Author Topic: Let's just accept this is about money...  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
Re: Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 03:48:23 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I mean, sure.  But I don't see this being a new development for a band that was charging $250 for seats during the last couple of tours.  All of their tours are about money.  Not just this one.

I see the OP as a way to de-legitimize this tour compared to the "it's all about the art, maaaan" view regarding their previous ones.  I think this tour can be every bit as artistic and, yes, entertaining, as their previous ones.  Just like a classical concert, consisting of material 100's of years old, can be a moving experience without playing a single "new song".  I'll judge for myself when I see it.  If them not touring new material is a turnoff--and hey, I get it, not everyone will be into this--fair play.

So are people here saying that if they had announced a 40th anniversary tour of just random, grab-bag hits that it was all over and they were just about money?

I think some are, yes.  I think some are worried that's the case with this tour.  I guess I just find all of the hand-wringing about the motives behind this tour to be a tad overdone.  U2 have been doing stadium shows, and charging some pretty hefty ticket prices, for decades now.  It's not like they HAVEN'T been a giant, corporate, capitalist rock band until now.  Maybe I'm just old enough to accept that this band has been complicated for a long time now.

To me, two facts -- and these are not opinions, these are FACTS -- have separated U2 from the money-grubbers:

1. New material. Before this tour, U2 always, always, always had a new album they were touring behind, and they played those songs extensively until they just weren't working in a live setting or the album wasn't as popular as they had hoped. Compare this to other 'legacy' acts who might play two songs off a new album. People don't buy much music any more, and when they do, they aren't albums by guys in their 50s. They play those songs because they are proud of them, not to move albums. Want proof? How many people did you see leaving your 360 Tour show during MOS? Despite what Bono said, I saw a lot.

2. And this is HUGE people, so please listen up before you get on U2 about being about money: THAT FLOOR. That floor, man. That GA floor, and those $70 GAs. Are you kidding me right now? Do you know what Springsteen charged for GA floors last time out? $175 with fees. DOUBLE what U2 are charging with fees. DOUBLE. Mr. Blue Collar Man Of The People here, not Kiss, OK? DOUBLE. Let that sink in for a second. Now, let's look at the bands who do reserved floors and what they are charging. Hundreds and hundreds of dollars. The Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Tom Petty.

What do you think it would cost to get within water-spitting distance of Mick Jagger? $500? $700?
How about Bono?

Yeah. Cut them some slack, folks.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 03:50:06 PM by Saint1322 »

Offline jgrooms

• Wanderer
  • Hello
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »
I honestly don't get why any of you care "why" they are doing it.  I am happy they are, who gives a rip why.  That is their business, not yours.

If you don't want to see the show, don't go.

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 05:17:27 PM »
I honestly don't get why any of you care "why" they are doing it.  I am happy they are, who gives a rip why.  That is their business, not yours.

I do want to see the show. I was very clear about that, I've bought tickets. I think the show will be good.

I care because I hear the carefully crafted political messages from Edge and to a lesser extent Bono and Adam about their amazing reasons for revisiting the past. And I'm calling BS on them, as people would do on a corporation, a politician or any public figure. Either that or they vote them in.

I used to get tied up in knots about whether it was For love or MoneyTM. Now I accept that this tour is a simple transaction that is about money and a product, I'm more at peace with it.

I think i+e, whilst it made money, obviously was a riskier sell hence the choice to do arenas. U2 are better when they take risks in my opinion. Some prefer the safety of a warm fuzzy album they know and love. That's fine too.

I think accepting the $$$ situation has made everything a bit easier as a fan. When TJT tour was announced I was horrified... future drying up etc. Now I can deal with it. The 12 stages of U2 grief... I'm into stage 11.

