Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 12951 times)

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2017, 02:45:58 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
whoppers?

I'd love to go to Ireland...I'm 1/2 Irish...but it's not in the cards. Heck, I can't even get to LA!

whoppers - scouse slang for idiots
ah...you Brits are funny folk. Here, whoppers are lies. I like yours better...
scouse?

People from Liverpool....

Whoppers also means lies over here too, but we have a lot of regional slang and a lot of words get used that mean different things in different places...
aha. well, I'm getting a real education here. thanks!

everyday is a school day.....it is a big old world isn't it and we are all so different in so many ways and the same in so many...

i think here in the uk regional differences are so pronounced and so many in number....you can go 20-30 miles here and it is literally at times a different accent/totally different use of language etc...
It's kinda the same here in the states...a southern accent in one town sounds very pretty, and in another it's like a foreign language - hardly understandble. From state to state, even county to county, accents can vary. Yet, it IS a small world. I mean, I now feel like I have friends all over the world, thanks to this forum.

riffy - this is what an tha looked like when he had hair 25 years ago.  Despite living in London he still has the accent: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He met Graeme Souness in an 80s nightclub once and said "you look like me."

go on, yozzer lad!

As the Kop faithful chanted at a Liverpool vs. Newcastle match in the early 80s "Yosser is 'arder than Oz."

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:37 PM »
whoppers?

I'd love to go to Ireland...I'm 1/2 Irish...but it's not in the cards. Heck, I can't even get to LA!

whoppers - scouse slang for idiots
ah...you Brits are funny folk. Here, whoppers are lies. I like yours better...
scouse?

People from Liverpool....

Whoppers also means lies over here too, but we have a lot of regional slang and a lot of words get used that mean different things in different places...
aha. well, I'm getting a real education here. thanks!

everyday is a school day.....it is a big old world isn't it and we are all so different in so many ways and the same in so many...

i think here in the uk regional differences are so pronounced and so many in number....you can go 20-30 miles here and it is literally at times a different accent/totally different use of language etc...
It's kinda the same here in the states...a southern accent in one town sounds very pretty, and in another it's like a foreign language - hardly understandble. From state to state, even county to county, accents can vary. Yet, it IS a small world. I mean, I now feel like I have friends all over the world, thanks to this forum.

riffy - this is what an tha looked like when he had hair 25 years ago.  Despite living in London he still has the accent: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

He met Graeme Souness in an 80s nightclub once and said "you look like me."

go on, yozzer lad!

As the Kop faithful chanted at a Liverpool vs. Newcastle match in the early 80s "Yosser is 'arder than Oz."

Oh we all agree!....

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
  • I know that this is not goodbye, my forum friends!
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2017, 05:14:26 PM »
what language ARE you speaking?

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2017, 05:23:27 PM »

well for me now the language of ale...been out on a beano since 7 - just waiting for curry and then home after a good session....

i could almost love elevation...woohoo! but not quite!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2017, 05:25:22 PM »

well for me now the language of ale...been out on a beano since 7 - just waiting for curry and then home after a good session....

Well have a couple more...elevation is great when you're toasted! I'll be having a few myself quite shortly! YAY! It's beer o'clock!

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »

Well have a couple more...elevation is great when you're toasted! I'll be having a few myself quite shortly! YAY! It's beer o'clock!

home and bed now....food nearly ready...chicken madras, pilau rice, meat samosas, keema naan and chips....yeah chips  - i don't care!!

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2017, 05:30:34 PM »

home and bed now....food nearly ready...chicken madras, pilau rice, meat samosas, keema naan and chips....yeah chips  - i don't care!!
ok, now you're speaking that funny language again.
Have a great night with your missus...eat your chips like a good boy.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2017, 05:39:15 PM »
I thought that a Whopper was a sh**ty hamburger.

Offline riffraff

• Deep In the Heart
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2017, 05:40:26 PM »
Yup. But, they talk funny across the ocean.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #54 on: January 20, 2017, 05:48:09 PM »

A Burger King Whopper?  They're lovely.  They don't come up on me all night like a Big Mac.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #55 on: January 20, 2017, 05:52:54 PM »
Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Hah, I wish! As it is, I'm only going to either Chicago 1 or 2, depending on if I can get the other tickets I need. It'd be fantastic to do both, but with well over $1000 estimated in tickets/hotels/other travel costs, I don't think I can justify another show. We shall see, like I said I'd love to take in as many U2 shows on this tour as possible. I'm just feeling lucky to have gotten the very cheap accessible tickets as easily as I did since I've heard fans have issues with TM promising accessible tickets and not delivering. Ironically enough, I love holding onto ticket stubs from shows, of course my GA tickets are ticketless-entry, but the accessible tickets are printed. I guess I'll have to see if I can steal my mom's after the show.  ;)

I'm thinking next tour I might make the pilgrimage to Dublin for a show. Never been to Europe and it'd be a nice excuse to finally take that trip and enjoy a concert too.

