
360- Played 29 times out of 110 shows.  No method to it, really.  Sometimes it'd just pop up. 
I&E- Played 3 (wtf?) times out of 76 shows. 
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:22:38 AM by podiumboy »

Offline imaginary friend

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • take the long way home
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2017, 09:37:27 AM »
keep:

NYD
COBL
BD

drop:

none - just make a list of the rest, and do half of that list (at most) on any given night.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 04:02:21 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't understand why "New Years Day" isn't considered a warhorse?

Well like you said, it hasn't really been a consistent song for them since the Vertigo tour. I've been to seven shows since that tour and have yet to see it live.

Offline spooked1oo

• Numb
  • Fourty-five lightyears from home
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2017, 05:22:58 PM »
Pleeeeaase, drop Elevation. I know we need that jumper of a song, but it's time to give it a rest. I'd rather have Vertigo if we had to, but I wouldn't mind that going either. Bring back Mofo or Discotheque for once instead.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2017, 06:02:20 PM »
Pleeeeaase, drop Elevation. I know we need that jumper of a song, but it's time to give it a rest. I'd rather have Vertigo if we had to, but I wouldn't mind that going either. Bring back Mofo or Discotheque for once instead.

I think an tha has got to you -  Elevation is immense!  ;)  Would like Mofo in the set but won't cry if I don't hear them play Discotheque again.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
But Pride really should go. It's just a wafer thin song musically. Lyrically it is great but musically it is bland.
Agreed.

Offline InTheSlipStream

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 01:47:13 PM »
Sticking to your 4 song limit:

Keep:

Bullet
UTEOTW
Streets
Beautiful Day

Get rid of:
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Pride
Mysterious Ways
Still Haven't Found...

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 02:31:03 PM »
They're not going to drop any of these. They're now a greatest hits band.

Greatest Hits bands don't play this many new songs on a tour:
The Miracle
Song For Someone
Every Breaking Wave
Cedarwood Road
Raised By Wolves
Iris
Invisible

That's 7 songs -- roughly one third of the set -- that were new on I+E. That's practically unheard of for a band in its 40th year.

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 02:36:29 PM »
Pride & Elevation are good songs : but they aren't worth being played AT. EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. EVER. They're Ok to bring out maybe one show in three. Pride is musically fairly repetitive, and Elevation is a lyrically empty shopping list.

Songs like Desire, AOH, All I Want Is You, 2HBAO, Gloria, Out Of Control, etc., are all good but should be songs that sit in a 'random hit' slot.

Vertigo, B Day, COBL are necessary or U2 become a rolling nostalgia show that haven't written a good song in 25 years. I also think they need to keep 2-3 songs from SOI or it really is a touring jukebox.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 03:21:47 PM »
Greatest Hits bands don't play this many new songs on a tour:
The Miracle
Song For Someone
Every Breaking Wave
Cedarwood Road
Raised By Wolves
Iris
Invisible

That's 7 songs -- roughly one third of the set -- that were new on I+E. That's practically unheard of for a band in its 40th year.

Exactly. I see veteran acts that only play 1 or 2 new songs in a full set sometimes. If you're lucky, they get to 3 or 4, which not many of them do. U2 even played 9 total new songs at one of the I&E shows I saw.

Pride & Elevation are good songs : but they aren't worth being played AT. EVERY. SINGLE. SHOW. EVER. They're Ok to bring out maybe one show in three. Pride is musically fairly repetitive, and Elevation is a lyrically empty shopping list.

The odd thing is that depending on what shows you went to, those songs weren't exactly mainstays in the sets. For example...

Elevation:
360: 94/110 shows
I&E: 32/76 shows

Pride:
360: 65/110 shows
I&E: 76/76 shows

Elevation wasn't even played at half of the I&E shows, but I heard it at 2 of my 3 from that year. And each time, it got one of the biggest reactions of the night, which shows why it might come out more often than not. I remember being at the first 360 show where Pride got played too, after they avoided it at all the European shows before that.

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 05:28:48 PM »
Keep:
UTEOTW
Streets
Bad
SBS

Lose:
WOWY (for the love of God!)
Beautiful Day
I Will Follow
ISFHWILF