Author Topic: Joshua Tree Tour 2017 setlist prediction/wishlist  (Read 8556 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: Joshua Tree Tour 2017 setlist prediction/wishlist
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2017, 08:19:53 PM »
It'll never happen, and doesn't need to, but I'd love to hear Disappearing Act.

Offline ToRontoRon

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 10:58:21 AM »
I'll do a whole song by song setlist here...

First off, I think they should take the stage to Luminous Times, (Hold on to Love).  It's just rare enough so that the casual fans will here it as something pretty new and special, and the more seasoned fans will love to here this amazing b-Side, and it's fitting because it's a Joshua Tree era b-side.  Tell me you wouldn't get excited hearing the opening of that, knowing the band are about to take the stage.  Also, thematically, the lyrics "Hold on to love", is kind of what we're all doing by holding on to the love of this amazing album.

Then you start with older hits...  (Sort of)
1.  I Will Follow - We're looking at their past with this tour, so why not go with Album 1, Track 1 to kick off the show?
2.  Cedarwood Road - I would imagine they'll still want to do some newer stuff.  To me, Songs Of Innocence qualifies as being new, but kind of fitting in with the older hits section because the album itself is looking to the past.  Bottom line, I think that they'll want to play some stuff from their latest album, and it fits better at the start than at the end, imo.
3.  The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)
4.  Sunday Bloody Sunday
5.  Raised By Wolves
6.  Bad

Then on to The Joshua Tree, using the Elevation tour segue of Bad into Streets, maybe even with that 40 snippet in there if it's not played at the end of the show.

7.  Where The Streets Have No Name
8.  I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
9.  With Or Without You
10.  Bullet The Blue Sky - Spewing off at Trump time.
11.  Running To Stand Still
12.  Red Hill Mining Town - I can't wait to here those opening notes at the Toronto show I'm going to.  I will lose my sh**.
13.  In God's Country
14.  Trip Through Your Wires
15.  One Tree Hill
16.  Exit
17.  Mothers Of The Disappeared

The end of the first act, the band leaves the stage.

Then the first encore, with newer stuff...

18.  The first single from Songs Of Experience - I think this is going to happen at some point in the show.  Imagine the first encore starting with something completely fresh that even the diehards don't know.  Thematically, you're sort of ending the look at the past with the end of The Joshua Tree album, and now you're looking to the future with the new song as the very next song after the break.
19.  City Of Blinding Lights
20.  Every Breaking Wave
21.  Beautiful Day

Then a very brief break, and the second encore...

22.  Vertigo
23.  Pride (In The Name Of Love) - I know this is an older song and therefore should have been in the first section, but without Streets at the end you need one of the big anthemic monster hits at the end of the show.
24.  One

And if 40 isn't snippeted earlier, close out with that as song #25.

Whatever they end up doing, I can't wait!!!

Offline OnlyU2

• Holy Joe
  • Who's to say what it is will break you
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2017, 06:18:01 PM »
01 - Where the Streets Have No Name
02 - I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
03 - With or Without You
04 - Bullet the Blue Sky
05 - Running to Stand Still
06 - Red Hill Mining Town
07 - In God's Country
08 - Trip Through Your Wires
09 - One Tree Hill
10 - Exit
11 - Mothers of the Disappeared

Bonus Tracks

12 - Luminous Times (Hold on to Love)
13 - Rise Up
13 - Walk to the Water
14 - Drunk Chicken-America
15 - Spanish Eyes
16 - Deep in the Heart
17 - Silver and Gold
18 - Sweetest Thing
19 - Race Against Time
20 - Silver and Gold
21 - Beautiful Ghost
22 - Wave of Sorrow (Birdland)
23 - Desert of Our Love

Offline Honky Tonk Angel

• Babyface
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 11:55:59 AM »
Myself and a friend were having a chat about what they might do and we were kind of thinking it would be cool if they played some of the B sides to the Joshua Tree Singles, and maybe some from Rattle and Hum too? I'd of loved to hear things like All Along The Watchtower and Hawkmoon in the way they were done in Lovetown. Awesome!

I too would love to hear  Sort of Homecoming. That song has so many memories for me. And Seconds.
But one of my all time favorite songs in the version of Silver and Gold that was the B side of Streets. It has that cool U2 sound I fell in love with and every time I hear the end of it it brings back these feelings of getting into U2's music.
So I'd kinda like to hear that one too.