Offline pocket full of sunshine

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2017, 05:26:04 PM »
IMHO I totally agree this tour is money driven however I think the driving force behind it is most likely a contractual one. Live nation will no doubt have (amongst many others) clauses stating that U2 must deliver x amount of profit at certain points during the contract. If it was pencilled in for the band to deliver a tour this year and, as we're all discovering, the album isn't ready, the easiest get out of jail card is to do what they are doing by rolling out a guaranteed money spinner.

Waffles

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:43 PM »

I do want to see the show. I was very clear about that, I've bought tickets. I think the show will be good.

I care because I hear the carefully crafted political messages from Edge and to a lesser extent Bono and Adam about their amazing reasons for revisiting the past. And I'm calling BS on them, as people would do on a corporation, a politician or any public figure. Either that or they vote them in.

I used to get tied up in knots about whether it was For love or MoneyTM. Now I accept that this tour is a simple transaction that is about money and a product, I'm more at peace with it.

I think i+e, whilst it made money, obviously was a riskier sell hence the choice to do arenas. U2 are better when they take risks in my opinion. Some prefer the safety of a warm fuzzy album they know and love. That's fine too.

I think accepting the $$$ situation has made everything a bit easier as a fan. When TJT tour was announced I was horrified... future drying up etc. Now I can deal with it. The 12 stages of U2 grief... I'm into stage 11.

I remember bono making remarks during 360 about wanting to do arenas next time for easiness and intimacy.

Offline Moser

• Babyface
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2017, 06:34:20 PM »
As a younger U2 fan, every chance I can see them means the world to me. I'm sure U2 reciprocates. They're a touring band. They have a chance to connect with their fans of old and younger fans like me.

The world is moving perhaps too fast for their creative writing process and they will probably need to tune the new album to fit their response. What better way than to go out there and play music live and perhaps write some new stuff on the road, as they did during their younger years.

At this point in their careers, money must mean very little. They have all they'll ever need. I paid $70 GA for one of the top live acts in the world. I can't complain.

Offline brianrosco

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2017, 07:10:44 PM »
 It's a musical journey...

Hearing Exit live.. Yep take my money..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 07:14:18 PM by brianrosco »

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2017, 07:27:39 PM »
It's a musical journey...

Hearing Exit live.. Yep take my money..

Where you off to knackers?

Offline brianrosco

Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2017, 07:28:28 PM »
London, Dub and Paris

Offline GardenTart

• Elevated
  • Little and little they robbed and stole...
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Briscoe, as usual (but not all the time  ;) ) you've hit the nail on the head. This is indeed all about money.

My first thoughts were: A 30th Anniversary Tour of JT? Why not War or TUF? Why not a 20th Anniversary of POP? Because ALL of the Gen Xers (myself included) have disposable income. ALL of the Gen Xers own JT, and for the vast majority (not including myself), this was the album that introduced them to U2. And Gen Xers aside, every single casual U2 fan (aged 12-82) owns JT.

My second thought was: The SOI tour opened almost 24 months almost to the date, in the same city as this new tour. U2 used to tour every 4-5 years.......No new album (again, I'm not expecting one for another 2-3 years), no crazy artistic stage show, just an "anniversary tour".

My third thought was: new manager = new business ideas=new ways to make more money.

Frankly I'm not impressed; those of you who know me and my cynical views on casual fans, know that I dislike going to concerts because I have to deal with casual fans ("What side of the stage does The Edge usually stand on?"  >:( >:( >:() . I'm also not impressed because I hadn't budgeted for this - I was planning for a 2019-2020 world tour. Having said all that I am going to Vancouver, I will bear the burden of being hassled by the casual fans, and at the end of the night I will be re-energized and grateful. Plus I'm going with Beli so I get to see her! ;D

Offline xy

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2017, 04:15:54 AM »
I think McSwilly has a point, but I also think this is an effort to get the public excited about the band again. Remind the casual fan why they loved the band in the first place and hope the renewed excitement gets them interested in the new album next year.

This theory keeps coming up. I don't see why casual fans that will come for JT will care about any new(er) songs. I wonder if JT30 means we're getting AB30 as well ?

