Author Topic: Something needs to be done about Ticketmaster  (Read 3676 times)

Offline 1967mca

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Something needs to be done about Ticketmaster
« on: January 16, 2017, 11:52:06 AM »
I don't post here often. Just an avid reader of posts. However today I am 1 angry U2 fan. Now I'm not a member of the U2 website but I've been going to see U2 since I 1st saw them play at Tiffanys in Glasgow way back in the early 80s. I have not missed a tour since. However this new tour will be missed. I've not seen any more posts about this but over here in Britain the Internet is exploding with furious fans and their fury is getting directed towards Ticketmaster and to a lesser extent U2. Today along with 12 other friends we all logged on to TM ready to apply for tickets at 9am. At 9.01 we were told tickets were sold out but then redirected to TMs resale website Get Me In were we could buy tickets at 279 pound. So basically it looks like TM are buying the tickets and then reselling them on their sister website for triple the price. This is a scandal and something needs to be done. U2 should do something about it. They must know. If they don't they soon will because they'll be playing in half empty stadiums. Extra dates were then added because of demand but they are not been sold until next week. Usually they just continue selling on the same day but I guess this gives TM time to regroup and do the same again next Monday. Really angry just now.

Waffles

Re: Something needs to be done about Ticketmaster
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 11:59:40 AM »
This happens, nothing's going to change.

Offline Bentleyspop

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:06:42 PM »
The problem is TM won't  do anything about the scalpers. They are under NO pressure from artists, venues, promoters, etc to upgrade  software to prevent the bots.

It's  the scalpers with the bots buying up all the tickets.

Then there is the problem  of the people buying from the scalpers.
If people stop buying from the scalpers they will go away.

Also keep trying for tickets. There are always drops.
Sometimes a few minutes, days, or weeks after onsale.

Don't let the bastards get you down
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:08:38 PM by Bentleyspop »

Offline 1967mca

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »
Last year I saw Springsteen and Coldplay in Glasgow. The Springsteen ticket was bought from gumtree at the fixed ticket price and the Coldplay ticket was bought from a tout at the venue again at face value. Both these gigs there were thousands of empty seats. I can only assume they are the tickets that TM couldn't flog. I would have went down one of those routes again if U2 were playing in Glasgow on this tour but unfortunately that ain't happening, but I don't want to start a rant about that. Lol

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »
My advice use scarlet mist; it's the best ticket website out there.
All tickets are sold at purchase price, no profits.

Free to join.

No nonsense.

Offline Rono

• Babyface
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:49:56 PM »
Sorry to here you couldn't get tickets. Keep trying especially closer to the date. I got tickets for the I+E tour in Dublin the week before the show. I got Springsteen tickets the day of the show.  Both by just logging into Ticketmaster. Sometimes there released after production set up is finalised. 

There is alot of anger in Ireland with ticketmaster and seatwave! There is 100s of tickets available before both the general and Pre sales began.   Looking at the comments on U2s most recent FB post alot of fans are angry. 

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 01:12:41 PM »
I agree absolutely with the OP. I have been so angry today. I was also on Ticketmaster this morning at 9am when there were NO available standing tickets for Twickenham at all and yet hundreds for resale.

Surely U2 have the power to ban the sale of their tickets for inflated prices on secondary sites. They could do the right thing by leading the way with this.

I think they must have dropped some GA tickets this afternoon because I managed to pick one up for face value at about 10 to 4. I have counted myself very lucky but it hasn't stopped my anger at the unfairness of an obviously corrupt ticketing system.

Offline coach

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »

Nothing new, Ticketing IS a fixed game:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jgrooms

• Stateless
  • Hello
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 02:37:48 PM »
I don't post here often. Just an avid reader of posts. However today I am 1 angry U2 fan. Now I'm not a member of the U2 website but I've been going to see U2 since I 1st saw them play at Tiffanys in Glasgow way back in the early 80s. I have not missed a tour since. However this new tour will be missed. I've not seen any more posts about this but over here in Britain the Internet is exploding with furious fans and their fury is getting directed towards Ticketmaster and to a lesser extent U2. Today along with 12 other friends we all logged on to TM ready to apply for tickets at 9am. At 9.01 we were told tickets were sold out but then redirected to TMs resale website Get Me In were we could buy tickets at 279 pound. So basically it looks like TM are buying the tickets and then reselling them on their sister website for triple the price. This is a scandal and something needs to be done. U2 should do something about it. They must know. If they don't they soon will because they'll be playing in half empty stadiums. Extra dates were then added because of demand but they are not been sold until next week. Usually they just continue selling on the same day but I guess this gives TM time to regroup and do the same again next Monday. Really angry just now.

Maybe you missed the posts elsewhere about this, at least in the earlier pre-sales.  Tickets are released in blocks.

This is what happened to me personally.  I tried right at 9am for the Rose Bowl show and got offered crap seats, tried a few more times, crap seats, then finally - nothing available.  I didn't believe it could have sold out that fast so I tried again at 10:30 - 4 floor seats.

So I don't know if this is the same with all shows but that is what happened with me, don't give up if offered crap or no seats.

Now all that said, Ticketmaster does indeed suck.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 02:39:50 PM by jgrooms »

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 03:02:09 PM »
I knew that obtaining membership almost guaranteed tickets or at the very least gave me more of a chance to get standing tickets. I'm glad I paid it and it was totally worth it. And I get a free gift!

Offline david

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 03:26:43 PM »
I knew that obtaining membership almost guaranteed tickets or at the very least gave me more of a chance to get standing tickets. I'm glad I paid it and it was totally worth it. And I get a free gift!

'Free gift'...don't make me laugh.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 03:32:49 PM »

'Free gift'...don't make me laugh.

Sarcasm indeed.

Offline kseguin

• Wanderer
  • Montreal, Newark, Dublin
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2017, 04:05:02 PM »
What's cheaper, membership + list price or ticket or stubhub/get me in/scalper price?

U2.com worth the price?

I think so.

Offline eddyjedi

• Elevated
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2017, 04:09:18 PM »
Yes.

Offline shesarainbow

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • With a guitar ... on fire.
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2017, 04:16:36 PM »
What's cheaper, membership + list price or ticket or stubhub/get me in/scalper price?

U2.com worth the price?

I think so.

Maybe. If you get what you want. Not everybody does.

It doesn't excuse extortionate ticket pricing on secondary sites and in part causes it.