Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 12968 times)

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2017, 07:22:20 AM »
^^^^
They were practically giving away tickets to Hall and Oats and Tears For Fears in Nashville. Uppers were like $15 by the end. I can't imagine they fared much better in Pittsburgh.

Offline jrodr079

• Refugee
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2017, 09:04:18 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
^^^^
They were practically giving away tickets to Hall and Oats and Tears For Fears in Nashville. Uppers were like $15 by the end. I can't imagine they fared much better in Pittsburgh.

Same in Miami. It was the night before U2 and it was pouring rain. Also saw decent $20 seats in Stubhub.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2017, 09:41:54 AM »
^^^^

Same in Miami. It was the night before U2 and it was pouring rain. Also saw decent $20 seats in Stubhub.

That wasn't the best pairing in the world, and string to play arenas and large sheds was probably a bit ambitious.

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
^^^^

That wasn't the best pairing in the world, and string to play arenas and large sheds was probably a bit ambitious.
Yeah, on HAll & Oates last two Pittsburgh outings, they played a venue that holds 5,500, selling it to capacity each time. I couldn't tell you when Tears For Fears last came to town, so I thought that it was a bit ambitious/foolish of them to book the hockey arena here. The week before the show, they did a 3 day sale on Ticketmaster, slashing the uppers down to $10, and lowers, some parts of the floor included, down to $25. On the day of the U2 Heinz Field show, I actually took an Uber down to the arena, to buy a ticket at the box office, so as to not pay the service fees (i.e., I didn't want my $25 ticket to become almost $50), and I then just took the subway over to Heinz Field.

At the Hall&Oates show, I must say that the venue did look to be a good 95% full, as best as I could tell from the floor! $10 says they won't be playing an arena show again after this tour, at least not with tickets prices where they initially were!

Offline skelter

• Running to Stand Still
  • Drowning is no sin
« Reply #124 on: June 20, 2017, 08:30:31 PM »
How much do you think each band member makes per show (pre-tax), on average?

Supposedly each U2 member earns the same amount, and I believe it.

My baseless guess is at least $500,000 per concert. I mean, if I were an A-list musician, that's the minimum I want to make each show night, when A-list movie actors get $20 mil (or was it much higher) for each movie.  ;D

Offline jenniferh aka jen

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2017, 12:09:01 AM »
How much do you think each band member makes per show (pre-tax), on average?

Supposedly each U2 member earns the same amount, and I believe it.

My baseless guess is at least $500,000 per concert. I mean, if I were an A-list musician, that's the minimum I want to make each show night, when A-list movie actors get $20 mil (or was it much higher) for each movie.  ;D

The tour grossed $62M for 10 shows, per an article last week. It's hard to figure out unless we know what the cost is for each venue: set up/take down/occupancy time.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2017, 12:53:29 AM »
Haven't they already been paid by LiveNation?

Online JTNash

• Party Girl/Boy
« Reply #127 on: June 22, 2017, 08:02:03 AM »
They usually get a guarantee of some sort and then a percentage of ticket sales.

Offline suppers ready

• Stateless
« Reply #128 on: June 22, 2017, 07:30:24 PM »
360 cost around 750k/day to operate (even on off days).  I suspect this tour much less.  It took days to set up the claw. It probably takes a day to build the underlying structure and part of a day to build the stage we see and the screen.  So I'm guessing no more than 500k/day (maybe less).  But who knows.  Until you see what production costs are (and I suspect what I quoted didn't include the cost of the actual claws or screen), it's tough to say, but I'm sure it's a lot.  Are they staying in town this tour?  On 360, I believe they mostly based themsevles out of L.A., NY and Chicago.  Flying is expensive (as is hotels for the entire crew and flights for most of them to the next show).

Offline briscoetheque

• Traffic Cop (Rue du Marais)
  • R-E-S-T-E-C-P
« Reply #129 on: June 22, 2017, 07:55:08 PM »
Yeah I think they'll survive to be honest.

monopoly

« Reply #130 on: June 22, 2017, 08:58:31 PM »
This stage setup is so simple. It's literally your typical concert stage with a screen behind it