Author Topic: Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.  (Read 2142 times)

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.
« on: January 18, 2017, 08:05:53 PM »

'The system's broken': Resellers snap up U2 tickets before fans  from Vancouver CTV:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
Re: Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 08:59:26 PM »
This is disgusting. Ticketmaster should be ashamed of themselves since they allow this to happen. U2 should also come out publicly denouncing it just like Elton John, Coldplay, Mumford & Sons and countless other artists have. It is despicable that true fans are being priced out of these tickets by these greedy low lifes.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 03:21:55 AM »
How do bots get past those "I'm not a robot" check boxes?!

Ha, seriously I had to keep identifying street numbers, rivers, storefronts, and trees so often I thought I'd never get to the next screen.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 03:37:46 AM »

Ha, seriously I had to keep identifying street numbers, rivers, storefronts, and trees so often I thought I'd never get to the next screen.

it is an ongoing game.....sites put on anti bot functionality the people behind the bots find a way around it and round and round we go...

as for ticket touting it has been around forever and will continue to be.

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 08:43:42 AM »

it is an ongoing game.....sites put on anti bot functionality the people behind the bots find a way around it and round and round we go...

Forever is a long time.  We could have facial recognition software to buy tickets using our face then our face is used to get into the show. 

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:08:06 AM »

Forever is a long time.  We could have facial recognition software to buy tickets using our face then our face is used to get into the show.

by which point you'll be being asked to pay more money than any tout would be asking for for a ticket....that kind of software at purchase end and especially at venue end would be very expensive.

touting has been around forever and it isn't going away - even the big ticket selling companies are at it these days!

Offline The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, Been around the front.
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 11:19:56 AM »
Last time I saw Radiohead we had to present the credit card used to purchase the ticket from the original vendor. Bam, problem solved.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 11:56:53 AM »

Clearly you need to watch the movie Face Off again.  ;)

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 11:58:42 AM »
They are not 'bots' buying these tickets ... TicketMaster are involved ... they are setting the tickets aside to capture those willing to pay more. They are not bots and they're not the traditional tout. The ticket companies are behind the scam!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 12:05:26 PM »
They are not 'bots' buying these tickets ... TicketMaster are involved ... they are setting the tickets aside to capture those willing to pay more. They are not bots and they're not the traditional tout. The ticket companies are behind the scam!!!

when you own what in my opinion is a legalised touting website and openly advertise that site selling tickets to people who can't get tickets on the main site then i would say it is pretty fair to suggest what you say is right

Offline dwaltman

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »

Clearly you need to watch the movie Face Off again.  ;)

Funny....it actually crossed my mind.  @an tha....I wasn't really that serious about the suggestion although I do think it could be possible and costs will surely go down.  Heck, Facebook, Google, and Apple already can tell who I am by my picture.

I would love to see TM get called out in broad daylight for what people here are saying they are allegedly doing.....artists and fans should be concerned if that is true.  Even if it is true....are they actually breaking any laws?  So you are suggesting that the TicketMaster resell tickets are not tickets bought by scalpers/fans but by TicketMaster themselves? 

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 01:20:54 PM »
ya'll are assuming that U2 and other artists are not benefiting from this system as well.

When TM resells a segment of the tickets at inflated prices, U2 profits because these tickets are included in their master agreement with TM.  TM simply gets a % of the sales price when they sell it either from the original cache or from the resale site.  They get nothing above face value when a reseller/scalper sells it.  So it's in everyone but the fans' interest when TM steers a portion of the available seats to their own resale platform.

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 01:45:11 PM »

when you own what in my opinion is a legalised touting website and openly advertise that site selling tickets to people who can't get tickets on the main site then i would say it is pretty fair to suggest what you say is right

Yes, the most outrage I hear against touts is from within the ticketing industry itself, yet they collude in and profit from it.  I recall Harvey Goldsmith angrily complaining about the fact that people were touting tickets for a Bruce Springsteen concert he was promoting, and if they were going to do that he might as well take all the tickets off sale and tout them himself.  Essentially he was implying that it is only fair if he is the one making the cash. 

Offline Gavin82

• Stateless
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
With these 2nd sites try hold your nerve as long as poss day or even day of event ull be FV or maybe just under done it good few times now

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:24:19 PM »
Ticketmaster does not control the inventory, nor do they have the ability to put tickets directly on sale as secondary/resale tickets. Inventory is completely controlled by the venue and artist. TM hates the bots just as much as everyone else and that is why they worked closely with some in Congress to help get the anti-bot legislation passed last month.