Author Topic: Let's just accept this is about money...  (Read 3707 times)

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
Re: Let's just accept this is about money...
« Reply #75 on: February 01, 2017, 12:52:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fair enough.  I just think the "worth" isn't fixed--it's relative to income, and comparable to other ways to spend money.  Inflation, etc.  The cost of Zoo TV tickets might have been about the same worth to me then as their current tickets are to me now, even though the price is wildly different.

Bottom-line, wages haven't kept up with the price of anything, concert tickets included.

That may be true.  I'm not sure how much ticket prices have outpaced inflation, but lord knows they have.

I just know that how much I made as a 17-year-old still in high school, working part time, is a bit different than what I make as a 42-year-old.

I also know that if I insisted on only seeing bands who cost the equivalent of U2 in 1992, I'd have to start digging into lesser-known acts.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #76 on: February 01, 2017, 01:03:29 PM »
Fair enough.  I just think the "worth" isn't fixed--it's relative to income, and comparable to other ways to spend money.  Inflation, etc.  The cost of Zoo TV tickets might have been about the same worth to me then as their current tickets are to me now, even though the price is wildly different.

Worth isn't fixed i agree, it is down to personal opinion - but i do not agree it is relative to income.....I earn more money now than I ever have but regardless there is no way i will pay 180 to watch a 2hr gig - it is to me not worth it.

Same as I draw a line about football tickets or other things at a certain price.

It is a choice we all can make - to pay or not.

There is no right or wrong only what an individual believes is right for them.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #77 on: February 01, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »

Bottom-line, wages haven't kept up with the price of anything, concert tickets included.

That may be true.  I'm not sure how much ticket prices have outpaced inflation, but lord knows they have.

I just know that how much I made as a 17-year-old still in high school, working part time, is a bit different than what I make as a 42-year-old.

I also know that if I insisted on only seeing bands who cost the equivalent of U2 in 1992, I'd have to start digging into lesser-known acts.

You could have bought a Super Bowl ticket at face value in 1992 for the price of U2 in 2017.

We were talking ticket prices on another site, and the folks there reckoned that The Eagles were the first band to REALLY push the boundaries on prices when they reunited in 1994 and charged $100 for the best seats. Then The Stones said 'Oh no you don't!' and it was off to the races from there.

I've got a ticket stub from an Alabama football game from 1989. $18. That was an $85 ticket last year.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #78 on: February 01, 2017, 01:41:40 PM »

You could have bought a Super Bowl ticket at face value in 1992 for the price of U2 in 2017.

We were talking ticket prices on another site, and the folks there reckoned that The Eagles were the first band to REALLY push the boundaries on prices when they reunited in 1994 and charged $100 for the best seats. Then The Stones said 'Oh no you don't!' and it was off to the races from there.

I've got a ticket stub from an Alabama football game from 1989. $18. That was an $85 ticket last year.

Yeah, the Eagles did push the boundary.  Though it's a slippery slope.  I figure the Rolling Stones were a premium priced act in the 80's, along with other classic rock acts, and the Eagles just took things another step.

It's hard for me to say when, exactly, a band is charging "too much".  They have every right to charge what the want if the people are willing to pay.  You mention sporting events--I find THOSE to be absurdly over-priced, as you can see them every year (instead of once every four years), you have TV coverage, and it's often inconsequential.  But as we all agree--we pay what we're willing to pay for different things.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #79 on: February 01, 2017, 03:20:35 PM »

Yeah, the Eagles did push the boundary.  Though it's a slippery slope.  I figure the Rolling Stones were a premium priced act in the 80's, along with other classic rock acts, and the Eagles just took things another step.

It's hard for me to say when, exactly, a band is charging "too much".  They have every right to charge what the want if the people are willing to pay.  You mention sporting events--I find THOSE to be absurdly over-priced, as you can see them every year (instead of once every four years), you have TV coverage, and it's often inconsequential.  But as we all agree--we pay what we're willing to pay for different things.

