Author Topic: Bono's injuries/ guitar playing  (Read 640 times)

Offline Feeder

• Stranger in a Strange Land
  • From father to son.........
Bono's injuries/ guitar playing
« on: January 16, 2017, 04:47:04 PM »
Anyone hear any updates on Bono's ability to play guitar again? I read somewhere that he said nerve damage repairs itself very slowly, if at all. Sure would be nice to see the green Irish Falcon again. He sounded great on 360 playing Amazing Grace and Hallelujah solo.

Online eddyjedi

• Elevated
Re: Bono's injuries/ guitar playing
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Harmonica only for

RTSS
TTYW

I hope.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:31:10 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone hear any updates on Bono's ability to play guitar again? I read somewhere that he said nerve damage repairs itself very slowly, if at all. Sure would be nice to see the green Irish Falcon again. He sounded great on 360 playing Amazing Grace and Hallelujah solo.

I'm also curious to see how his recovery is coming along, as I had the same injury as him but I was fortunate not to get the nerve damage.  He's been very unlucky if he has lost the ability to play guitar - especially as it's a tool of his trade (songwriting and performing).  At least he should be okay for harmonica as eddyjedi points out.

Offline beerok

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:58:45 PM »
Didn't the Xmas video message from their studio have a guitar case labeled "Bono" under the Joshua Tree? Maybe a hint?

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 09:47:59 PM »
Desire has harmonica in it, doesn't it? They just played that live at iHeartRadio--did Bono play the harmonica then? If he did, I'd say he's good to go for TJT tour.

Regarding nerve damage and guitar playing, if you can't control movement of your fretting fingers, it's almost impossible to get them in the right position to play chords (even basic chords). It sounds like when his shoulder got busted up, it messed with those nerves. I play bass/electric guitar and injured my left pinkie over a decade ago playing football...I still can't use it effectively myself, despite years of trying. I could only imagine how tough it would be if all fingers were as difficult to maneuver as that pinkie, which I assume is what nerve damage is like.

That said, physical therapists can work miracles today. Even people who were told they'd never be able to walk again have done enough PT to get to a point where they can walk. I did a 8 week stint of PT last summer and saw many people come in with BAD shoulder injuries, only to regain most of their movement within a couple months. So I don't doubt that Bono's nerve damage could be reversed somewhat with the right PT team. I think if he really wants to play again, he'll find a way. If not, no shame in hanging it up, especially if it's too painful for him.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:21:15 AM »
Desire has harmonica in it, doesn't it? They just played that live at iHeartRadio--did Bono play the harmonica then? If he did, I'd say he's good to go for TJT tour.

Regarding nerve damage and guitar playing, if you can't control movement of your fretting fingers, it's almost impossible to get them in the right position to play chords (even basic chords). It sounds like when his shoulder got busted up, it messed with those nerves. I play bass/electric guitar and injured my left pinkie over a decade ago playing football...I still can't use it effectively myself, despite years of trying. I could only imagine how tough it would be if all fingers were as difficult to maneuver as that pinkie, which I assume is what nerve damage is like.

That said, physical therapists can work miracles today. Even people who were told they'd never be able to walk again have done enough PT to get to a point where they can walk. I did a 8 week stint of PT last summer and saw many people come in with BAD shoulder injuries, only to regain most of their movement within a couple months. So I don't doubt that Bono's nerve damage could be reversed somewhat with the right PT team. I think if he really wants to play again, he'll find a way. If not, no shame in hanging it up, especially if it's too painful for him.

I think he broke his finger in the accident too, and that could be the source of the problem?  Either that or the ulnar nerve – when I smashed up my elbow that was the nerve they were concerned about and they told me if the op went wrong I’d lose the use of my hand.  Bono seemed to have a great range of movement in his elbow on the last tour, and I couldn’t see any scarring on his arm so they seem to have patched him up and made him mobile remarkably well.

Very sorry to hear about your football accident – football is such a dangerous sport and I’ve never understood why anyone would want to play it!  Would advise switching to something more artistic like soccer, although that does run the risk of serious leg and ankle injuries.  I hope you can still play guitar/bass a bit?  You can try different tunings to use less fingers for the basic chords – e.g. open E or open G tuning?  Failing that, drums are fun  :)

PT support in the USA seems pretty incredible given the stories you relay of movement recovery.  I am sure Bono has had access to a very skilled private therapist and would be great to see him playing guitar on the upcoming tour.

