Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 9998 times)

Offline TheFlyMacphisto

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2017, 07:45:17 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What a load of rubbish. A 5 minute ticketmaster search just showed me that the only dates that have seats left in multiple sections (mostly higher up) are Houston and Tampa. Some of the shows they listed as not selling have no available tickets (Cleveland, Miami, Washington). So basically U2 sold out stadiums in Vancouver, Seattle, San Fran, LA, Chicago, NY, Boston, Washington, Philly, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, and Dallas within 1 day of tickets going on sale to the public, with only Houston, Tampa, and Pittsburgh not being automatic sell outs and that is supposed to be looked at as a failure? North American dates alone have probably grossed more then $120m in 1 day. U2 must be devastated.

Don't call it "San Fran". ;)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2017, 09:01:57 PM »
read the front page.  1.1 million tickets sold today.  He needs to check that headline out.

yea the dallas show sold out in like minutes.

Half of these tickets are to scalpers....

For U2 those tickets are paid for and it's still a sell out.

Yup. Hopefully the scalpers end up losing money on this, rather than making it (I've heard of cases where scalped Coldplay tickets sell for less than face value the day of the concert).

Offline THRILLHO

• Holy Joe
  • The sun won't melt our wings tonight
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2017, 09:45:13 PM »
yea. it hardly matters to U2/Live Nation if scalpers are buying them. a sell out show is a sell out show. now if the scalpers DONT sell the tickets and U2 is looking at half empty stadiums............THEN they care.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »
What a load of rubbish. A 5 minute ticketmaster search just showed me that the only dates that have seats left in multiple sections (mostly higher up) are Houston and Tampa. Some of the shows they listed as not selling have no available tickets (Cleveland, Miami, Washington). So basically U2 sold out stadiums in Vancouver, Seattle, San Fran, LA, Chicago, NY, Boston, Washington, Philly, Miami, Cleveland, Toronto, and Dallas within 1 day of tickets going on sale to the public, with only Houston, Tampa, and Pittsburgh not being automatic sell outs and that is supposed to be looked at as a failure? North American dates alone have probably grossed more then $120m in 1 day. U2 must be devastated.

Don't call it "San Fran". ;)

everyone knows its proper nickname is simply Frisco.   ;D

Offline Mozz

• Babyface
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 09:15:24 AM »
It's Alan Cross. As a fellow Canadian, his journalistic skills have not been their sharpest lately. He tends to flub facts and exaggerate for drama often.

He used to be good. He has as a show called Ongoing History of Rock (I think it's still "ongoing") but he's been slacking. Used to actually have interesting bits and inside info but just awful the past few years.

I don't know Alan Cross at all, but to call that piece 'journalism' is a bit of a stretch.

Offline Thunder Peel

• Up With the Sun
  • I'm not coming down
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2017, 10:28:15 AM »
yea. it hardly matters to U2/Live Nation if scalpers are buying them. a sell out show is a sell out show. now if the scalpers DONT sell the tickets and U2 is looking at half empty stadiums............THEN they care.

That's really the crux of it. As long as people are willing to pay for those tickets then scalpers will continue to sell them. If enough people speak with their wallets then we might actually see a difference and artists might finally find ways to ensure that fans are able to get affordable tickets.

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2017, 11:05:29 AM »
read the front page.  1.1 million tickets sold today.  He needs to check that headline out.

Yup. Hopefully the scalpers end up losing money on this, rather than making it (I've heard of cases where scalped Coldplay tickets sell for less than face value the day of the concert).

the touts at wembley on 360 couldn't give the tickets they had left away....i know of them being sold for as little as 10 for the 2nd night and touts got burned with handfuls left unsold.

this time they will do ok as there aren't many shows and people will happily come out and pay to go on a nostalgia trip.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »

the touts at wembley on 360 couldn't give the tickets they had left away....i know of them being sold for as little as 10 for the 2nd night and touts got burned with handfuls left unsold.

this time they will do ok as there aren't many shows and people will happily come out and pay to go on a nostalgia trip.

I paid 30 for my 1st night ticket off a dodgy member of  stadium staff.  I think I got there too late as there was no touting business going on and I missed the first few songs, although I could hear them pretty well outside.

