Author Topic: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?  (Read 6571 times)

Offline achtung child

• Headache in a Suitcase
Re: apart from the joshua tree, what should the set-list include? thoughts?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
If they do focus on the 80's, I anticipate the set to be very heavily themed around resistance and human rights, given the Trump presidency.  That being said, there is a very likely chance NYD will return to the setlist, and perhaps some other unplayed tracks from War.  I think it's also likely Walk On will return.  I think MLK is also another candidate for return, as a prelude to Pride.  I do think there is a bit of room for the other usual suspects and SOI.  But if they stick with what Adam says, I believe they will mine from War and TUF to set the context for JT.  And as I mentioned earlier, Miss S is likely to make a comeback.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 01:17:45 PM by achtung child »

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2017, 03:55:28 PM »
Something from Boy besides IWF and OOC. Anything other than those two would be FANTASTIC.
Anything from October, other than the title track.
Something from War other than SBS and NYD. I will say again, Like A Song fits these times and the climate in America like a GLOVE.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
  • The goal is Elevation !
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:08 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
If they do focus on the 80's, I anticipate the set to be very heavily themed around resistance and human rights, given the Trump presidency.  That being said, there is a very likely chance NYD will return to the setlist, and perhaps some other unplayed tracks from War.  I think it's also likely Walk On will return.  I think MLK is also another candidate for return, as a prelude to Pride.  I do think there is a bit of room for the other usual suspects and SOI.  But if they stick with what Adam says, I believe they will mine from War and TUF to set the context for JT.  And as I mentioned earlier, Miss S is likely to make a comeback.
Yeah, if they stick with an 80's concept i would be happy (like the 80's). Aside from some warhorses i've heard like Pride.....War, TUF, R&H would have songs that kinda make sense. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they have a meeting about this.........

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2017, 07:32:43 AM »
Yeah, if they stick with an 80's concept i would be happy (like the 80's). Aside from some warhorses i've heard like Pride.....War, TUF, R&H would have songs that kinda make sense. Would love to be a fly on the wall when they have a meeting about this.........

ME TOO. And I hope they take into account what is played and not played on this run next year when they return for I+E. That would be a fine time to put many of the 80s warhorses on the bench, at least for one tour. Arenas allow them more freedom to NOT play just the big songs, and this would be a fine time to take advantage. If this one is 80s centered and not conducive with Achtung Baby, as Adam seemed to indicate, mine the 90s for deeper cuts on I+E.

I cannot decide which would be a bigger dream of mine: Meeting the band before a show, or getting 4-5 setlist requests played. I think it would be the latter.

Offline miami

• Desert Rose
  • here comes the car chase!
« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2017, 09:34:09 AM »
god part 2 would be immense. Lovetown to me was sort of a companion piece to the Joshua tree tour, so maybe something from that tour would fit well with proceedings.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • So, when does the SOE tour start?
« Reply #80 on: January 26, 2017, 04:42:26 PM »
I've said it before, but I think it's worth saying again:

HAWKMOON HAWKMOON HAWKMOON

Offline JaraSangASongAWeapon

• Party Girl/Boy
  • And the moon turned red over One Tree Hill
« Reply #81 on: January 26, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
Expect the greatest hits from across their career. I don't expect any rarities aside from the ones rarely or never played off TJT.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2017, 10:07:02 PM »
I could see them doing an acoustic rendition of The Hands That Built America. That would seem to line up well with their message for the tour. I am personally hoping for Miss Sarajevo.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #83 on: January 27, 2017, 07:02:08 AM »

ME TOO. And I hope they take into account what is played and not played on this run next year when they return for I+E. That would be a fine time to put many of the 80s warhorses on the bench, at least for one tour. Arenas allow them more freedom to NOT play just the big songs, and this would be a fine time to take advantage. If this one is 80s centered and not conducive with Achtung Baby, as Adam seemed to indicate, mine the 90s for deeper cuts on I+E.

I cannot decide which would be a bigger dream of mine: Meeting the band before a show, or getting 4-5 setlist requests played. I think it would be the latter.
I think another U2Request day would be cool, but it only works if someone presents the facts.
We would be aswesome fly's Saint.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #84 on: January 27, 2017, 07:11:08 AM »

I think another U2Request day would be cool, but it only works if someone presents the facts.

When REM toured their Best Of Warner Brothers in 2003, they took requests from their website for each show. I saw a show in Birmingham, Alabama, and requested Fall On Me and Nightswimming and they played both. I am sure I wasn't the only one, but that was really cool. The Rolling Stones have also taken fan requests via their website. It would fun if U2 did something like that. I remember Adam commenting on the results of the U2:22 fan club tracklisting voting, and I remember him saying some of the selections surprised him.

Offline Volcanogirl

• Elevated
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2017, 07:16:57 AM »

When REM toured their Best Of Warner Brothers in 2003, they took requests from their website for each show. I saw a show in Birmingham, Alabama, and requested Fall On Me and Nightswimming and they played both. I am sure I wasn't the only one, but that was really cool. The Rolling Stones have also taken fan requests via their website. It would fun if U2 did something like that. I remember Adam commenting on the results of the U2:22 fan club tracklisting voting, and I remember him saying some of the selections surprised him.
Oh...how i wish U2 did this. There's a video of bono signing in Italy, and someone asks Bono about the Request. I think he did not hear of
it before that day. But who knows?

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2017, 08:34:09 AM »

Oh...how i wish U2 did this. There's a video of bono signing in Italy, and someone asks Bono about the Request. I think he did not hear of
it before that day. But who knows?

It is a good question, you know? These things quickly go off the rails, but if you could request one song, what would it be? Before 360, I would have said Unforgettable Fire, Ultra Violet and Zooropa, and I saw all three of those on that tour. And I missed Your Blue Room -- I bought Passengers the day it came out -- by ONE night. One Tree Hill would have been high on my list, but that one is coming soon! I've really gotten most of my other U2 favorites over the years.

So I guess if I got to request one song I have never heard in person before, it would probably be Electric Co., Dirty Day or Your Blue Room.

You?

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2017, 08:43:18 AM »
um, Hawkmoon...

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:55 AM »
um, Hawkmoon...

I think that would make a fine opener.

Offline riffraff

• Drowning Man/Woman
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2017, 09:10:30 AM »
um, Hawkmoon...

I think that would make a fine opener.
YES...I can hear the drums....BOOM BOOM