As you say, it's not just the concerts, you're basically going on a mini-vacation so I am sure you will feel it is worth it.  I'm pretty certain two concerts in different cities will satisfy you too on this tour.  I agree with the law of diminishing returns that someone posted about here... after a couple of shows it can get a bit boring if the set is essentially the same.

In the UK they often give out collected tickets for shows at the end as you make your exit, but this is going to be harder if they aren't issuing any.  So if your mom isn't obliging perhaps you can get a ticket stub for $5 or so on ebay afterwards?

If you want to see U2 in Dublin with a GA ticket being a member of u2.com would probably help.  I've never made the pilgrimage myself but an tha has - and all he did was moan (it was a 360 show)  :P  Dublin is, alas, quite an expensive city to visit.

ha.....that show was awful...honestly...

however dublin as a city is whilst expensive a good place to go and the atmosphere in pubs around the city is always good and especially good around gigs...u2 tribute acts playing in beer gardens etc.

just stay away from temple bar - over priced (even by dublin standards) over hyped, over full and full of whoppers!

Good info to know! I'm definitely looking forward to visiting there. I'll make sure to bring a bit of extra cash for that trip, haha.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #56 on: January 20, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »
Congrats on your great ticket success, tiger, I am sure you're going to have a great time.  Really glad your family are joining you too.  Are you tempted to go to Chicago 2, too?

Hah, I wish! As it is, I'm only going to either Chicago 1 or 2, depending on if I can get the other tickets I need. It'd be fantastic to do both, but with well over $1000 estimated in tickets/hotels/other travel costs, I don't think I can justify another show. We shall see, like I said I'd love to take in as many U2 shows on this tour as possible. I'm just feeling lucky to have gotten the very cheap accessible tickets as easily as I did since I've heard fans have issues with TM promising accessible tickets and not delivering. Ironically enough, I love holding onto ticket stubs from shows, of course my GA tickets are ticketless-entry, but the accessible tickets are printed. I guess I'll have to see if I can steal my mom's after the show.  ;)

I'm thinking next tour I might make the pilgrimage to Dublin for a show. Never been to Europe and it'd be a nice excuse to finally take that trip and enjoy a concert too.

As you say, it's not just the concerts, you're basically going on a mini-vacation so I am sure you will feel it is worth it.  I'm pretty certain two concerts in different cities will satisfy you too on this tour.  I agree with the law of diminishing returns that someone posted about here... after a couple of shows it can get a bit boring if the set is essentially the same.

In the UK they often give out collected tickets for shows at the end as you make your exit, but this is going to be harder if they aren't issuing any.  So if your mom isn't obliging perhaps you can get a ticket stub for $5 or so on ebay afterwards?

If you want to see U2 in Dublin with a GA ticket being a member of u2.com would probably help.  I've never made the pilgrimage myself but an tha has - and all he did was moan (it was a 360 show)  :P  Dublin is, alas, quite an expensive city to visit.

however dublin as a city is whilst expensive a good place to go and the atmosphere in pubs around the city is always good and especially good around gigs...u2 tribute acts playing in beer gardens etc.

just stay away from temple bar - over priced (even by dublin standards) over hyped, over full and full of whoppers!

Good info to know! I'm definitely looking forward to visiting there. I'll make sure to bring a bit of extra cash for that trip, haha.

it really is a great city.....expensive for sure but oif you swerve the tourist hotspots it is fine...it is also tiny...

Offline il_capo

• Child of Grace
« Reply #57 on: January 20, 2017, 06:46:44 PM »

Given the value of the pound is tanking against the dollar, in the future you and legions of other Americans will probably end up coming to the UK to see gigs - our U2 crowds are already international but they'll probably become more so now.  Given I like international crowds this is not something I am going to complain about.  And nor, I suspect, is an tha given his international tastes in cuisine (listed above) and the staff he hires  ;)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:04:50 PM by il_capo »

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Elevated
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #58 on: January 20, 2017, 08:38:31 PM »

A Burger King Whopper?  They're lovely.  They don't come up on me all night like a Big Mac.
I prefer the Big Mac... but neither even come close to the perfection that is a Whataburger. They're all over Texas and I think that some locations can be found in the southeast.

Offline tigerfan41

• Child of Grace
  • 2017 Concerts: Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
« Reply #59 on: January 20, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
Given the value of the pound is tanking against the dollar, in the future you and legions of other Americans will probably end up coming to the UK to see gigs - our U2 crowds are already international but they'll probably become more so now.  Given I like international crowds this is not something I am going to complain about.  And nor, I suspect, is an tha given his international tastes in cuisine (listed above) and the staff he hires  ;)

Well hopefully it doesn't tank too much for you guys! Who knows, with our current political state, we may very well have issues of our own with the value of our dollar!

I actually recently looked up what it would cost roundtrip to fly to Dublin from Chicago. It was less than $650 per person, which really surprised me since that's less than a trip to Hawaii (expensive). Definitely seems like a very doable trip for me within the next year or two. Taking in a U2 concert would just be a bonus.