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:08 AM »

I think he broke his finger in the accident too, and that could be the source of the problem?  Either that or the ulnar nerve – when I smashed up my elbow that was the nerve they were concerned about and they told me if the op went wrong I’d lose the use of my hand.  Bono seemed to have a great range of movement in his elbow on the last tour, and I couldn’t see any scarring on his arm so they seem to have patched him up and made him mobile remarkably well.

Very sorry to hear about your football accident – football is such a dangerous sport and I’ve never understood why anyone would want to play it!  Would advise switching to something more artistic like soccer, although that does run the risk of serious leg and ankle injuries.  I hope you can still play guitar/bass a bit?  You can try different tunings to use less fingers for the basic chords – e.g. open E or open G tuning?  Failing that, drums are fun  :)

PT support in the USA seems pretty incredible given the stories you relay of movement recovery.  I am sure Bono has had access to a very skilled private therapist and would be great to see him playing guitar on the upcoming tour.

Hah, yeah, it was actually a family football game (two hand touch). Went up to catch the ball, didn't know my brother was there and my pinkie slammed hard into his shoulder. You'd think with it being two hand touch that I'd manage to get through it not hurting anything, but no such luck. Didn't affect my ability to play basketball after that, but just means I can't really use that pinkie to play bass or guitar. I'm able to play just fine with the other three fingers and can sometimes get my pinkie to cooperate and form four finger chords (other times it just locks up).

It seems like Bono's rehab team did a really good job with him, so I'm optimistic he'll be able to play again if he so chooses.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 01:14:04 PM »

Hah, yeah, it was actually a family football game (two hand touch). Went up to catch the ball, didn't know my brother was there and my pinkie slammed hard into his shoulder. You'd think with it being two hand touch that I'd manage to get through it not hurting anything, but no such luck. Didn't affect my ability to play basketball after that, but just means I can't really use that pinkie to play bass or guitar. I'm able to play just fine with the other three fingers and can sometimes get my pinkie to cooperate and form four finger chords (other times it just locks up).

It seems like Bono's rehab team did a really good job with him, so I'm optimistic he'll be able to play again if he so chooses.

You do seem very unlucky - not sure I've ever met anyone who managed to have a dog break their foot, or have a catastrophic finger injury  playing two-hand touch!  Fortunately there are many guitar chord shapes that can be played with just 3 fingers, especially in a tuning like open G. 

Regarding Bono I was very impressed to see him moving his arm as though nothing had happened.  With his kind of injury you're expected to lose 40% of your range of elbow movement, but no sign of that looking at him.  I am guessing he had some sort of plastic surgery to remove the scarring on his arm too as his arm looks as smooth as a baby's bottom in the Paris video.

Online tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »

You do seem very unlucky - not sure I've ever met anyone who managed to have a dog break their foot, or have a catastrophic finger injury  playing two-hand touch!  Fortunately there are many guitar chord shapes that can be played with just 3 fingers, especially in a tuning like open G. 

Regarding Bono I was very impressed to see him moving his arm as though nothing had happened.  With his kind of injury you're expected to lose 40% of your range of elbow movement, but no sign of that looking at him.  I am guessing he had some sort of plastic surgery to remove the scarring on his arm too as his arm looks as smooth as a baby's bottom in the Paris video.

Oh yeah, I have two bad traits. 1) I'm clumsy and 2) I have pretty bad luck. Combined, it's a wonder I didn't break a bone sooner than last year.  ;D

Yeah, I was going to say, I read about his injury yesterday and it sounds like his face was messed up pretty badly as well. Yet I see no signs of scarring in his recent appearances (on Kimmel or the Omaze video). Either he has a really good makeup artist or a good plastic surgeon.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 03:13:43 PM »

Oh yeah, I have two bad traits. 1) I'm clumsy and 2) I have pretty bad luck. Combined, it's a wonder I didn't break a bone sooner than last year.  ;D

Yeah, I was going to say, I read about his injury yesterday and it sounds like his face was messed up pretty badly as well. Yet I see no signs of scarring in his recent appearances (on Kimmel or the Omaze video). Either he has a really good makeup artist or a good plastic surgeon.

Clumsy people tend to be very intelligent – smartest person I know is always having accidents, e.g. leaving the lid on the kettle loose when pouring it.  That time I got in a car she was driving is among the most wreckless things I have ever done  :P

Yes Bono suffered a broken eye-socket on top of his shoulder, elbow and finger injuries and it looks like they fixed that up well.  I wish they’d give me his plastic surgeon on the NHS as the scars on my arm are rather grueseome.