Author Topic: Let's just accept this is about money...  (Read 4600 times)

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
Re: Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2017, 09:10:20 AM »
I also think it's primarily about the money. but there are some other aspects to it worth noting:

The last big worldwide announcement went down horribly in many quarters (the SOI/apple arrangement). This tour gives u2 an opportunity to wash the bad taste from the public's mouth. It helps hasten the previous debacle's journey to the trash. It also allows them to make a positive dent on the public consciousness.

this gives u2 more space and time to rebrand their new album and disassociate it (timewise) from their previous album.

It also gives u2 an opportunity to fine tune the new album and maybe introduce new elements to it. maybe even play a couple of new songs.

in the end though, money is primarily the driving factor.   
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 04:10:43 PM by miami »

Offline inztantkarma

• Babyface
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2017, 05:13:35 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Don't really agree with 'if it was a cash grab it would be longer'. That thought is too simple. With TJT they have an amazing opportunity to rake in a lot of money in a short period of time.

Here I was thinking I was the master of being a little bit simple.....

The other factor would be what, if any, impact this tour might have on the SOE tour in these markets long term? Particularly if they do get the record out before the end of the year and if they do kick that off in the States (not guaranteed by any means - but Edge will be molten lava at some point).  I think you could make some solid arguments it could even harm possible future ticket sales in that respect. Given a chunk of the market saw them recently, saw the "hits" and maybe is then less inclined to bother with a SOE tour featuring new material. But then the counter argument will be this is designed to increase the desire to see the band etc through a shorter run of dates...

I guess my position would be that to say this JT tour is "all" about the money is also a little too simple. After the lessons of the ZooTV tour then all tours since have looked to be strategic from a financial perspective. No doubt. Where they tour, when, venue size. And I have no doubt the U2 business model is also painstakingly thought out with a view to maximising interest in them and avoiding over saturation. I have no doubt there is a strategy with the length of time between records and tours. Albeit they may also have now mixed in some creative bouts of constipation there as well. The group has some serious financial acumen gathered over the years.

I just don't think we can suggest a tour might be all about topping up retirement funds, anymore than we can claim all past tours were just about pushing boundaries and no thought was given to making profit off the tours. Creativity and finance do not make for great bed fellows - but they still sleep together.

Offline dougie

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • A Bozo on the bus going nowhere!
« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2017, 05:42:01 PM »
Money helps the ups and downs, differing moods and being a wanderer. I bet the money is more important to some band members than others. And, I am sure the money doesn't hurt when making decisions on their personal future plans.

Since the shows sold out so quickly, they could have charged a bit more. And, by giving fan club members GA tix for under $100, they show a bit of a less greedy side.

Sure, they like the money. But, saying they are doing it solely for money- I don't know. Now, keeping their rock star status and enjoying the lime light- another possible reason to add to the money. Plus, they sure seemed to enjoy themselves in 2014- they like to play great music. Maybe 3 love to play and the other does it for the $ and friends. All I know, I am glad they are touring!

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:13 PM »
It's only a couple of hours work a night every three nights or so.  Don't make it out to be a big deal.  It's money for jam. 

That's not to say performing concerts doesn't elevate them because I'm sure it does but they're only going to do it if they can maximise their profits.  If something worth doing it's worth doing right, right?

Offline zooropamofo

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2017, 09:21:00 PM »
I'm skipping out not because I'm hating.  I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE U2... but the timing is not the best.  I live in Ottawa and it's Canada's 150th birthday... this is the place to enjoy the summer.  I'm holding out for the tour supporting the next album.

BUT- I'm betting that this tour will also serve as a testing ground for some songs of innocence and maybe some songs of experience to see how they work in a stadium setting.  I could be wrong though.

I'm 45 mins from Ottawa, and I'll be spending Canada Day on the stadium floor, GA in Cleveland, watching U2.  To hell with the 150th, I'll pick U2 any time.

