Author Topic: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?  (Read 3424 times)

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
Re: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2017, 09:34:46 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I'm not sure how likely it is, but the fact they're basically promising 11 classic songs already, they could go a bit outside the usual suspects for the other half of the show.  Still, they're going to do some staples, obviously.  But without even getting into b-sides, they could potentially dip into some rarer tracks.

Of course, half of the JT is already "obscure" stuff, so they may consider it moot, and just do hits otherwise.

That is entirely possible. You can usually count on a couple of non-hits/fan favorites, and it is entirely possible those slots will be side b of TJT this time out, particularly since this is a stadium tour.
Hope for that scenario, it would just be strange to hear them play new songs and than play JT traks.
My guess is they are into it and hopeful R&H yeah !
New arena tour may be next year?

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2017, 10:02:55 AM »
I'll bet my hat Miss Saravejo gets played.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2017, 12:01:03 PM »
Another unlikely scenario, but Edge said they wanted to "build" up to Streets. Perhaps they build the show like their career to the Joshua Tree:

Out of Control
11 O'Clock
I Will Follow
Two Hearts
Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Year's Day
Bad
Pride

The Joshua Tree

Encore:
Desire
The Fly
Discotheque
Beautiful Day

Waffles

« Reply #63 on: January 23, 2017, 12:02:28 PM »
Just to remind people, they have a giant b stage where all the band members can appear. Maybe a few acoustics?

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #64 on: January 23, 2017, 12:04:53 PM »
Just to remind people, they have a giant b stage where all the band members can appear. Maybe a few acoustics?

I actually anticipate Running to Stand Still and RHMT (possibly Trip and  God's Country) all played acoustic out there.

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2017, 12:17:32 PM »
I'm not sure how likely it is, but the fact they're basically promising 11 classic songs already, they could go a bit outside the usual suspects for the other half of the show.  Still, they're going to do some staples, obviously.  But without even getting into b-sides, they could potentially dip into some rarer tracks.

Of course, half of the JT is already "obscure" stuff, so they may consider it moot, and just do hits otherwise.

That is entirely possible. You can usually count on a couple of non-hits/fan favorites, and it is entirely possible those slots will be side b of TJT this time out, particularly since this is a stadium tour.
Hope for that scenario, it would just be strange to hear them play new songs and than play JT traks.

I think so. And given the increasing anger over some areas of the world being skipped, they may start in stadiums Down Under in early 2018 and then come to the US or Europe with a proper arena tour.

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2017, 02:43:46 PM »

I actually anticipate Running to Stand Still and RHMT (possibly Trip and  God's Country) all played acoustic out there.

I agree with the above.  I can see Wires starting acoustic and going electric half way through.  I expect Edge and Bono on Piano for RTSS and bleed into EBW.  As for Red Hill, I can't see how they would do it full band.  It would require the wizardry from the musicians below, as they do with other songs - or maybe not.  It's a bit of an awkward time signature as well.  I hope to Cheebus they don't relegate IGC to acoustic...again and again.  But as much as I would love to hear the dormant JT numbers in full, I don't think that's going to happen.  Anything is possible at this moment, but considering they like to do things safely nowadays, I think this will be their "get around" to giving those numbers their full due - which would be rather difficult for Bono's voice.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 02:45:33 PM by achtung child »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2017, 02:47:01 PM »
Prediction.  I'll put money down.

They open with Miracle.  Then Vertigo.  Out of Control.  Elevation.  If they want to make it interesting they may rotate IWF (for OOC) and EBTTRT (for Elevation) on select nights.

They have always opened shows with a bang and whether we like the sound of that bang is irrelevant, they simply want to get the crowd going.  Can't really blame them.

Then we will get more SOI songs before they plow into TJT.

I think they are sensitive to the perception that this may become a nostalgia act and they will want to avoid that.  So I doubt we will see an '80's themed show.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 03:03:23 AM »

I think so. And given the increasing anger over some areas of the world being skipped, they may start in stadiums Down Under in early 2018 and then come to the US or Europe with a proper arena tour.
That would be quite logical, and the arena tour would be far more experimental with all new stuff.

Offline leaping salmon

• Stranger in a Strange Land
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 05:41:51 AM »
TJT itself is just the best.... RHMT (am I actually writing this?)

plus

Lady with the Spinning Head

and covers.....
Bowie
Prince
Cohen
....Wham!

it is going to be awesome...

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 10:15:15 AM »
TJT itself is just the best.... RHMT (am I actually writing this?)

plus

Lady with the Spinning Head

and covers.....
Bowie
Prince
Cohen
....Wham!

it is going to be awesome...
Great suggestion to ad some cool covers Salmon.................
Is it summer already?...............

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2017, 10:40:51 AM »
Why in the world would you want to hear your favorite artist play covers? I don't get that. I don't want to hear Curtis Mayfield songs; I want to hear U2 songs.

Offline dwaltman

• Numb
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 07:31:11 PM »
do people really want to hear them test drive SOE songs?  I saw some comments on that in another thread...

I for one do not... likely to be under-rehearsed, crowd will not know the songs and will not have had the time to digest them so reception would be muted, then the band loses confidence in them and lo and behold we're into another 5 year album cycle...

could be wrong of course!

Adam's interview in RS suggested 80's songs, like SOI, before JT, possibly not playing sequentially, and playing a new song or two so fans are familiar when SOE comes out.

But even for Adam, this was speculation. They haven't sat down to discuss yet.

Waffles

« Reply #73 on: January 24, 2017, 07:46:38 PM »
Prediction.  I'll put money down.

They open with Miracle.  Then Vertigo.  Out of Control.  Elevation.  If they want to make it interesting they may rotate IWF (for OOC) and EBTTRT (for Elevation) on select nights.

They have always opened shows with a bang and whether we like the sound of that bang is irrelevant, they simply want to get the crowd going.  Can't really blame them.

Then we will get more SOI songs before they plow into TJT.

I think they are sensitive to the perception that this may become a nostalgia act and they will want to avoid that.  So I doubt we will see an '80's themed show.

That's the irony. They don't want to be a nostalgic act but they're touring a 30 year album saying it relates to trump

Offline McSwilly

• Wanderer
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 12:32:09 PM »
Out Of Control
Electric Co
Gloria
I Will Follow
Refugee
Zoo Station
Sort of Homecoming