Author Topic: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?  (Read 6536 times)

Offline DoYouFeelLoved

• Refugee
  • Holy Dunc Space Junk
apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2017, 05:42:40 PM »
If they want to be both cohesive and coherent with the concept, they should play only songs spanning from 1980 to 1988, throwin in even some R&H songs, since Lovetown can be considered basically the same era.

I think it would be much more intriguing and logical than a random career greatest hits set with Vertigo in tow.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
Re: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2017, 06:20:25 PM »
The might only do the Joshua Tree and that's all, and flesh it out withy 5 minutes speeches between each song.

Afterall they've not promised anything besides the Joshua Tree and by the time the show hits the road most of the tickets will have already been sold.

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 07:04:10 PM »
First setlist is the type of set I think they'll do. 2nd setlist is what I would hope they do and take a few more chances while still sticking with the JT theme and being somewhat realistic (i'd love to put Pop songs in there but to me that's just not realistic).

*What I think they'll do*                                                                                       

Video lead in of world leaders and world events starting with Reagan and ending with Trump

1. Desire (Trumped Up version)
2. I Will Follow
3. Electric Co.
4. October/New Years Day
5. Mysterious Ways
6. One
7. Until the End of the World
8. Angel of Harlem
9. All I Want Is You
10. Bad

break

11. Where The Streets Have No Name
12. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
15. Running To Stand Still
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
18. Trip Through Your Wires
19. One Tree Hill
20. Exit
21. Mothers Of The Disappeared

Encore

22. Vertigo
23. Beautiful Day
24. Pride

*What I'd like them to do yet somewhat realistic*

Video lead in with desert video at night with the stars, opening lines to Zeppelins Kashmir fading in and out (Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream) leading into day time and the video ending at the Joshua Tree.

1. Luminous Times
2. A Sort of Homecoming
3. Electric Co.
4. Out of Control
5. Angel of Harlem
6. October/ New Years Day
7. Drowning Man
8. One/Unchained Melody
9. Until the End of the World
10. Hawkmoon

Break

13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
19. One Tree Hill
20. Exit

Encore

22. Desire
23. Bad
24. All I Want Is You
25. 40

Offline cocamojoe

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2017, 09:20:20 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
First setlist is the type of set I think they'll do. 2nd setlist is what I would hope they do and take a few more chances while still sticking with the JT theme and being somewhat realistic (i'd love to put Pop songs in there but to me that's just not realistic).

Video lead in of world leaders and world events starting with Reagan and ending with Trump

2. I Will Follow
3. Electric Co.
4. October/New Years Day
5. Mysterious Ways
6. One
7. Until the End of the World
8. Angel of Harlem
9. All I Want Is You
10. Bad

break

13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
19. One Tree Hill
20. Exit

Encore

22. Vertigo
23. Beautiful Day
24. Pride

*What I'd like them to do yet somewhat realistic*

Video lead in with desert video at night with the stars, opening lines to Zeppelins Kashmir fading in and out (Oh, let the sun beat down upon my face, stars to fill my dream) leading into day time and the video ending at the Joshua Tree.

1. Luminous Times
2. A Sort of Homecoming
3. Electric Co.
4. Out of Control
5. Angel of Harlem
6. October/ New Years Day
7. Drowning Man
8. One/Unchained Melody
9. Until the End of the World
10. Hawkmoon

Break

13. With Or Without You
14. Bullet The Blue Sky
16. Red Hill Mining Town
17. In God's Country
19. One Tree Hill
20. Exit

Encore

22. Desire
23. Bad
24. All I Want Is You
25. 40
I like both of your lists, sans the Trumped-up version of Desire. At least not in States that went for Trump (Pennsylvania, Ohio, Florida). I know that U2 has always blended politics with their music, at least since their War album, but I honestly think that Americans in general are tired of celebrities sermonizing about politics.

Offline shanep

• Stateless
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2017, 10:47:13 PM »
It's not so much we are tired of celebrities sermonizing about politics. U2 has always been political. But, I'm just tired of Bono endlessly yammering before every friggin song.

Offline ultravioletlight

• Numb
  • Chicago, IL
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »
I hope they do mostly 80s, if not all.
I'm personally hoping for Heartland and ASOH.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #51 on: January 21, 2017, 11:20:06 PM »
It's not so much we are tired of celebrities sermonizing about politics. U2 has always been political. But, I'm just tired of Bono endlessly yammering before every friggin song.

