Author Topic: Joshua Tree Tour 2017 setlist prediction/wishlist  (Read 4638 times)

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
Re: Joshua Tree Tour 2017 setlist prediction/wishlist
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2017, 01:51:43 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The thing is half of the JT is considered deep cut/rare. A lot of people are forgetting that

No kidding.

I hardly call them playing a song that sold 25,000,000 copies - and is in the top 50 selling records of all time - a "deep cut" by any stretch.

Offline trevgreg

• Numb
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2017, 02:54:31 PM »
Songs that are never played live or non-singles tend to qualify as a "deep cut" or "rarity", imo.

If we're just counting album tracks on albums that didn't sell a million copies or b-sides/unreleased stuff, that's almost like splitting hairs. The point is that these are songs that are almost never played at any shows during the past 30 years.

Offline tj1968

• Party Girl/Boy
  • She's gonna turn your head around...
« Reply #47 on: March 23, 2017, 10:36:00 AM »
Listening to the recent questions to U2 at Electric Ladyland, they were asked which songs they wished had made it to The Joshua Tree. Bono said Pride and The Edge said Heartland...

Offline monopoly

• Stateless
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
The thing is half of the JT is considered deep cut/rare. A lot of people are forgetting that

No kidding.

I hardly call them playing a song that sold 25,000,000 copies - and is in the top 50 selling records of all time - a "deep cut" by any stretch.

But they are. Most casuals aren't going to know the words to those songs. Achtung baby sold a lot of copies. Does that mean acrobat and love is blindness are big hits?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:36:10 PM by monopoly »

Offline Ultrafly

• Wanderer
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »
No one's going to know the words to In God's Country? or Exit?

I know at least ONE person who will know the words.

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2017, 07:29:08 AM »
omg. I'm working out to Rattle and Hum. Except I can't get past Hawkmoon. I've sprinted through 5 Hawkmoon's now...can't do anymore. I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY MIGHT DO THIS ON TJT 2017 AND I WON'T BE THERE. and RHMT. and Luminous Times.
ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
okay, I'll stop now. Thanks for listening. :-[

Offline redapple129

• Babyface
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 09:05:31 PM »
Assuming that the setlist in Adam's photo is legit, and abandoning all other attempts to match what will actually happen:

Discotheque
The Crystal Ballroom
11 O'Clock Tick Tock
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Raised By Wolves
UTEOTW
New Year's Day
God Part II
Please
TJT
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
One

They try hosting a dance party to plaster over the horrors of the day, only to fall into the darkness and call for redemption - in the form of Streets and TJT. (Yes, I'm recycling a sequence from I+E, it's a powerful trio that still works.) Then an attempt at an actual feel-good dance party.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 10:06:52 PM »

No kidding.

But they are. Most casuals aren't going to know the words to those songs. Achtung baby sold a lot of copies. Does that mean acrobat and love is blindness are big hits?
It'll certainly be interesting to see! Many will attend simply because it is U2 (in my group of almost 10, most are just fans who've never had the chance to see them; only one really knows JT past the first 4 songs); many will attend because of its being an anniversary tour (perusing the comments on news articles when the tour was first announced, most were fairweather fans, saying that that were going specifically BECAUSE they'd be playing JT in whole); and, many will simply be attending either because their friends are all going (one of my friends in my group fits this mold), or because, in the days leading up to the show, one of their friends will wind up w a spare ticket. The latter happened w a good friend on the 360 tour: my roommate of that time had twister her ankle, and decided that all of the walking (including climbing the stairs to our nosebleed seats) wouldn't be good for her injury, thus freeing up her ticket. My good friend Matt was a bit more than a "fairweather fan", but certainly not dedicated to just jump on tickets otherwise. As soon as my ticket became available, though, he jumped at the opportunity. Long story short, he became a diehard fan because of that show.

All of that aside, I think that it'll largely boil down to U2's performance. I watched the live in Paris video that U2 released w their JT 20th anniversary, and the crowd was super into deep-cuts like Trip Through Your Wires and Exit. To be fair, it was a new release then.

I don't know about now, but I do remember iTunes offering JT for $5 after the tour was announced; I assume that Amazon did something similar. With that said, hopefully album sales have picked up such where songs 6-11 will be more recognized!

Offline monopoly

• Stateless
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2017, 02:35:44 PM »

No kidding.

