Author Topic: Let's just accept this is about money...  (Read 3234 times)

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
Let's just accept this is about money...
« on: January 17, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
This is not a hating post at all, I'm sure the JT shows will be great and successful.

The variety of topics discussing the past few tours have all descended into Is/Isn't it a Greatest Hits tour? It's the same as back in the old Wire days when the Greatest hits albums were released... the debates are similar.

What makes this easier to deal with is to just accept that it's all about money. The JT tour is not about art, not about F$#%king up the mainstream, not about breaking new ground. It is about money.

And that's fine! Bands are allowed to make money, no bands set out to be anything but big.

If this wasn't about money, they would be touring new areas other than those they played 18 months ago. The US. Europe. Those markets again get the gigs because... they are the strongest financial markets for the band to play.

Edge embarrassed himself in the interview about the reasons behind the tour. Bono pulled it back a little bit.

They're a big band, with huge earning power, and this tour is exploiting this to its maximum.

I'm sure they'll be great shows. I've bought tickets to one of the shows in Berlin (remains to be seen if I get there). But I've done it having fully accepted that I'm paying money for something designed purely to make a lot of money in a relatively short period of time. I give money, they give me a show, deal done.

Just accept that it's about money, about using nostalgia to make that money, and to extract large sums from those who can now afford tickets over $150 - The over 35s.

I've accepted it. It works. It's business.

And it's good business.

Waffles

Re: Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:48:09 PM »
This is exactly it, 100% spot on. And ya know what, it doesn't have to be a bad thing if it's about money. I'm going to enjoy hearing their best album. The reality is if it weren't for this tour, we might never hear red hill live

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:51:42 PM »
I sort of disagree. The band does not need any money.

I agree that Edge was flailing when he said it wasn't about nostalgia in Rolling Stone.

I think this is about the fact that the band has struggled creatively lately - the last album was not too well received, Get On your Boots was a joke, and they seem unable to finish SOE. I think they just want to go back to what most fans (not the ones on thie site) really want to hear.

I think they are done creatively, and in denial about that - but they still ROCK live - and I can't wait to see them.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 04:59:06 PM »
Multi millionaires don't need any more money. What made them multi millionaires, rather than simply millionaires, was that they and those attached wanted more money.

That continues.

They are beholden to their lifestyles, their families are quite attached to their lifestyles, their accountants, lawyers, managers, business operatives are all keen to build on their wealth.

To think this is about what 4 guys want is naive. U2 are not 4 guys anymore and haven't been for 30+ years.

Romantically we like to think that they are, but they are a business. TJT tour is about money, and it will make lots. It will probably also be good to watch.

So it works.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:02:38 PM by briscoetheque »

Offline mariamontreal

• Numb
  • She moves in mysterious ways
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:35:12 PM »
They would make even more money if they played more than 2 nights one on west coast and one on East Coast in Canada. No wonder why I can't get tickets and were sold out in minutes. This is what happens even to a  loyal fan for 30 year's. The album of my youth that inspired me .I am out of words...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:37:21 PM by mariamontreal »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 06:14:20 PM »
Brisco's OP is 100% dead right.

It also should be noted, the shows are selling very well apparently, more so than I would have thought.... and I am betting largely due to the big turnout by very casual fans who perhaps have not listened to U2 for a very long time (in terms of recent albums) and maybe have not seen a U2 show since 1987.  And to Maria's point yes it is too bad that this is impacting long time fans' ability to see these shows... but that is very good for U2 Inc. 

Remains to be seen how all this will translate to the live show and atmosphere in the crowds.

Offline schaeon

• Babyface
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:23:21 PM »
McSwilly nailed it...mic drop

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:05 PM »
Yep, agreed.

Offline halv

• Wanderer
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2017, 08:01:24 PM »
I think McSwilly has a point, but I also think this is an effort to get the public excited about the band again. Remind the casual fan why they loved the band in the first place and hope the renewed excitement gets them interested in the new album next year.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2017, 10:44:43 PM »
I agree that it's about money... I sure as hell forked mine over!  I cannot wait!!

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 11:26:30 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think McSwilly has a point, but I also think this is an effort to get the public excited about the band again. Remind the casual fan why they loved the band in the first place and hope the renewed excitement gets them interested in the new album next year.

Yes but playing TJT in full in running order this tour nods to the die hards: we get to hear Exit, RHMT, OTH, MOTD, IGC, etc.

I don't care about their business decisions. Music business is not pretty and no one enjoys watching sausage get made. But the show will be amazing and you will leave on a high. All the cynicism will dissipate when the red screens start glowing...

Offline weinerdog

• Stateless
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »
I somewhat disagree about the band being done creatively. I think SOI is very good and am hopeful for SOE.  IMO it's more about the motivation not being there....but when it is I still enjoy their new stuff plenty. 'Cedarwood Road', 'EBW', 'Iris'.....I thought those held their own quite well the last tour.

As for a cash grab, can't argue there. I'll give 'em a pass on that every 40 years or so ;)

Offline RathfarnhamU2Fan

• Stateless
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »
I just can't see it.
For a band who could sell out stadiums no matter what they do, they have literally squandered hundreds of millions on tour profits dragging huge stage productions around the world over the last 25 years.Zoot TV and Popmart were triumphs, but left the band with marginal profit despite the huge gross figures.One just has to look at the Stones to see how much easier they could make it on themselves.They are already filthy rich and have been for decades, why are they suddenly looking to pig out now?
It could be something as mundane as the band trying to reconnect with something they feel they've lost a bit over the years.

Offline reeveb

• Babyface
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2017, 02:30:09 AM »
When I am at a u2 show - and I've seen six over the years - I never ever once question how much I paid because I could never name another place for any price I'd rather be. We all talk about living in the now but it's one of the few times all the crap in life melts away and I really feel present. The memories / man I don't even know what I had for lunch two days ago but so many vivid , palpable , take it to the grave memories of their shows. Some of my friends gripe about costs well tell me - name one thing you could do that night of the show instead that's going to stay with you like that . I paid $350 a pop to see R.E.M. in college (1987) and man - ESP now that they crumbled and dissolved it was worth it - every penny . Anyway everyone has a right to their opinion but at some point analysis destroys wholes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Belisama

• Global Moderator
  • Original of the Species
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 04:18:25 AM »
This is not a rebel song. . .

Sorry Briscoe, that is the first thing that came to mind when I started to read your post.

I do think it is about money-- not because U2 want or need it-- but because that is how we in the world partly measure importance and relevance. Like it or not.  And U2 had to accept that as well. And I am fine with it. I am more than happy to relive my youth rocking out to the JT and watch as those younger than me try to understand just how big a deal JT was when it was released.  They will never fully understand and I can live with that too.

I do like to think that this tour has a bit of a good will element to it. The merging of U2 needing to give fans something while churning away at finishing the elusive SOE. Hard to argue with the timing. And this is so much better than a remaster.

Cannot wait for the 30th Zoo TV Tour.