Author Topic: How Did You Buy Tickets In The Old Days?  (Read 1800 times)

Offline zummo

• Babyface
Re: How Did You Buy Tickets In The Old Days?
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 11:42:08 AM »
how did we get 2 pages deep and still not have someone say Target Tours :)   Bala Cynwd, PA

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 11:45:30 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
how did we get 2 pages deep and still not have someone say Target Tours :)   Bala Cynwd, PA
Wow...I'm from the countryside outside of Philly...but never heard of Target Tours!

Offline OnlyU2

• Up With the Sun
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 12:34:09 PM »
When I bought tickets to the Joshua Tree tour in 1987, in Montreal, I remember going to Ticketron with my pregnant friend.  The line up was so long, at least a few hours.  I was working 4 to midnight in those days, so I thought that if I stood in line all day I would be late for work.  So then my pregnant friend had an idea.  She went to the front of the line and approached a cute guy and explained that she couldn't endure standing in line due to her condition. So I took the chance, gave her money to give him, and he bought my ticket! 

Offline zummo

• Babyface
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 01:04:48 PM »
Wow...I'm from the countryside outside of Philly...but never heard of Target Tours!

Target tours handled the U2 Propaganda fanclub ticket sales, run by a nice set of ladies, my friends on Zoo TV would call and sweet talk them and get tickets to long runs of gigs. They were cool with the hardcore fan in that way

Offline ShankAsu

• Child of Grace
  • Can't fight for s---, but sure can take a beating
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 02:31:43 PM »
When i was in high school we used to camp out all night in front of stores that had a ticket master booth, and then they started making the people in line go through a raffle drawing to avoid having scalpers get the best tickets.  made me mad to lose an advantage after camping which i rarely ever did.

Offline podiumboy

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 03:00:25 PM »
I remember for Popmart Columbus we got tickets through Propaganda.  Our tickets were okay, but not great, because all the good tickets were bought up by Ohio State students and faculty, who got first dibs. 

Elevation Tour I remember just going to my local Kroger grocery store and buying them from the customer service.  I remember when I bought my Elevation tickets, the lady working the counter was judging me because they cost so much, and said "well if I were you I'd just buy the CD and stay at home".  Ugh... JUST GIMME MY DAMN TICKETS!!!!  I remember buying tickets to the South Bend, IN show (5 hour drive from my small town in Ohio), and the customer service rep just kept saying "You do know these are in Indiana, right...?"  "You do realize South Bend is in the northern part of Indiana, right?"  YES I DO REALIZE THAT, IT'S THE CLOSEST DATE TO ME, AND I WANT TO SEE THEM ONE MORE TIME BEFORE THEY TAKE ANOTHER 4 YEARS TO TOUR AGAIN!  I'm glad those days are over.

Once Vertigo rolled around we pretty much had the same setup as we do now. 

Offline il_capo

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
When I bought tickets to the Joshua Tree tour in 1987, in Montreal, I remember going to Ticketron with my pregnant friend.  The line up was so long, at least a few hours.  I was working 4 to midnight in those days, so I thought that if I stood in line all day I would be late for work.  So then my pregnant friend had an idea.  She went to the front of the line and approached a cute guy and explained that she couldn't endure standing in line due to her condition. So I took the chance, gave her money to give him, and he bought my ticket!

Very nice story  :)

Offline imaginary friend

• Airborne Ranger
  • It's a good question, Burt
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2017, 08:31:06 AM »

I waited out all night at the Pontiac Silverdome for tickets to that tour's stop there. They had 3 lines (A, B, and C), and I was like #745 or so in one of them. Not bad considering there were about 10,000 people total (no exaggeration) in the 3 lines.

Around 8 AM that morning, I started working the line looking for someone who was only buying 2 seats (I needed 2 and the limit was 4). Found some high school kid about 160th in line who was just buying 2, and he bought a pair for me. 25th row, lower bowl, right about the 50 yard line. Offered to pay him $$$ for doing so, but he wouldn't have it. I've since returned the favor with several other people over the years.

Offline achtungx

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Lillywhite Called Me a Naughty British Slang Word
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2017, 07:40:58 AM »
First tickets that I bought were for PopMart Pittsburgh at Three Rivers Stadium via the 800# that they posted on MTV. What was that, Valentine's Day '97? I had no life, so I stayed in my buddy's dorm room and kept trying the number. Got 4 tickets for 14th row on the field. There was no seating chart available for the field level seats, so we had no idea how close we were until we arrived.

Elevation - got through Propaganda
Vertigo - through fan club
360 - through fan club
I&E - through fan club

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2017, 08:03:18 AM »
It's funny how many venues mentioned here were ones I was at: Ohio State Stadium (PopMart), Pontiac Silverdome (PopMart), Three Rivers Stadium (Zoo TV)...

And not having a venue map back in the day was part of the experience!  Getting second row tickets for Zoo TV, but not even knowing it until we arrived.  I remember when we got them:  "Section 102, row B!!!  Where do you think section 102 would be?  Seems like that might be on the floor, right?  Right up front to the stage?  If it is, that would mean it's second row!  I can't wait to see at the show!"

Offline Starman

• Drowning Man/Woman
  • Stanley Cup Champions
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2017, 09:35:48 AM »
As a yinzer, I wish I was old enough to have been to Three Rivers Stadium.

On a side note, I've never been able to find photos of that Pittsburgh PopMart show. I want to see what the stadium looked like with the giant lemon!

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2017, 01:47:41 PM »
As a yinzer, I wish I was old enough to have been to Three Rivers Stadium.

On a side note, I've never been able to find photos of that Pittsburgh PopMart show. I want to see what the stadium looked like with the giant lemon!

I did find, at one point, photos from the Zoo TV show I attended, taken from the stage before the show.  I swear I should be in them--I was 2nd row, and it looks like mere moments before the start--but could never find myself for certain.

Offline Saint1322

• Numb
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
It's funny how many venues mentioned here were ones I was at: Ohio State Stadium (PopMart), Pontiac Silverdome (PopMart), Three Rivers Stadium (Zoo TV)...

And not having a venue map back in the day was part of the experience!  Getting second row tickets for Zoo TV, but not even knowing it until we arrived.  I remember when we got them:  "Section 102, row B!!!  Where do you think section 102 would be?  Seems like that might be on the floor, right?  Right up front to the stage?  If it is, that would mean it's second row!  I can't wait to see at the show!"

YES! We had FLOOR, ROW D for PopMart at the Georgia Dome. I thought that would be good. We were just left of center between Bono and Edge.

Offline ADDinChicago

• Babyface
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2017, 02:56:50 PM »
When I first started buying tickets I was probably about 14 (1996) and we used to have to go lineup outside of Blockbuster Music in the Chicago suburbs. Then those stores closed and we had to go to Dominick's (a local food store chain here in the Chicago area that also now is gone). Then in about probably 2000 everything here went to website sales except for the venue box office. I was fortunate enough to never have to actually call on the phone and sit waiting to get through. That sounds like a nightmare.

Offline GoldenStateGirl

• Babyface
« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2017, 07:31:44 PM »
Elevation: rather than call in, hubby and I lined up for random wristbands at a record store. I somehow got the third wristband, prompting me to ask him, "GA or seats?"  I KNOW. Anyway, I picked GA but we both had to work the day of the show, and couldn't line up early, so we ended up just on the outer tip of the "heart". I remember being able to see the fine lines around Bono's eyes. To date, my only GA experience. It was AWESOME.