Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 5106 times)

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »
This is complete B.S..  Even Zoo TV had shows that didn't sell out.  Playing softer markets on weeknights = slow sellouts.  I wouldn't worry about it at all, the stadiums in Tampa, Pittsburgh and Houston will be at least 90% sold out by show day if not completely sold out.  I attended the 360 show in Pittsburgh, and it wasn't sold out.  There was a speckling of empty seats throughout the upper reaches of the stadium.  But even still, there were 55,000+ at the show, and the show still grossed $5 million+.  I doubt anybody was too worried about a couple thousand empty seats, nor will they be this time. 

Coldplay are probably the biggest CURRENT band touring right now.  Check out some of their seating maps on ticketmaster, there are A LOT of empty seats in most of the stadiums they are playing, some of them are venues that U2 sold out in one day.  The Guns n Roses tour has been all stadiums, and also have had a lot of shows not sell out.  I've seen pictures and heard stories of the entire upper decks of the stadiums being curtained off, with those ticket holders being moved downstairs.  That was supposed to be a big deal, Axl and Slash onstage together again... but not even that can compete with U2 playing the Joshua Tree. 

I do think that the SOI debacle really hurt U2's public image, and I really do think that the slow(ish) sales of some of the I&E shows had to do with how turned off the general public was at the time.  This really does seem like a good move to get some of the casual fans back on their side. 

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2017, 05:32:01 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Hah, I wish! As it is, I'm only going to either Chicago 1 or 2, depending on if I can get the other tickets I need. It'd be fantastic to do both, but with well over $1000 estimated in tickets/hotels/other travel costs, I don't think I can justify another show. We shall see, like I said I'd love to take in as many U2 shows on this tour as possible. I'm just feeling lucky to have gotten the very cheap accessible tickets as easily as I did since I've heard fans have issues with TM promising accessible tickets and not delivering. Ironically enough, I love holding onto ticket stubs from shows, of course my GA tickets are ticketless-entry, but the accessible tickets are printed. I guess I'll have to see if I can steal my mom's after the show.  ;)

I'm thinking next tour I might make the pilgrimage to Dublin for a show. Never been to Europe and it'd be a nice excuse to finally take that trip and enjoy a concert too.

As you say, it's not just the concerts, you're basically going on a mini-vacation so I am sure you will feel it is worth it.  I'm pretty certain two concerts in different cities will satisfy you too on this tour.  I agree with the law of diminishing returns that someone posted about here... after a couple of shows it can get a bit boring if the set is essentially the same.

In the UK they often give out collected tickets for shows at the end as you make your exit, but this is going to be harder if they aren't issuing any.  So if your mom isn't obliging perhaps you can get a ticket stub for $5 or so on ebay afterwards?

If you want to see U2 in Dublin with a GA ticket being a member of u2.com would probably help.  I've never made the pilgrimage myself but an tha has - and all he did was moan (it was a 360 show)  :P  Dublin is, alas, quite an expensive city to visit. 

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:19 AM »
Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Hah, I wish! As it is, I'm only going to either Chicago 1 or 2, depending on if I can get the other tickets I need. It'd be fantastic to do both, but with well over $1000 estimated in tickets/hotels/other travel costs, I don't think I can justify another show. We shall see, like I said I'd love to take in as many U2 shows on this tour as possible. I'm just feeling lucky to have gotten the very cheap accessible tickets as easily as I did since I've heard fans have issues with TM promising accessible tickets and not delivering. Ironically enough, I love holding onto ticket stubs from shows, of course my GA tickets are ticketless-entry, but the accessible tickets are printed. I guess I'll have to see if I can steal my mom's after the show.  ;)

I'm thinking next tour I might make the pilgrimage to Dublin for a show. Never been to Europe and it'd be a nice excuse to finally take that trip and enjoy a concert too.

As you say, it's not just the concerts, you're basically going on a mini-vacation so I am sure you will feel it is worth it.  I'm pretty certain two concerts in different cities will satisfy you too on this tour.  I agree with the law of diminishing returns that someone posted about here... after a couple of shows it can get a bit boring if the set is essentially the same.

In the UK they often give out collected tickets for shows at the end as you make your exit, but this is going to be harder if they aren't issuing any.  So if your mom isn't obliging perhaps you can get a ticket stub for $5 or so on ebay afterwards?

If you want to see U2 in Dublin with a GA ticket being a member of u2.com would probably help.  I've never made the pilgrimage myself but an tha has - and all he did was moan (it was a 360 show)  :P  Dublin is, alas, quite an expensive city to visit.

ha.....that show was awful...honestly...

however dublin as a city is whilst expensive a good place to go and the atmosphere in pubs around the city is always good and especially good around gigs...u2 tribute acts playing in beer gardens etc.

just stay away from temple bar - over priced (even by dublin standards) over hyped, over full and full of whoppers!

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2017, 05:55:34 AM »
whoppers?

I'd love to go to Ireland...I'm 1/2 Irish...but it's not in the cards. Heck, I can't even get to LA!

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2017, 06:38:36 AM »
whoppers?

I'd love to go to Ireland...I'm 1/2 Irish...but it's not in the cards. Heck, I can't even get to LA!

whoppers - scouse slang for idiots

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 06:40:30 AM »
whoppers?

ah...you Brits are funny folk. Here, whoppers are lies. I like yours better...
scouse?

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2017, 06:47:18 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

People from Liverpool....

Whoppers also means lies over here too, but we have a lot of regional slang and a lot of words get used that mean different things in different places...

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2017, 06:48:31 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

Whoppers also means lies over here too, but we have a lot of regional slang and a lot of words get used that mean different things in different places...
aha. well, I'm getting a real education here. thanks!

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #38 on: January 20, 2017, 06:53:15 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

everyday is a school day.....it is a big old world isn't it and we are all so different in so many ways and the same in so many...

i think here in the uk regional differences are so pronounced and so many in number....you can go 20-30 miles here and it is literally at times a different accent/totally different use of language etc...

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2017, 06:56:56 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

everyday is a school day.....it is a big old world isn't it and we are all so different in so many ways and the same in so many...

i think here in the uk regional differences are so pronounced and so many in number....you can go 20-30 miles here and it is literally at times a different accent/totally different use of language etc...
It's kinda the same here in the states...a southern accent in one town sounds very pretty, and in another it's like a foreign language - hardly understandble. From state to state, even county to county, accents can vary. Yet, it IS a small world. I mean, I now feel like I have friends all over the world, thanks to this forum.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2017, 11:37:21 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

It's kinda the same here in the states...a southern accent in one town sounds very pretty, and in another it's like a foreign language - hardly understandble. From state to state, even county to county, accents can vary. Yet, it IS a small world. I mean, I now feel like I have friends all over the world, thanks to this forum.

riffy - this is what an tha looked like when he had hair 25 years ago.  Despite living in London he still has the accent: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »
whoppers?

scouse?

riffy - this is what an tha looked like when he had hair 25 years ago.  Despite living in London he still has the accent: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I knew without even clicking!

McGann and the other lad are actually scouse..enfield does a terrible accent but the thing is funny....best one was the scousers go to that london....genius.

oh and my shell suit was cerise and lime worn with white adidas trabs!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:51:20 AM by an tha »

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 02:23:05 PM »
you guys are tooooooo funny

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 02:33:19 PM »
whoppers?

scouse?

He met Graeme Souness in an 80s nightclub once and said "you look like me."

Online an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 02:38:01 PM »
whoppers?

scouse?

He met Graeme Souness in an 80s nightclub once and said "you look like me."

go on, yozzer lad!