Author Topic: U2 did not sell out  (Read 5649 times)

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
Re: U2 did not sell out
« Reply #75 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
I just poked around Ticketmaster's site, and Houston is by far the slowest to sellout, as best as I could tell. Other cities that have yet to sell out (Tampa, Pittsburgh, along with second nights in Pasadena and Chicago, are easily 80% soldout, so far as I could tell; for some reason, you couldn't zoom in for night 2 in E Rutherford).

Then again, it wouldn't show how many GA tix were still available for Pittsurge, so my numbers could be way off when I say that Houston is the slowest sell.

Also, it looks like they've added a show in Louisville, at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. That'll draw people from Cincinatti, as well as places as far south as Nashville, with another 55,000-ish tickets to sell.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #76 on: January 30, 2017, 10:03:49 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much, neither u2, anyone in their set up or their bosses at livenation are gonna go hungry if a few tickets here and there aren't sold... and as fans does it make a difference if there a few empty seats?

If anything it may be a good thing if it happens and encourage those who set the prices at such high levels to realise that they may need to come down a touch to ensure shifting them all.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2017, 10:22:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Given the value of the pound is tanking against the dollar, in the future you and legions of other Americans will probably end up coming to the UK to see gigs - our U2 crowds are already international but they'll probably become more so now.  Given I like international crowds this is not something I am going to complain about.  And nor, I suspect, is an tha given his international tastes in cuisine (listed above) and the staff he hires  ;)

Well hopefully it doesn't tank too much for you guys! Who knows, with our current political state, we may very well have issues of our own with the value of our dollar!

I actually recently looked up what it would cost roundtrip to fly to Dublin from Chicago. It was less than $650 per person, which really surprised me since that's less than a trip to Hawaii (expensive). Definitely seems like a very doable trip for me within the next year or two. Taking in a U2 concert would just be a bonus.

Dublin is 2 hours closer than Hawaii I reckon... So not that much of a surprise...

Ahh, true, I didn't think of it in terms of mileage but instead in terms of Hawaii being part of the US, while Dublin is outside the US (in Europe). That made me assume a trip to Europe = more expensive than a trip to Hawaii. Which, as it turns out, is not the case and I'm actually happy about that.

I just poked around Ticketmaster's site, and Houston is by far the slowest to sellout, as best as I could tell. Other cities that have yet to sell out (Tampa, Pittsburgh, along with second nights in Pasadena and Chicago, are easily 80% soldout, so far as I could tell; for some reason, you couldn't zoom in for night 2 in E Rutherford).

Then again, it wouldn't show how many GA tix were still available for Pittsurge, so my numbers could be way off when I say that Houston is the slowest sell.

Also, it looks like they've added a show in Louisville, at Papa John's Cardinal Stadium. That'll draw people from Cincinatti, as well as places as far south as Nashville, with another 55,000-ish tickets to sell.

Houston I believe is close to or is sold out for GA. Same for Chicago 2. Pittsburgh is by far the slowest moving in terms of ticket sales--over 3,000 GA tickets plus a bunch of tickets in the stands.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 10:55:16 AM »

Given the value of the pound is tanking against the dollar, in the future you and legions of other Americans will probably end up coming to the UK to see gigs - our U2 crowds are already international but they'll probably become more so now.  Given I like international crowds this is not something I am going to complain about.  And nor, I suspect, is an tha given his international tastes in cuisine (listed above) and the staff he hires  ;)

Well hopefully it doesn't tank too much for you guys! Who knows, with our current political state, we may very well have issues of our own with the value of our dollar!

I actually recently looked up what it would cost roundtrip to fly to Dublin from Chicago. It was less than $650 per person, which really surprised me since that's less than a trip to Hawaii (expensive). Definitely seems like a very doable trip for me within the next year or two. Taking in a U2 concert would just be a bonus.

Dublin is 2 hours closer than Hawaii I reckon... So not that much of a surprise...

Ahh, true, I didn't think of it in terms of mileage but instead in terms of Hawaii being part of the US, while Dublin is outside the US (in Europe). That made me assume a trip to Europe = more expensive than a trip to Hawaii. Which, as it turns out, is not the case and I'm actually happy about that.

