Author Topic: Let's just accept this is about money...  (Read 3355 times)

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
Re: Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 04:23:26 AM »
And, the AB 30th...

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 05:04:12 AM »
Or tours in Asia.

Offline shorne

• Headache in a Suitcase
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
I'm skipping out not because I'm hating.  I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE U2... but the timing is not the best.  I live in Ottawa and it's Canada's 150th birthday... this is the place to enjoy the summer.  I'm holding out for the tour supporting the next album.

BUT- I'm betting that this tour will also serve as a testing ground for some songs of innocence and maybe some songs of experience to see how they work in a stadium setting.  I could be wrong though.

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 07:30:14 AM »
Well, look at this way ... maybe selling all of these tickets in stadiums with what looks to be a relatively low-tech set-up (by U2's standards) will help underwrite next year's arena tour when the fancy I+E stage returns.

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2017, 11:54:04 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I think McSwilly has a point, but I also think this is an effort to get the public excited about the band again. Remind the casual fan why they loved the band in the first place and hope the renewed excitement gets them interested in the new album next year.

This theory keeps coming up. I don't see why casual fans that will come for JT will care about any new(er) songs. I wonder if JT30 means we're getting AB30 as well ?

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2017, 12:14:25 PM »
If this tour was about money it would be three times longer and spiralling all around the world. This tour is about creating demand. Everyone is talking about this tour. The amount of people suddenly talking to me at work about U2 is insane.

These people missing out now will make sure they catch the next tour!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AchtungPop

• Staring at the Sun
  • Walk On
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
I think McSwilly has a point, but I also think this is an effort to get the public excited about the band again. Remind the casual fan why they loved the band in the first place and hope the renewed excitement gets them interested in the new album next year.

This theory keeps coming up. I don't see why casual fans that will come for JT will care about any new(er) songs. I wonder if JT30 means we're getting AB30 as well ?

I think it could be likely, with a new Zoo TV stage perhaps. Too far in the future though.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2017, 01:12:32 PM »
McSwilly nailed it...mic drop

Pick the mic back up, he didn't nail anything.

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2017, 01:27:23 PM »
I sort of disagree. The band does not need any money.

I agree that Edge was flailing when he said it wasn't about nostalgia in Rolling Stone.

I think this is about the fact that the band has struggled creatively lately - the last album was not too well received, Get On your Boots was a joke, and they seem unable to finish SOE. I think they just want to go back to what most fans (not the ones on thie site) really want to hear.

I think they are done creatively, and in denial about that - but they still ROCK live - and I can't wait to see them.

OK, but consider this ... what if they had dropped Boots in favor of Mercy or Winter, and the lead single from the album had been Magnificent?

Do you still think they are done creatively? Because we are talking about changing out ONE song.

Waffles

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »

It has a chance of working. You have casuals who really only know the JT and a few newer songs like beautiful day. U2 announces it has new music and does one or two tracks at every show. Casual fans unaware they still make new music might actually like those one or two new songs and when SOE comes out, they'll say "hey I should buy this, they played it at the concert earlier this year". Next thing you know, those casuals who just bought SOE might like it and say, "this is great, hey I remember this song! I should see u2 when they come back".

Look at all the casuals who just magically joined this forum this past week. They're buying subscriptions because JT is nostalgic and they want to see it again. And they're joining forums like this one too. I have never seen so many new members in just 2 weeks
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:44:43 PM by Waffles »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2017, 02:06:14 PM »
But Rob what is creating demand aiding?

Hint: It's something that makes the world go round...

If they were really proud of I+e they could have toured arenas around the world by now. They would have made money doing that and also stayed true to the intimacy of the shows. Instead the choice is to go back, crack out some old memberberries and sell out large stadiums for a couple of nights and rake in the dough.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
I mean, sure.  But I don't see this being a new development for a band that was charging $250 for seats during the last couple of tours.  All of their tours are about money.  Not just this one.

I see the OP as a way to de-legitimize this tour compared to the "it's all about the art, maaaan" view regarding their previous ones.  I think this tour can be every bit as artistic and, yes, entertaining, as their previous ones.  Just like a classical concert, consisting of material 100's of years old, can be a moving experience without playing a single "new song".  I'll judge for myself when I see it.  If them not touring new material is a turnoff--and hey, I get it, not everyone will be into this--fair play.

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2017, 02:24:32 PM »
I mean, sure.  But I don't see this being a new development for a band that was charging $250 for seats during the last couple of tours.  All of their tours are about money.  Not just this one.

I see the OP as a way to de-legitimize this tour compared to the "it's all about the art, maaaan" view regarding their previous ones.  I think this tour can be every bit as artistic and, yes, entertaining, as their previous ones.  Just like a classical concert, consisting of material 100's of years old, can be a moving experience without playing a single "new song".  I'll judge for myself when I see it.  If them not touring new material is a turnoff--and hey, I get it, not everyone will be into this--fair play.

So are people here saying that if they had announced a 40th anniversary tour of just random, grab-bag hits that it was all over and they were just about money?

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2017, 02:31:27 PM »

So are people here saying that if they had announced a 40th anniversary tour of just random, grab-bag hits that it was all over and they were just about money?

I think some are, yes.  I think some are worried that's the case with this tour.  I guess I just find all of the hand-wringing about the motives behind this tour to be a tad overdone.  U2 have been doing stadium shows, and charging some pretty hefty ticket prices, for decades now.  It's not like they HAVEN'T been a giant, corporate, capitalist rock band until now.  Maybe I'm just old enough to accept that this band has been complicated for a long time now.

Offline lorijane

• Airborne Ranger
  • We picked the right band
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2017, 03:36:14 PM »
Isn't pretty much everything about the money? Like Briscoe said, we give them money, they give us a show (that I fully believe will be amazing), deal done. I'm looking forward to it.