Ticket drops in the weeks leading up to the concert certainly help to undercut the touts.  That and the fact that the tickets at face value are already priced to a point where many/most people would not be willing to spend more to gain entry.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2017, 02:23:04 PM »

I'm still crossing my fingers that these touts end up like those at Wembley. Nothing would make me happier than to see them lose so much money that they stop touting U2 tickets.

Looking at the outrageous prices even for the Cleveland concert, I'm really glad I was able to secure the 5 I needed at face value (3 GA, 2 accessible for my mom/sister--luckily TM got me some of the $35 tickets which are surprisingly good). I mean, $365 for 5 tickets isn't amazing, but it's a heckuva lot better than paying $200 for just one ticket. I feel awful for all the fans who didn't get tickets to a show they really want to go to...and now must choose between not going or paying crazy prices.

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2017, 03:00:27 PM »

I'm still crossing my fingers that these touts end up like those at Wembley. Nothing would make me happier than to see them lose so much money that they stop touting U2 tickets.

Looking at the outrageous prices even for the Cleveland concert, I'm really glad I was able to secure the 5 I needed at face value (3 GA, 2 accessible for my mom/sister--luckily TM got me some of the $35 tickets which are surprisingly good). I mean, $365 for 5 tickets isn't amazing, but it's a heckuva lot better than paying $200 for just one ticket. I feel awful for all the fans who didn't get tickets to a show they really want to go to...and now must choose between not going or paying crazy prices.

Nothing would make me happier than seeing an tha get stung as he always uses his wife's CC to buy his tickets and then sells some off so he can afford a few drinks at the show  :P

Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »

Nothing would make me happier than seeing an tha get stung as he always uses his wife's CC to buy his tickets and then sells some off so he can afford a few drinks at the show  :P

Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Moving tickets to these shows won't be difficult....nostalgia....quite a bit of coverage in press to generare interest among joe public....playing what joe public would consider their best album....not many shows...

Touts will clean up on this one....my 50 standing tickets will probably pay for a new kitchen at an tha towers... :)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2017, 03:12:27 PM »

Moving tickets to these shows won't be difficult....nostalgia....quite a bit of coverage in press to generare interest among joe public....playing what joe public would consider their best album....not many shows...

Touts will clean up on this one....my 50 standing tickets will probably pay for a new kitchen at an tha towers... :)

An Tha, with all the moralizing you do on this forum, I'd never have taken you for a tout!  ;)

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • I'm a long way from your hill of calvary
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2017, 03:17:22 PM »
This headline is just Alan Cross being Alan Cross. Lets do the math: 24 shows have general sales right now. Live nation stated that the general sale produced 1.1 million tickets on general sale in 24 hours. Even allowing for not counting the pre-sale numbers, that's about 46,000 tickets sold for each show. Given the stage layout, where unlike 360, you can't have audience members beside or behind the stage, I am guessing the sell-out crowd would be around 55-60k for most stadiums. So, the remaining 10,000 tickets per stadium will easily get mopped up.

When it's all over, lets pull back this thread having looked at the box office tallies. I bet Alan Cross will end up looking silly, not that anyone will look back....

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »

An Tha, with all the moralizing you do on this forum, I'd never have taken you for a tout!  ;)

I am deeply offended.

Moralising!  :)

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »

Hah, I wish! As it is, I'm only going to either Chicago 1 or 2, depending on if I can get the other tickets I need. It'd be fantastic to do both, but with well over $1000 estimated in tickets/hotels/other travel costs, I don't think I can justify another show. We shall see, like I said I'd love to take in as many U2 shows on this tour as possible. I'm just feeling lucky to have gotten the very cheap accessible tickets as easily as I did since I've heard fans have issues with TM promising accessible tickets and not delivering. Ironically enough, I love holding onto ticket stubs from shows, of course my GA tickets are ticketless-entry, but the accessible tickets are printed. I guess I'll have to see if I can steal my mom's after the show.  ;)

I'm thinking next tour I might make the pilgrimage to Dublin for a show. Never been to Europe and it'd be a nice excuse to finally take that trip and enjoy a concert too.