But like the previous poster, I'm just happy to see them live again and looking forward very much to this

Offline boom boom

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2017, 01:43:27 PM »
I agree with the original poster.  U2 without a doubt will play it safe right down to a tee with no deep cuts or b-sides.  The only deep cuts  you can expect are the ones of the JT itself (side 2, and RTSS) and that will be it, so just enjoy them.

Sorry to be a downer, but I learned my lesson over the years always hoping U2 would mix it up more, but it never happens and never will.  It is just who they are.

They may have every intention of doing so, but when it comes down to crunch time they get cold feet.  Remember the whole 2 nights, 2 different shows fiasco.  I do, got burnt big time with that lie.  Just hope they follow through on playing the whole JT album for all shows and not start dropping some off if they feel crowd not into it.

Expect an onslaught of the U2 big guns throughout the night, whether it will be before, after or mixed in with JT depending on how they decide to play it.
So expect the usual suspects like -SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, Desire, Angel of Harlem, AIWIY, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Elevation, COBL, Vertigo etc.
They will play the usual I Will Follow, Out of Control and Maybe Electric Co. thinking it will satisfy the hardcores.

Believe me there will be ZERO chance of them cranking out songs like Surrender, Drowning Man, A Sort of Homecoming or any other deep cut.  It has the same amount of chance of happening as the 2 different nights on the I&E tour.

As much as this sounds negative, believe me I still pumped up for Toronto, just to hear finally again songs of side 2 of JT (assuming they keeping it in the setlist by the time they come here).

Offline UnknownCaller98

• Numb
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I agree with the original poster.  U2 without a doubt will play it safe right down to a tee with no deep cuts or b-sides.  The only deep cuts  you can expect are the ones of the JT itself (side 2, and RTSS) and that will be it, so just enjoy them.

Sorry to be a downer, but I learned my lesson over the years always hoping U2 would mix it up more, but it never happens and never will.  It is just who they are.

They may have every intention of doing so, but when it comes down to crunch time they get cold feet.  Remember the whole 2 nights, 2 different shows fiasco.  I do, got burnt big time with that lie.  Just hope they follow through on playing the whole JT album for all shows and not start dropping some off if they feel crowd not into it.

Expect an onslaught of the U2 big guns throughout the night, whether it will be before, after or mixed in with JT depending on how they decide to play it.
So expect the usual suspects like -SBS, NYD, Pride, Bad, Desire, Angel of Harlem, AIWIY, One, Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day, Elevation, COBL, Vertigo etc.
They will play the usual I Will Follow, Out of Control and Maybe Electric Co. thinking it will satisfy the hardcores.

Believe me there will be ZERO chance of them cranking out songs like Surrender, Drowning Man, A Sort of Homecoming or any other deep cut.  It has the same amount of chance of happening as the 2 different nights on the I&E tour.

As much as this sounds negative, believe me I still pumped up for Toronto, just to hear finally again songs of side 2 of JT (assuming they keeping it in the setlist by the time they come here).
That's a bit harsh. On the last 2 tours they have played some very rare songs that no one thought they would play, including Two Hearts, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, October, Ultraviolet etc. I think we can expect at least a couple of deep cuts to surface.

Offline Ultrafly

• Stateless
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 11:58:00 AM »
There will be some deep cuts and probably an unexpected song or two - every tour since PopMart they've done something unexpected : it's not beyond reason they'll do She's A Mystery To Me, or Slow Dancing, or Silver & Gold, again.

Offline trevgreg

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 12:04:56 PM »
They may have every intention of doing so, but when it comes down to crunch time they get cold feet.  Remember the whole 2 nights, 2 different shows fiasco.  I do, got burnt big time with that lie.

As you've mentioned this a time or ten before...

On the first night of Vancouver, you got to hear The Troubles and Out of Control, which weren't exactly mainstays on the tour.

On the second night of Vancouver, you got to hear California, Miracle Drug, Bad, Angel of Harlem... and freaking When Love Comes to Town.

And you still got "burned" just because they didn't play an extra 7-10 different songs on night two? Dude, I wouldn't have minded hearing those songs on two of the three nights I went! And those weren't the only ones they switched either. Okay, they changed their mind and didn't think it could be pulled off. But you still went to the right shows if you wanted to get something close to that sort of thing... and still managed to enjoy yourself (in your own words). Seeing one of your favorite bands twice and getting more than a handful of different songs every night? Can't really see what the problem is there.