I agree.  It spoils the temp of a show.  A show should just flow.  And talking over key musical section such as the intro to Streets shows a certain artlessness.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2017, 11:27:24 PM »

I think the temptation is to think of the brilliant Zoo TV version when you think of Desire.  The reality they'll never do anything like that again with the song, I mean chance would be a fine thing.  I saw a live full band version of Desire at my I+e show and while it was cool to hear it in person I didn't think it was punchy enough to open a show with.  I also feel - and hope - they're going to go with a retro '80s Joshua Tree feel to this show and so I don't think your suggested introduction would work.

Online JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:36 PM »
Yeah, al lot of people are talking about Drowning Man. Even The Edge was surprised. I would love to hear it live - maybe it was thé song that made me think 'what a great band it is' a few years ago.

I agree a little with riffraff: just make an 80's show. It would be a real Joshua Tour then. But I also think: they're very restricted to their setlist (what could it make a greatest hits tour). So I'm hoping they're going to do tricky songs  :)
Tricky songs would be great...I don't even care if they screw them up...

Exactly! Even if Bono confuses the lyrics of Hawkmoon with Elevation...

If they want to be experimental they good experiment with their setlist and the tour can be unforgettable!

Offline John Galt

• Numb
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 11:43:46 PM »
Yeah, al lot of people are talking about Drowning Man. Even The Edge was surprised. I would love to hear it live - maybe it was thé song that made me think 'what a great band it is' a few years ago.

I agree a little with riffraff: just make an 80's show. It would be a real Joshua Tour then. But I also think: they're very restricted to their setlist (what could it make a greatest hits tour). So I'm hoping they're going to do tricky songs  :)

If they want to be experimental they good experiment with their setlist and the tour can be unforgettable!

Stadiums with lots of casual fans looking for nostalgia and experimental do not go well together.

Online JFW

• Party Girl/Boy
  • Lookin' in the places where no flowers grow
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2017, 11:51:33 PM »

Stadiums with lots of casual fans looking for nostalgia and experimental do not go well together.

Maybe you're right...

But I'm still hoping!  ;)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »

I think the temptation is to think of the brilliant Zoo TV version when you think of Desire.  The reality they'll never do anything like that again with the song, I mean chance would be a fine thing.  I saw a live full band version of Desire at my I+e show and while it was cool to hear it in person I didn't think it was punchy enough to open a show with.  I also feel - and hope - they're going to go with a retro '80s Joshua Tree feel to this show and so I don't think your suggested introduction would work.

To be clear, this isn't what I want them to do, it's more like what I expect them to do. Both Edge and Adam made it clear Trump is on their minds and is a big reason for the tour (a reason I don't believe). When they played the one off show a few months back they played a Trumped up Desire and there's 2 obvious songs that they have to address the President, Bullet and Desire. While I don't think they'll take the direct shots they did at him a few months ago, I do think he'll be addressed in those songs.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #57 on: January 23, 2017, 08:01:08 AM »
There is NO CHANCE this happens, but you know the perfect song to open this show with, particularly in the US?

LIKE A SONG ...

Think about the lyrics. It would be perfect.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #58 on: January 23, 2017, 08:25:00 AM »
I'm not sure how likely it is, but the fact they're basically promising 11 classic songs already, they could go a bit outside the usual suspects for the other half of the show.  Still, they're going to do some staples, obviously.  But without even getting into b-sides, they could potentially dip into some rarer tracks.

Of course, half of the JT is already "obscure" stuff, so they may consider it moot, and just do hits otherwise.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #59 on: January 23, 2017, 08:41:53 AM »
I'm not sure how likely it is, but the fact they're basically promising 11 classic songs already, they could go a bit outside the usual suspects for the other half of the show.  Still, they're going to do some staples, obviously.  But without even getting into b-sides, they could potentially dip into some rarer tracks.

Of course, half of the JT is already "obscure" stuff, so they may consider it moot, and just do hits otherwise.

That is entirely possible. You can usually count on a couple of non-hits/fan favorites, and it is entirely possible those slots will be side b of TJT this time out, particularly since this is a stadium tour.