Houston I believe is close to or is sold out for GA. Same for Chicago 2. Pittsburgh is by far the slowest moving in terms of ticket sales--over 3,000 GA tickets plus a bunch of tickets in the stands.
How are you determining that there are still 3,000 GA tickets available for Pittsburgh? And, from just a cursory perusal, it looked, to me, as if Houston had quite a bit more blue dots in the seats, especially in the upper reaches, than did Pittsburgh.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2017, 10:58:10 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it too much, neither u2, anyone in their set up or their bosses at livenation are gonna go hungry if a few tickets here and there aren't sold... and as fans does it make a difference if there a few empty seats?

If anything it may be a good thing if it happens and encourage those who set the prices at such high levels to realise that they may need to come down a touch to ensure shifting them all.

I couldn't agree with you more, though I feel like U2 considers anything that doesn't sell 100% tickets to be a failure. All these years later, they're still burned by PopMart.

As I said in another post, I saw Guns N Roses at Heinz Field last summer, and, according to ticket stats posted on the Wikipedia page for that tour, there were 3,000 unsold tickets. The show still grossed anywhere from $3-4 million, if not more, on ticket sales alone (i.e., not including merch booth sales).

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2017, 12:06:18 PM »

I couldn't agree with you more, though I feel like U2 considers anything that doesn't sell 100% tickets to be a failure. All these years later, they're still burned by PopMart.

As I said in another post, I saw Guns N Roses at Heinz Field last summer, and, according to ticket stats posted on the Wikipedia page for that tour, there were 3,000 unsold tickets. The show still grossed anywhere from $3-4 million, if not more, on ticket sales alone (i.e., not including merch booth sales).

Aye - I tend not to worry about whether multi millionaires and enormous corporations make an extra million or so at each show.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »

How are you determining that there are still 3,000 GA tickets available for Pittsburgh? And, from just a cursory perusal, it looked, to me, as if Houston had quite a bit more blue dots in the seats, especially in the upper reaches, than did Pittsburgh.

Sorry for not posting this before, but here's how:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you go to the ticketmaster site through your internet browser and select "skip this step" it allows you to click a section and buy tickets. Hover over GA and you see how many tickets are available. In this case, roughly 3,128 GA are available.

Also the darker the blue color, the more tickets available. Lots of darker blue in Pittsburgh.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 12:25:29 PM by tigerfan41 »

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2017, 04:30:57 PM »

Sorry for not posting this before, but here's how:

visitors can't see pics , please You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login or You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you go to the ticketmaster site through your internet browser and select "skip this step" it allows you to click a section and buy tickets. Hover over GA and you see how many tickets are available. In this case, roughly 3,128 GA are available.

Also the darker the blue color, the more tickets available. Lots of darker blue in Pittsburgh.
Ahhhhh, I've only ever looked on my mobile. The GA aside, if you zoom in to the stands, though, I still say that Houston has quite a bit more available seats left than Pittsburgh.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »

Aye - I tend not to worry about whether multi millionaires and enormous corporations make an extra million or so at each show.
I'm with you there, though I'd be surprised if there's a million dollars worth of tickets left available.

As an aside, if U2 wants to make an extra buck while also keeping fans happy, they could sell recordings of these shows on their website. Of course, it would really only make sense if they vary the non-Joshua Tree portion of the show enough to warrant selling each night. I've twice seen Springsteen since he started selling his recordings, and it's a nice keepsake.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:01 PM »
As far as Pittsburgh, large portions of the upper decks on either side of the stage have not even been released for sale yet.  They're trying to sell those 3,000+ floor tickets, and slowly trying to fill some of the upper levels.  Houston, Tampa and LA2 have some empty seats in the upper corners that will sell.  If they lowered the prices to what those seats are actually worth, they'd sell out instantly!  Pittsburgh is by far the dud of this tour. 

I think Louisville will sell fairly well.  It's on a Friday, which is always an advantage.  It'll draw in people from Lexington, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.  I already have Cleveland tickets, and I am wrestling with trying to get Louisville tickets or not. 