That's a bit harsh. On the last 2 tours they have played some very rare songs that no one thought they would play, including Two Hearts, Unforgettable Fire, Zooropa, October, Ultraviolet etc. I think we can expect at least a couple of deep cuts to surface.

Right, but then for people that have to see what they play every night, it gets old even though they don't go to every show or watch every performance on YouTube. You know, where the hipster street cred/"but Springsteen..."/"but Pearl Jam..." thing comes in. ;)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 12:07:43 PM by trevgreg »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2017, 12:29:40 PM »
Rather than hoping warhorses are dropped during this tour, I am hoping that after playing all of TJT and hits because of the stadium setting, they feel free to drop some warhorses on I+E, when the arena setting will allow them more freedom. Next year would be a PERFECT time to cut TJT down to just Streets and free up a few other slots for some obscure stuff.

Offline jonnydeaf

• Stateless
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2017, 04:25:16 PM »
Adam tweeted a set list on the 14th:

There's a first segment that's unreadable, followed the The Joshua Tree in track order, and an encore of Even Better Than the Real Thing/Mysterious Ways/One (possibly Bad, it's definitely three letters).

Offline U21978man

• Babyface
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2017, 11:47:03 AM »
Based on this "possible working setlist" (could still be a hoax) this works for me. The
"//" represents for cities with multiple nights rotation.

11 O clock tic toc
I Will Follow//Out Of Control
Gloria
October-NYD
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Please
(break)
The JT set
(break)
City Of Blinding Lights//Vertigo
MLK/Bad
All I Want Is You
One//40

Offline CDarwin

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2017, 12:46:45 PM »
I'd like to see a song slipped in to commemorate the POP album (20th anniversary) this tour. How would that work you ask? Well, how about PLEASE as the lead-in to WTSHNN? It worked to perfection back on the POPMART tour. Not to mention, the casual JT fans have probably never heard it -- so it would be great for them too.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 02:26:07 PM by CDarwin »

Offline Number1U2fan

• Party Girl/Boy
  • "we're one..but we're not the same..."
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 11:23:09 AM »
Based on this "possible working setlist" (could still be a hoax) this works for me. The

11 O clock tic toc
Gloria
October-NYD
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Please
(break)
The JT set
(break)
MLK/Bad
All I Want Is You
One//40

WTF???!!! This was my exact quote in either this post or another I don't remember. Did you just copy and paste?? ha!

Offline kevincfcu2

• Babyface
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 10:10:50 AM »

11 O clock tic toc
Gloria
October-NYD
Sunday Bloody Sunday
A Sort Of Homecoming
The Unforgettable Fire
Please
(break)
The JT set
(break)
MLK/Bad
All I Want Is You
One//40

WTF???!!! This was my exact quote in either this post or another I don't remember. Did you just copy and paste?? ha!

That would be an immense set list!!!!

Offline edgeoftheheart

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 02:21:38 PM »
I'm dreaming out loud here (I think they will play more SoI, some SoE, and probably less Rattle & Hum, but hey ho!). I think it will be full to the brim with 'warhorses' as I see one of the main purposes of this tour being to 'reconnect' with some older fans to generate renewed interest for the new album.......So, here goes! Lol, this is fun :-D .....

Intro - Beautiful Ghost/Songs of Experience

SET 1

1. Out of Control
2. Gloria
3. Sunday Bloody Sunday
4. New Year’s Day
5. Pride
6. Bad.................
7. Where The Streets Have No Name
8. I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For
9. With or Without You
10. Bullet The Blue Sky
11. Running To Stand Still
12. Red Hill Mining Town
13. In God’s Country
14. Trip Through Your Wires
15. One Tree Hill
16. Exit
17. Mothers of the Disappeared

Encore 1 (Intro – Drunk Chicken/America) {Trump Video}
18. Desire (Hollywood Remix) {Trump Video}
19. God Part II
20. Angel of Harlem
21. All I Want Is You

Encore 2 (Chopping Down The Tree)
22. Zoo Station
23. An absolute belting, classic, epic rock track off Songs of Experience  :lol:
24. Vertigo
25. Beautiful Day
26. 40