I'd take what every band is charging, from the top acts like U2, the Stones, Bruce, Fleetwood Mac, etc., all the way down to good smaller bands like The National and cut the ticket prices by 25 to 30 percent across the board. I think that would be a good start to being more reasonable. There would be exceptions of course, and it is duly noted that U2 is underwriting the cost of the GA and uppers with the best of the lower bowl, but for an artist like Bruce who is up to like $175 for the whole house? That should be a $125 ticket AT MOST.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #80 on: February 01, 2017, 03:30:29 PM »

I'd take what every band is charging, from the top acts like U2, the Stones, Bruce, Fleetwood Mac, etc., all the way down to good smaller bands like The National and cut the ticket prices by 25 to 30 percent across the board. I think that would be a good start to being more reasonable. There would be exceptions of course, and it is duly noted that U2 is underwriting the cost of the GA and uppers with the best of the lower bowl, but for an artist like Bruce who is up to like $175 for the whole house? That should be a $125 ticket AT MOST.

I hear you, but who's to say?  I mean, I could wish everyone charged half of their current costs, but the fact that people are already paying the current price, and still more are buying VIP tickets or more expensive scalped tickets, shows the demand is obviously there.  Like it or not, the supply/demand theory of economics doesn't do any favors to fans of uber-popular bands like U2.  The very fact there are so many of us who love the band is exactly why the tickets cost what they do.  Even moreso when you consider that recorded music sales have dropped precipitously in the past years, so profits from touring are even more essential.

I hate defending their prices, but I think most of us in their position would wind up doing the exact same thing.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 03:40:26 PM by Johnny Feathers »

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2017, 02:47:08 PM »

I hear you, but who's to say?  I mean, I could wish everyone charged half of their current costs, but the fact that people are already paying the current price, and still more are buying VIP tickets or more expensive scalped tickets, shows the demand is obviously there.  Like it or not, the supply/demand theory of economics doesn't do any favors to fans of uber-popular bands like U2.  The very fact there are so many of us who love the band is exactly why the tickets cost what they do.  Even moreso when you consider that recorded music sales have dropped precipitously in the past years, so profits from touring are even more essential.

I hate defending their prices, but I think most of us in their position would wind up doing the exact same thing.

It's also a way for the band and promoter to make money and not completely "screw" everyone. The VIP tickets or as they've been called on previous tours, the "gold circle" seating (and I'm not saying this applies to anyone that buys one of these tickets, but I'm sure we've all seen it the last few tours) are for the well off and either casual or nonfan that just wants to be there because it's an "event". I'm beyond happy and excited that a band this big is still charging under $100 for a floor ticket. Yes, it's more than it's been the last tour, and before that, etc. but that happens with any act. No longer are you going to a large scale tour for a huge headliner for $50 or under and being close. But to keep the cost of the normal field down or the cheaper seats, the promoter especially, is going to make up for that elsewhere. It's the same reason a real tshirt from a band now costs anywhere from $30-50, that's how they're making money. So yes, in essence, as I've said before, anytime anyone tours it's "about the money".

Offline InTheSlipStream

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2017, 07:49:34 AM »
When I am at a u2 show - and I've seen six over the years - I never ever once question how much I paid because I could never name another place for any price I'd rather be. We all talk about living in the now but it's one of the few times all the crap in life melts away and I really feel present. The memories / man I don't even know what I had for lunch two days ago but so many vivid , palpable , take it to the grave memories of their shows. Some of my friends gripe about costs well tell me - name one thing you could do that night of the show instead that's going to stay with you like that . I paid $350 a pop to see R.E.M. in college (1987) and man - ESP now that they crumbled and dissolved it was worth it - every penny . Anyway everyone has a right to their opinion but at some point analysis destroys wholes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You make a great point. And analysis is useless, since no one can know what and how the members of U2 think.   U2 are one of the few bands that spend a crap load of money to make a revolutionary stage set for their fans...they continue to be creative in live shows.  I don't know of any other bands that put so much thought, creativity AND money into forging new ways to make a rock show.   I believe you get your money's worth in the ticket prices, and I have on occasion paid scalper prices to go, but I never regretted it.