It has a chance of working. You have casuals who really only know the JT and a few newer songs like beautiful day. U2 announces it has new music and does one or two tracks at every show. Casual fans unaware they still make new music might actually like those one or two new songs and when SOE comes out, they'll say "hey I should buy this, they played it at the concert earlier this year". Next thing you know, those casuals who just bought SOE might like it and say, "this is great, hey I remember this song! I should see u2 when they come back".

Look at all the casuals who just magically joined this forum this past week. They're buying subscriptions because JT is nostalgic and they want to see it again. And they're joining forums like this one too. I have never seen so many new members in just 2 weeks

We don't know yet that they will play any SOE, and if they do, the album ought to be out in a reasonable (read: fast) timeframe after the tour.

For all we know the casuals might leave the show in droves once they play JT ...

Offline riffraff

• Holy Joe
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2017, 04:34:43 AM »
I had to laugh at some of this conversation, because my guy is a casual fan...and, yes, "putting up with the casual fan" can be difficult!

I am also amazed at the number of new forum members...

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:48 AM »

Bingo.  And guess what, anytime a band goes on tour it's "about money". It is a business just like any other. Just a lot more fun.

Offline inztantkarma

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2017, 05:21:15 AM »
Not 100% sold on the argument that it is all about the money. That said, realistically touring has been where the money has been for recording artists for some time now. Without knowing exactly what this production might look like, it might be a bit early to see it just as a cash grab and a sneaky retirement fund top-up.

That is, remember back to ZooTV when they lugged that hugely successful monster all over the globe and yet only broke even thanks to Mullen endorsed t-shirt sales. At least that is the case if you believe the U2 version of history on it (which I don't doubt). Yet that didn't stop them trying to out do that (in scale) with Popmart. And in many ways they haven't really stopped that style of show. My point being, if it was about the money then you would think they would have long ago stripped the tours back to very minimalist stages to reduce the massive overheads and need for multiple stages. Giant mirrorballs and ridiculously large televisions sets that hold 4 Irish lads tend not to count as overhead luggage...

Wouldn't there be more money in either extending this Joshua Tree tour and riding the nostalgic wave rather than have such a short run in America and Europe? And wouldn't it also involve a very minimalist stage (although nobody knows what this will be yet)?

I think they dynamic is interesting though. Between the business side of the U2 empire and the creative side. And they have probably been waging war on each other for decades on that front. No doubt at all, and self confessed, that the band have strong business acumen and would have no doubt endless meetings about the business side of the U2 world. I just can't see them going so far as to only tour for the money, or for some vague alleged promise to Livenation contractually. I still think a large part of each of them would need to be creatively fired up to start the U2 beast up again and get out there. Otherwise I suspect they would be long retired with Larry tending to olive farms in the South of France whilst contemplating better burial sites for Elvis, Adam polishing his spoon collection whilst running a bohemian art gallery and listening to Radiohead, Edge teaching a Physics Mechanics and Special Relativity class at Harvard whilst releasing a range of guitar effects nobody else can play and Bono marching on Washington with a dolphin tucked under his arm whilst sporting an impressive hipster beard.   

So far only the occasional Bono facial hair hints at any of that..
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:24:22 AM by inztantkarma »

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2017, 09:05:01 AM »
I'm also just curious: yes, this is U2's first tour not supporting a new album.  But the thing is, I've been blown away by other acts touring without new music to promote: Paul McCartney and Kraftwerk, to name two.  Bob Dylan continues to tour (for better or worse) almost regardless of new albums.  Do people feel like ANY act not supporting new music is just "doing it for the money"?  Or do they see these performances as potentially every bit as entertaining as artists with new music?  Or are U2--rightly or wrongly--being held to a different standard?

Even with U2's own shows, in particular 360: the moments that blew me away weren't the ones they were playing current music, it was when they were playing songs that were decades old.  I can safely say I'm more excited by the prospect of this show than I was as I was buying tickets for 360.