Author Topic: Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.  (Read 1996 times)

Offline robgalloway

• Intellectual Tortoise
Re: Bots snatch 1000 U2 tickets in 1 minute.
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 03:36:09 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ticketmaster does not control the inventory, nor do they have the ability to put tickets directly on sale as secondary/resale tickets. Inventory is completely controlled by the venue and artist. TM hates the bots just as much as everyone else and that is why they worked closely with some in Congress to help get the anti-bot legislation passed last month.

They do have the ability to control the inventory and they do own the resale sites. They also have deals with the venues.

TM say they hate the bots because it takes attention away from them and makes it appear that they have nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bonorules

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »
Ticketmaster does not control the inventory, nor do they have the ability to put tickets directly on sale as secondary/resale tickets. Inventory is completely controlled by the venue and artist. TM hates the bots just as much as everyone else and that is why they worked closely with some in Congress to help get the anti-bot legislation passed last month.

They do have the ability to control the inventory and they do own the resale sites. They also have deals with the venues.

TM say they hate the bots because it takes attention away from them and makes it appear that they have nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they do not control the inventory, the venues and artists do. The deals they have with the venues is to be their ticketing vendor. The resale sites they own are a way for customers to sell or buy secondary tickets and have them verified as legit. Too many times customers purchase from other sites and are scammed by the scalper/broker. TM's sites allow people to buy secondary tickets knowing that they will be able to enter the event, instead of having to worry about the tickets being fake and denied entry.

Offline SwimmingSorrows

• Refugee
  • Some folks are bound for glory, I was Born to Hang
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

They're still f******, though.  $20 in hidden service fees for a $75 ticket, bastards.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 07:15:37 PM »
Last time I saw Radiohead we had to present the credit card used to purchase the ticket from the original vendor. Bam, problem solved.

Radiohead = progressive

U2 = regressive

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 07:22:34 PM »
Last time I saw Radiohead we had to present the credit card used to purchase the ticket from the original vendor. Bam, problem solved.

Radiohead = progressive

U2 = regressive

Your manichean view ignores the fact that U2 also required CC presentation on the SoI tour for GA tickets at least.  Bigger venues such as stadium making checking 10,000s of cards against tickets less practical.  Also how does it help the ticket holder if his or her companion(s) want to turn up later or earlier for the show?

Offline fortheloveofmoney

• Babyface
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 08:27:22 AM »
A return to the old days ! The Conspiracy of hope tour required mail in ticket requests with money orders, you only knew a couple of days before the show if you were successful. Limit 2 per person.

Offline tigerfan41

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 10:14:14 PM »
A return to the old days ! The Conspiracy of hope tour required mail in ticket requests with money orders, you only knew a couple of days before the show if you were successful. Limit 2 per person.

The problem with this is that many people have to travel to see U2 (they don't come to many parts of the country). People have to book flight/hotel accommodations weeks/months in advance. Waiting to find out if you're successful until a couple days before the show just wouldn't work.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »

Radiohead = progressive

U2 = regressive

Yeah, but you have to listen to Radiohead once you get there, so there's that.

As long as TM has no problem selling the tickets, the truth of the matter is they don't care who is doing the buying. All artists can do is make it difficult on scalpers by demanding TM try to battle bots, fanclub presales, randon drawing, waiting rooms (like Prince did and Radiohead did last week), etc. It is exactly like protecting your house from thieves. All you can do is make it more trouble than they want to put in and hope they go away. If they want in your house, they are going to find a way.

Offline mofospacejunk

• Wanderer
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2017, 09:21:26 PM »

Radiohead = progressive

U2 = regressive

As long as TM has no problem selling the tickets, the truth of the matter is they don't care who is doing the buying. All artists can do is make it difficult on scalpers by demanding TM try to battle bots, fanclub presales, randon drawing, waiting rooms (like Prince did and Radiohead did last week), etc. It is exactly like protecting your house from thieves. All you can do is make it more trouble than they want to put in and hope they go away. If they want in your house, they are going to find a way.

Give me Kid A, Amnesiac, IR and A Moon Shape Pool over anything U2 has done.

And I think U2's TUF, AB, Zooropa and Pop are fantastic.

Offline Saint1322

• Running to Stand Still
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »

Radiohead = progressive

U2 = regressive

Give me Kid A, Amnesiac, IR and A Moon Shape Pool over anything U2 has done.

And I think U2's TUF, AB, Zooropa and Pop are fantastic.

I've got friends who are big fans, but I just cannot get past dude's voice, and the lyrics just don't speak to me. I am glad they do it for you though; to each their own! :)

Offline dwaltman

• Numb
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2017, 07:20:11 PM »
How do bots get past those "I'm not a robot" check boxes?!

Ha, seriously I had to keep identifying street numbers, rivers, storefronts, and trees so often I thought I'd never get to the next screen.

it is an ongoing game.....sites put on anti bot functionality the people behind the bots find a way around it and round and round we go...

as for ticket touting it has been around forever and will continue to be.

Forever is a long time.  We could have facial recognition software to buy tickets using our face then our face is used to get into the show.

by which point you'll be being asked to pay more money than any tout would be asking for for a ticket....that kind of software at purchase end and especially at venue end would be very expensive.

touting has been around forever and it isn't going away - even the big ticket selling companies are at it these days!

So maybe this face recognition idea isn't that far off...