Author Topic: Adam and Edge in Q Magazine March 2017  (Read 2375 times)

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
Re: Adam and Edge in Q Magazine March 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 02:58:14 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The 50 songs they had for NLOTH couldn't have been very good. As the 4 of them chose Boots as a top 11 song.

I think they were looking for something that could be a radio hit in the same vein as Vertigo. Songs like Winter and Soon were excellent, so I have no doubt there were some gems that never saw the light of day. I don't mind GOYB personally but it didn't belong on the album.

Offline mariomofo

• Babyface
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 03:05:44 PM »
I'm encouraged by the idea of them testing the songs as a band.

THIS.

As much I love the post-Achtung output, IMHO some of it suffers 'cause it seems they never quite figured out how translate it from the studio to a live setting.

I remember the Rattle and Hum days when people talked about the band cutting songs live in the studio as a 4-piece, with the results feeling very organic and cohesive. I'm all for creativity in the studio, but U2 songs really do live or die in concert.

Offline jick

• Precious Stone
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 07:32:17 PM »
I just saw the article. 

It is a dated article that has absolutely no relevance.  Q published it without knowing the Joshua Tree Tour was coming.

Poor Q Magazine... or poor readers if they will even believe the article as current or having a modicum of truth.  There won't be any new album on 2017 and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

Cheers,

J

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:14:28 PM »
I just saw the article. 

It is a dated article that has absolutely no relevance.  Q published it without knowing the Joshua Tree Tour was coming.

Poor Q Magazine... or poor readers if they will even believe the article as current or having a modicum of truth.  There won't be any new album on 2017 and you can bet your bottom dollar on that.

Cheers,

J

This.

You might as well go to a Propaganda interview circa. 1989 to determine what U2 will do next. Just as relevant as this Q piece.

Offline opening night

• Wanderer
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2017, 12:29:37 AM »
I just saw the article. 

Cheers,

J

Edge and Adam gave that interview without knowing The Joshua Tree was coming!

Offline bosk1

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2017, 07:03:48 PM »
Wouldn't it be nice if they just released the 12-track album now, then added a "Wide Awake" type of EP in the next 6-9 months with a couple of new tracks. Then combine them into a deluxe edition to kick off the Experience tour.

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
The 50 songs they had for NLOTH couldn't have been very good. As the 4 of them chose Boots as a top 11 song.

I think they were looking for something that could be a radio hit in the same vein as Vertigo. Songs like Winter and Soon were excellent, so I have no doubt there were some gems that never saw the light of day. I don't mind GOYB personally but it didn't belong on the album.

yea the story is Will.I.Am told them there wasn't a hit single on it so they recorded the middle 3. thats the legend anyways.

That’s been whittled down to 18 tracks, which are being finessed, finished and recorded before selecting 10-12 to make the final cut. “The ordeal,” says Edge, “is getting all four members to agree on the same dozen songs.”

Just put out the 18 tracks then. Why conform to what is the normal length of an album? Instead, you're going to kick off 5+ tracks for an absolute clunker in the form of an anti-Trump song. Why not put out Songs of Experience, and then turn around and put out whatever these new ideas are?

i agree just put it out as is but they'd never have the balls to do that.

also, why do you assume the "anti-Trump song" would be a clunker? i believe their pi**ed about trump and a lil fire in the belly could be good.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 05:14:37 AM »
They seem overly concerned about a 'miss fire' and genuine about the opportunity to capture the political discontent of late. This will have been be 3 or 4 years in the making and they know it will likely be the same turnaround time again for their next effort..
They had some kind of epiphany just ahead of releasing soe and probably feel worth delaying another 12 months on this album if they can somehow bottle up the political cultures of late and connect... but no good releasing that kind of record in 2021, when the moment of change has already passed... which means tampering with their existing album, whilst milking a classic album, or flogging a dead horse, depending on your view.

Can't help but think they knew about the joshua tour a lot longer than they're letting on though.

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 05:33:54 AM »
The problem with their approach as I see it, is that the experience theme doesn't really tie in with the political one and run the risk of a clunky incoherent album, that's made to fit for convenience.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2017, 07:35:55 AM »
Wouldn't it be nice if they just released the 12-track album now, then added a "Wide Awake" type of EP in the next 6-9 months with a couple of new tracks. Then combine them into a deluxe edition to kick off the Experience tour.

I wish the band would do more EPs. It would be a great way for them to put out a few tracks here and there without the added pressure of a full-blown album release.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2017, 10:38:06 AM »
They seem overly concerned about a 'miss fire' and genuine about the opportunity to capture the political discontent of late. This will have been be 3 or 4 years in the making and they know it will likely be the same turnaround time again for their next effort..
They had some kind of epiphany just ahead of releasing soe and probably feel worth delaying another 12 months on this album if they can somehow bottle up the political cultures of late and connect... but no good releasing that kind of record in 2021, when the moment of change has already passed... which means tampering with their existing album, whilst milking a classic album, or flogging a dead horse, depending on your view.

Can't help but think they knew about the joshua tour a lot longer than they're letting on though.

Of course.  This tour is a big production even with the limited dates.  U2 never go halfway and as such this has been in the works for a long time.  I suspect they have been frustrated not to have made more progress on the album and just abandoned it in favor of the nostalgia tour.  Which is completely fine, obviously they have earned the right to do whatever they want.

Would have been great tho if they left the US election stuff out of the conversation, so lame...

Offline bass slap

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2017, 02:08:05 PM »

Of course.  This tour is a big production even with the limited dates.  U2 never go halfway and as such this has been in the works for a long time.  I suspect they have been frustrated not to have made more progress on the album and just abandoned it in favor of the nostalgia tour.  Which is completely fine, obviously they have earned the right to do whatever they want.

Would have been great tho if they left the US election stuff out of the conversation, so lame...
Indeed.. corporate spin.