Author Topic: Even better than the real thing - current line/title  (Read 449 times)

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
Even better than the real thing - current line/title
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:56:46 AM »
Hi there!

I was just thinking about Even better than the real thing and what might be the real thing, what is it that's even better than that, when it came to my mind that this line is currently relevant to the situation in many countries.
Without the purpose of gettting too political, I have to say the line fits perfectly (in an ironic, critical way or intention, of course) in the "past-truth" discussions e.g. in Germany/Europe and also the U.S., where some people tend to believe things they want to believe or they feel is right but which is absolutely opposing to actual empiric results and provable facts.
What do you think about it?

Have a great day!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 04:02:00 AM by flowtheman »

Offline Lizard

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
Re: Even better than the real thing - current line/title
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 08:32:04 AM »
That's an interesting point you got there. People no longer looking for what's true and what's real.

I just looked up what Bono said in U2byU2 'bout this song and it goes along the same lines:

It was originally called the "The Real Thing", which is a dumb title for a song. "Even better than the real thing" is much more reflective of the times we were living in, when people were no longer looking for the truth, we are all looking for instant gratification.

Offline flowtheman

• Babyface
  • Even better than the real thing.
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 08:48:02 AM »
Mhm, that seems to fit. So my idea is not totally absurd :-D

Offline ian ryan

• Global Moderator
  • Staring at the Sun
  • Don't worry, baby, it'll be alright
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 11:48:01 PM »
My interpretation, based on early versions of the song and the music videos, is that Even Better Than The Real Thing is a tribute to gay and transgender people through the lens of glam rock.

"You're a drag star, you sent me a song of speed
Your electric guitar is a habit I've gotta feed
Check it out, someone
You're a high wire act, an acrobat
A wrestler, take away the mat
You're a drag star, I'll be your spin machine"

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 11:51:05 PM by ian ryan »