Offline Mike_e_boy1

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2017, 10:54:20 AM »
IF this is about the money they may have misjudged things. U2 are just not as popular or "relevant" as they once were. Ok secretly I am really pleased to be able to hear Joshua Tree music again rather than SOE but can the band at least be honest and upfront about it. Oh and those that say tickets are selling out within minutes of going on sale here is a little experiment.
8 hours after the general sale and tickets have been declared as "sold out" a first attempt on ticket master (on a dodgy mobile phone internet connection) and lo... two tickets for mid stadium mid tier tickets for second night in London, an okish view but nothing special ... all for just 187 each.. plus the full booking fee which means you will have spent nearly $500 for the privilege of craning your neck and squinting your eyes for two hours. Following is from ticketmaster eight hours after "sold out" announced and these are NOT premier seats or packages.
"Full Price - 187.00 each. *All prices exclude a per transaction delivery fee, which will be added to the total amount due.
Sec M8   Row 52, Seats 206-207    187.00 ea"

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
i realise the money is in live music nowadays and i also realise u2 aren't the worst offenders but 200 for a seat in a stadium for a 2 odd hour gig is an absolute complete and utter rip off in my book...

it really is quite disgusting....but people will pay it many happily and as long as they do - artists will keep charging that and more

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2017, 12:13:11 PM »
i realise the money is in live music nowadays and i also realise u2 aren't the worst offenders but 200 for a seat in a stadium for a 2 odd hour gig is an absolute complete and utter rip off in my book...

it really is quite disgusting....but people will pay it many happily and as long as they do - artists will keep charging that and more
Yup, I'd pay it, if I could! But, I'm just a sap...it is TERRIBLE to charge so much.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2017, 01:45:08 PM »

Compared to what though? It is just the world we live in. Tickets are expensive for everything, from movies to shows to theater to sports. And airfare? Hotels? There's no point in picking out one thing in particular and going bonkers about it. To me, the key sentence in your post was 'U2 aren't the worst offenders'. And they aren't. That's all they can do; be among the better ones out there.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2017, 03:14:35 PM »

Compared to what though? It is just the world we live in. Tickets are expensive for everything, from movies to shows to theater to sports. And airfare? Hotels? There's no point in picking out one thing in particular and going bonkers about it. To me, the key sentence in your post was 'U2 aren't the worst offenders'. And they aren't. That's all they can do; be among the better ones out there.

200 for a 2 odd hour pop concert is in my view way over priced - does not need to be compared to anything else, just for what it is....

Let's say you take a partner and between you you are coughing up 400 to sit in a stadium and watch a band play about 25 songs....that for me is just obscene.

But as I say to others it is fine.

Offline shorne

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Two crap albums in a row and we're done...
« Reply #70 on: February 01, 2017, 05:46:08 AM »
I think it's a gift to the fans and a (good) excuse to get out and get some music mojo off of touring.  Great things sometimes happen after a tour.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
It's like anything else.  25 years ago, it would have been unthinkable to spend over $100 on dinner.  Now, I can afford stuff, and don't usually have to worry about the bill.  There's no absolute line of what is acceptable to pay for a concert, versus unacceptable or "obscene".  The dinner comparison is apt: going to a U2 show now is about as expensive as a couple of fancy dinners.  Put in that context, it doesn't seem all that unusual, or even unwarranted.  I can do fancy dinners any time I want, but can only see U2 about once every 4 years these days.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2017, 11:36:48 AM »
It's like anything else.  25 years ago, it would have been unthinkable to spend over $100 on dinner.  Now, I can afford stuff, and don't usually have to worry about the bill.  There's no absolute line of what is acceptable to pay for a concert, versus unacceptable or "obscene".  The dinner comparison is apt: going to a U2 show now is about as expensive as a couple of fancy dinners.  Put in that context, it doesn't seem all that unusual, or even unwarranted.  I can do fancy dinners any time I want, but can only see U2 about once every 4 years these days.

People have a choice about setting a line about whether they think a price is acceptable or not.

One person will happily pay 180 to see a show another will say no, that is too much.

Individual choice/opinion.

Personally I find the idea of paying 180 to see a 2hr pop concert for example totally unacceptable for me - I can afford it easily, but I simply won't pay it because I don't consider it worth it.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »
Fair enough.  I just think the "worth" isn't fixed--it's relative to income, and comparable to other ways to spend money.  Inflation, etc.  The cost of Zoo TV tickets might have been about the same worth to me then as their current tickets are to me now, even though the price is wildly different.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2017, 12:23:56 PM »
Fair enough.  I just think the "worth" isn't fixed--it's relative to income, and comparable to other ways to spend money.  Inflation, etc.  The cost of Zoo TV tickets might have been about the same worth to me then as their current tickets are to me now, even though the price is wildly different.

Bottom-line, wages haven't kept up with the price of anything, concert tickets included.