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #85 on: January 31, 2017, 07:10:10 AM »
As far as Pittsburgh, large portions of the upper decks on either side of the stage have not even been released for sale yet.  They're trying to sell those 3,000+ floor tickets, and slowly trying to fill some of the upper levels.  Houston, Tampa and LA2 have some empty seats in the upper corners that will sell.  If they lowered the prices to what those seats are actually worth, they'd sell out instantly!  Pittsburgh is by far the dud of this tour. 

I think Louisville will sell fairly well.  It's on a Friday, which is always an advantage.  It'll draw in people from Lexington, Cincinnati and Indianapolis.  I already have Cleveland tickets, and I am wrestling with trying to get Louisville tickets or not. 

Also it will draw from Tennessee, St. Louis, Atlanta and the Carolinas. It was a smart spot.

Offline trevgreg

• Numb
« Reply #86 on: January 31, 2017, 10:36:32 AM »
I saw both Guns N Roses and Coldplay last year, both in Pittsburgh. Coldplay played the hockey arena, selling out with somewhere between 14,000-15,000 tickets, grossing a little bit over $1.6 million. Guns N Roses played Heinz Field, where U2 will be in June (and, where they also played in 2011 news the end of the 360 Tour). According to stats posted on the Wikipedia page for the tour, there were exactly 3,000 unsold tickets (39,120 out of an available 42,120), still grossing close to $4 million. In 2015, The Rolling Stones played the same stadium, selling all available tickets (over 54,000), grossing over $9 million. U2 also soldout there in 2011, selling a similar amount of tickets, closer to 56,000, grossing a bit over $5 million.

Thanks. Yeah, I kind of figure it's nothing too unusual at this point. I know that a lot of larger acts have various tickets floating about for even arena shows, and the venue's usually hold a number of them until the final week or day anyway. And like people on here said, it'll deifnitely pick up in the months and days up to the show itself.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #87 on: January 31, 2017, 10:52:28 AM »
I saw both Guns N Roses and Coldplay last year, both in Pittsburgh. Coldplay played the hockey arena, selling out with somewhere between 14,000-15,000 tickets, grossing a little bit over $1.6 million. Guns N Roses played Heinz Field, where U2 will be in June (and, where they also played in 2011 news the end of the 360 Tour). According to stats posted on the Wikipedia page for the tour, there were exactly 3,000 unsold tickets (39,120 out of an available 42,120), still grossing close to $4 million. In 2015, The Rolling Stones played the same stadium, selling all available tickets (over 54,000), grossing over $9 million. U2 also soldout there in 2011, selling a similar amount of tickets, closer to 56,000, grossing a bit over $5 million.

Thanks. Yeah, I kind of figure it's nothing too unusual at this point. I know that a lot of larger acts have various tickets floating about for even arena shows, and the venue's usually hold a number of them until the final week or day anyway. And like people on here said, it'll deifnitely pick up in the months and days up to the show itself.

I also frequent a Springsteen site, and I recently saw a comment that for some reason, Pittsburgh has become a tough sell.

Offline cocamojoe

• Stateless
« Reply #88 on: January 31, 2017, 10:40:34 PM »

I also frequent a Springsteen site, and I recently saw a comment that for some reason, Pittsburgh has become a tough sell.
I saw Springsteen in Pittsburgh back in September, and he sold 16,000+ out of about 19,000 available. The same tour started in Pittsburgh in January, and was an instantaneous sellout.

I saw him there in April 2014, too, and there was anywhere from 500-1,000 available tickets for that show, too. My friends and I were in three different places, but one was offered to be moved lower down by an usher, and she then scored enough tickets for us to all end up together, in a lower down, closer to the stage section, too!

For curiosities sake, do you have a link to this Springsteen forum? I'd like to read up on it some myself.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2017, 07:59:52 AM »

I saw Springsteen in Pittsburgh back in September, and he sold 16,000+ out of about 19,000 available. The same tour started in Pittsburgh in January, and was an instantaneous sellout.

I saw him there in April 2014, too, and there was anywhere from 500-1,000 available tickets for that show, too. My friends and I were in three different places, but one was offered to be moved lower down by an usher, and she then scored enough tickets for us to all end up together, in a lower down, closer to the stage section, too!

For curiosities sake, do you have a link to this Springsteen forum? I'd like to read up on it some myself.

You'll need to register to browse.