Author Topic: Clayton RS interview  (Read 6500 times)

Offline octoberreckoning

• Babyface
Clayton RS interview
« on: January 24, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline codeguy

• Elevated
  • If there is a light, don't let it go out
Re: Clayton RS interview
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 11:45:49 AM »
the key moment being that the band feels it's more or less finished with SOE and still plan on having it out this year.

Of course, I've heard that before.

Offline Tim Wallach

• Babyface
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:47:57 AM »
the key moment being that the band feels it's more or less finished with SOE and still plan on having it out this year.

Yeah, I feel stupid for believing this again. I do think the band is sort of getting the message that the delays are frustrating their fan base. But I also think the JT Tour will change things for them. I hate when an album is "in the bag" but they're sitting on it.

Offline zoo adam

• Headache in a Suitcase
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
At least he gave an answer - 'end of the year'.

If the delay results in a few amendments improving the album, good. In the meantime fans can watch the band perform one of the greatest albums ever.

Gotta be positive.

Offline gujuju

• Babyface
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
My view is U2 is mainly using the JT Tour as a way to generate publicity and get people talking about U2 again.   This is something they didn't do before, because they didn't have to do it before.   But now they have to re-think things especially in light of the poor reception to SOI.   U2 got used to the idea that the masses craved any new music they put out...but that is probably not the case again.   If they're going to put themselves out there with a new album this year and I&E tour next year, then they want the vibes to be positive and loving towards them.   What better way to do that than play one of your most loved albums in a summer stadium tour.

SOE is coming, I'm confident (I think).   This is marketing strategy necessitated by the new era of music.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 02:07:05 PM »
Uh, guys ... you said EVERY SONG IN SEQUENCE in the promotional materials. Why do these guys do this to themselves? Springsteen is out on The River Tour 2017 right now, and played two songs from it to open the tour in Perth last night.

Stop painting yourselves into a corner! This is just like the night 1/night 2 and then 'nevermind' debacle of I+E. If you don't know what you are doing yet, SHUT UP.

That interview tells me they have put very, very little thought into how they are going to do this.

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 02:14:45 PM »

Yeah, I feel stupid for believing this again. I do think the band is sort of getting the message that the delays are frustrating their fan base. But I also think the JT Tour will change things for them. I hate when an album is "in the bag" but they're sitting on it.

the album is clearly not in the bag otherwise they would have released it.

and the only thing this tour will change is the eventual release date - it will be pushed even farther out.  If it's released at all.

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 02:50:43 PM »
Uh, guys ... you said EVERY SONG IN SEQUENCE in the promotional materials. Why do these guys do this to themselves? Springsteen is out on The River Tour 2017 right now, and played two songs from it to open the tour in Perth last night.

Stop painting yourselves into a corner! This is just like the night 1/night 2 and then 'nevermind' debacle of I+E. If you don't know what you are doing yet, SHUT UP.

That interview tells me they have put very, very little thought into how they are going to do this.

I don't think it says "in sequence" on the promo stuff.  It says "Every Song."  No mention of the order.  I've a feeling this was very intentional, since I don't think even the band quite know how to do it yet.  So they commit to doing those 11 songs, but have no commitment to the order, if they'll be played all together or spread out among other songs, etc.  They COULD end up reneging on it and dropping songs, but I think that will raise a pretty big stink among people who paid to see their favorites from the album.  I hope this isn't the case--that will be a bigger black eye, PR-wise, than the dropped I+E 2-show setup.

Offline Saint1322

• Staring at the Sun
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 02:58:03 PM »

I don't think it says "in sequence" on the promo stuff.  It says "Every Song."  No mention of the order.  I've a feeling this was very intentional, since I don't think even the band quite know how to do it yet.  So they commit to doing those 11 songs, but have no commitment to the order, if they'll be played all together or spread out among other songs, etc.  They COULD end up reneging on it and dropping songs, but I think that will raise a pretty big stink among people who paid to see their favorites from the album.  I hope this isn't the case--that will be a bigger black eye, PR-wise, than the dropped I+E 2-show setup.

Did I completely dream that? Because I could have SWORN that I saw 'in sequence' on something, but if I am wrong, I am wrong.

Now, I know it said 'every song, every show' so they have GOT to honor that. I hope they do end up doing it in sequence, because it will force them to get creative. If you break it apart, it becomes much more like a greatest hits show, IMO.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 03:05:32 PM »
this is what edge said:

Are you going to play the album in sequence at the shows?

"I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence."

Offline Johnny Feathers

• Elevated
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 03:09:51 PM »

Did I completely dream that? Because I could have SWORN that I saw 'in sequence' on something, but if I am wrong, I am wrong.

Now, I know it said 'every song, every show' so they have GOT to honor that. I hope they do end up doing it in sequence, because it will force them to get creative. If you break it apart, it becomes much more like a greatest hits show, IMO.

Yeah, pretty sure it was "every song, every show".  Which makes you ASSUME it'll be in order--I bet a vast majority of folks going think they're going to hear TJT in ORDER--but doesn't commit to doing that if they go another route.  Like I said elsewhere, if they for any reason opt not to do it that way, Bono better make it clear at the beginning of the show what they decided to do, and why.  I think folks will accept whatever they do for the most part, but going in expecting one thing, and getting something else, will cause a stink.

this is what edge said:

"I believe we will, and I say "believe we will" because that is certainly the working assumption right now. The show might not necessarily start with Track One, Side One, "Where the Streets Have No Name," because we feel like maybe we need to build up to that moment, so we're still in the middle of figuring out exactly how the running order will go, so yes. We will be playing the album in sequence."

Yeah, I feel like Edge had a hard time committing to that last sentence.  There's a lot of dancing around until he gets there.  "Believe we will", "working assumption", "might not necessarily start...", "still in the middle of figuring out...", etc.

Offline an tha

• Airborne Ranger
  • You can swallow, or you can spit.
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 03:12:43 PM »

Yeah, pretty sure it was "every song, every show".  Which makes you ASSUME it'll be in order--I bet a vast majority of folks going think they're going to hear TJT in ORDER--but doesn't commit to doing that if they go another route.  Like I said elsewhere, if they for any reason opt not to do it that way, Bono better make it clear at the beginning of the show what they decided to do, and why.  I think folks will accept whatever they do for the most part, but going in expecting one thing, and getting something else, will cause a stink.

this is what edge said:

Yeah, I feel like Edge had a hard time committing to that last sentence.  There's a lot of dancing around until he gets there.  "Believe we will", "working assumption", "might not necessarily start...", "still in the middle of figuring out...", etc.
it has become their way hasn't it....must be murder in the studio when they are doing stuff.

Waffles

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 03:19:31 PM »
Before you know it, they won't be playing RHMT. and they'll come up with more excuses... really, going back on SOE statements and saying it's not done?!?!?! They said it was done but they were putting it off. It's going to be overproduced

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2017, 03:47:24 PM »
they need to honor their commitment to play the entire album every show.  but you can't really blame them for wanting to consider other sequencing options.

at the very least, that will avoid making it (even more of) a broadway show every night where you know exactly what is coming next when they start into Streets.  they already suffer that problem for much of their tours... so might be good to mix up the tracks.

Offline John Galt

• Numb
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2017, 03:50:13 PM »
No promises given.