U2 really don't need the money, and I believe they are true artists, no different than a successful painter or film maker.  Why would a rich film maker make another movie?  Would you criticize him or her for trying to make another movie...some flop, some may be great works of art. 

Retirement, old age, etc are all artificially constructed by us keeping track of time...there are many very successful CEOs who work well into their 70s, 80s and love what they do.  Rock n roll is relatively young as an art form, who is to say what and when anyone should give up and stop because they are no longer relevant. 

Listen to the Podcast, Off Camera with Sam Jones, episode 62.  He interviews The Edge and you get a clear sense of who these 4 guys are and why they still fight to make great albums and music, when really, they do not need to, they want to.  And for anyone to question "why" they do what they do is purely speculation.  No one can go into the head of anyone else and know what they think.   

And all the talk about set lists and 'greatest hits' tours is crap.  I&E was new and innovative...and what all of us LOVE about going to see U2 live is the 'oneness' of the crowd, the fans, singing together and feeling the love...even the not so hard core fans get swept up in that moment and feel something they don't get at many other concerts...and for that reason it's important they play song most people love and know, or else that energy isn't quite the same.  I would love to hear some more rare songs, for sure, but I've never left disappointed from a U2 concert and I've seen about 20 shows since 1987.  I personally would rather see U2 in a huge venue than in a small club, specifically for that reason. 

I hope the JT tour will reintroduce some former casual fans into seeing how great U2 still is, live, and musically. 

If you haven't listened to it yet, check out the interview with Edge, it's really quite telling of what U2 are about.   I believe you can be a true artist and still make lots of money...there's no crime to that.  Money isn't evil and does not take away from art.  It may in some cases, but I do believe that money and art can exist together.   

Check Episode 62:

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2017, 11:20:11 AM »
So I just saw something that said Bono is worth 700 million, so I don't really think he does anything for the money.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2017, 11:35:10 AM »
So I just saw something that said Bono is worth 700 million, so I don't really think he does anything for the money.

Yep. This is chump change.

Online riffraff

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #85 on: February 14, 2017, 11:40:11 AM »
I do not regret one penny of the monies I spent on the SOI shows. There were two shows here, and I went to both...and I took my guy with me to one of them. Worth every single penny. And then some. I have to skip TJT 2017, much to my regret, but if I COULD go, it would still be worth every penny. And, when SOE finally gets here, I'll not regret spending my money on that. The value of money is what you make of it, and what you get from it. If I get U2 for my money, then my money is well spent.

Offline Ultrafly

• Babyface
« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:43 AM »
U2 have a collective worth of well over a billion.

You can't make them do anything for money if they don't want to.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2017, 12:03:33 PM »
Livenation have them tied to a contract that they gave them a lot of money for signing...Livenation can almost certainly very much so make u2 do things for money - money they have given them in return for a certain amount of revenue generating events/releases......

Offline JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:17 PM »

Yep. This is chump change.
it's not hard for me to see, they love this life and want to do it

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #89 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »
I'm sorry but for my money if you honestly think u2 sat around and thought to themselves 'hey i know what we'll do this summer, we'll play 20 (or whatever it is) shows in stadiums in The US and Europe where we play TJT in full just for the hell of it/because it is the 30th anniversary of it'...then you are very naive...

These shows have in my view been absolutely born out of Livenation flexing their muscles about the contract they have u2 tied to and the money involved...they aren't a 'gift to the fans' 'a celabration if the record' 'a revisiting because the songs messages are 'relevant' again' or any other of the tags that have been thrown around.

It is big business and there is nothing wrong with that - but let's not pretend it isn't just that... big business.

It will also have clicked that there is a chance to get some casual fans back on board the bus, win back some people who left the bus a while back or hardly knew u2 were still a thing - and hopefully have some of them stick around for new stuff a little further down the line..

That isn't to say u2 won't or can't make the shows great/heartfelt etc etc. but i absolutely stand by what I say about the underlying reason these shows are happening and if U2 weren't pushed by Livenation these shows wouldn't be happening.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:44:26 PM by an tha »