It'll certainly be interesting to see! Many will attend simply because it is U2 (in my group of almost 10, most are just fans who've never had the chance to see them; only one really knows JT past the first 4 songs); many will attend because of its being an anniversary tour (perusing the comments on news articles when the tour was first announced, most were fairweather fans, saying that that were going specifically BECAUSE they'd be playing JT in whole); and, many will simply be attending either because their friends are all going (one of my friends in my group fits this mold), or because, in the days leading up to the show, one of their friends will wind up w a spare ticket. The latter happened w a good friend on the 360 tour: my roommate of that time had twister her ankle, and decided that all of the walking (including climbing the stairs to our nosebleed seats) wouldn't be good for her injury, thus freeing up her ticket. My good friend Matt was a bit more than a "fairweather fan", but certainly not dedicated to just jump on tickets otherwise. As soon as my ticket became available, though, he jumped at the opportunity. Long story short, he became a diehard fan because of that show.

All of that aside, I think that it'll largely boil down to U2's performance. I watched the live in Paris video that U2 released w their JT 20th anniversary, and the crowd was super into deep-cuts like Trip Through Your Wires and Exit. To be fair, it was a new release then.

I don't know about now, but I do remember iTunes offering JT for $5 after the tour was announced; I assume that Amazon did something similar. With that said, hopefully album sales have picked up such where songs 6-11 will be more recognized!

I'm sure many people will be listening to it on the way to the concert. But if you asked a casual fan if they knew all the lyrics to exit or if they were familiar with mothers of the disappeared, I don't think they would know what you're talking about. They might recognize the tune to a certain extent, but it's not like these are regular songs that grab people the way beautiful day or even better than the real thing does. That's what makes them deep cut. That's what makes acrobat deep cut.

Offline trevgreg

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 08:30:23 PM »
But if you asked a casual fan if they knew all the lyrics to exit or if they were familiar with mothers of the disappeared, I don't think they would know what you're talking about.

Heck, there's songs off of a few albums where I literally can't sing a single lyric or know how it goes... and I post here!

Offline bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 04:22:51 PM »
Casual fans for any act turn up expecting to hear one or two particular songs they like and then just suck up the atmosphere and enjoy themselves.

U2 could play a hit every other song and keep the most casual of casual fans happy..
Split it 50/50. But I agree with what people are saying about JT. There are basically 3 hits on that album, the rest are forgotten gems to people that listened to u2 30 years ago and not much since.

Online riffraff

• Acrobat
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 05:24:20 AM »
I worked out to TJT yesterday...it is STILL a wonderful piece of work. Streets, of course, has always been my favorite song (although the album is my 2nd favorite)...this song simply humbles me. RHMT is unbeatable, for passion and desperation. One of my favorite parts on this album, though, is near the end of One Tree Hill...Edge's guitar work...excellent stuff. TTYW is sexy and fun. I love In God's Country. RTSS is just too good for words. But, Exit is what this album is all about...
It breaks my @#&* heart that I am not able to attend this show. For those of you who are going...ENJOY!!!

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2017, 03:36:37 PM »
Prediction:

1. The Miracle
2. Out of Control/Electric Co. (rotating)
3. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. October

8. Streets
9. ISHFWILF
10. With Or Without You
11. Bullet the Blue Sky
12. Running to Stand Still
13. Red Hill Mining Town
14. In God's Country
15. TTYW
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
19. Mothers of the Disappeared

20. Party Girl
21. God, Pt. II
22. Pride (In the Name of Love)
23. Bad
24. All I Want Is You
25. 40

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Precious Stone
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2017, 03:38:24 PM »
Ugh, I forgot about Desire! No way that they wouldn't play that song.

Offline monopoly

• Stateless
« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2017, 04:36:11 PM »
Prediction:

1. The Miracle
2. Out of Control/Electric Co. (rotating)
3. An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart
4. Gloria
5. New Year's Day
6. Sunday Bloody Sunday
7. October

8. Streets
9. ISHFWILF
10. With Or Without You
11. Bullet the Blue Sky
12. Running to Stand Still
13. Red Hill Mining Town
14. In God's Country
15. TTYW
16. One Tree Hill
17. Exit
19. Mothers of the Disappeared

20. Party Girl
21. God, Pt. II
22. Pride (In the Name of Love)
23. Bad
24. All I Want Is You
25. 40

You forgot beautiful day and angel of Harlem. And vertigo...