Author Topic: Clayton RS interview  (Read 4449 times)

Offline So Cruel

• Elevated
  • it ain't no sin to be glad that you're alive
Re: Clayton RS interview
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 12:27:27 PM »
Pretty sad to see Clayton's thoughts on what would happen to With or Without You today. The funny thing is, is that even when it was released in 1987 it sounded nothing like anything else that was out at the time. It's always been an unconventional song, and that is part of its beauty. If they wrote it today unfortunately a producer like Ryan Tedder would neuter it to sound like a current pop song and it would lose it's soul, all in the name of relevance.

Boots, Crazy Tonight, Ordinary Love, Invisible, Song For Someone, etc....all current modern day U2 singles that are neutered to sound like a modern hit, which none of them became. These guys lost the plot. Hopefully they can get it back.

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:35 PM »
I've hardly ever heard WOWY on the radio.  Maybe it lacks immediacy.

Online The Exile

• Elevated
  • Been around the back, been around the front
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 12:35:28 PM »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
These guys lost the plot. Hopefully they can get it back.

Ding ding ding.

It's so ironic for Adam to say that if WOWY were released today it would need to be altered to conform to contemporary trends when WOWY's original success was largely due to its NOT having done that.

To quote Bono, it "whispered its way into the world." I wish U2 had the confidence these days to whisper rather than jumping up and down, shouting at us.

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 12:49:49 PM »
These guys lost the plot. Hopefully they can get it back.

Ding ding ding.

It's so ironic for Adam to say that if WOWY were released today it would need to be altered to conform to contemporary trends when WOWY's original success was largely due to its NOT having done that.

To quote Bono, it "whispered its way into the world." I wish U2 had the confidence these days to whisper rather than jumping up and down, shouting at us.
Yes, I listen much better to whispers than SHOUTS !

Offline John Galt

• Running to Stand Still
  • The hands that build can also pull down.
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 12:54:46 PM »
I often wondered why Exit was too bloody quiet.

Online riffraff

• Airborne Ranger
  • Hold on to love, love won't let you go...
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 01:07:25 PM »
I often wondered why Exit was too bloody quiet.
It's a dark tune.

Offline MattD

• Refugee
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 01:15:58 PM »
all this said he didn't say they would do it....he said that is what you would need to do....

now....the question is do they want a hit badly enough to start actually going that road?

Sadly, I think we know the answer to that an tha. The answer is in the vomit inducing You're The Best Thing About Me.

The unique, loose, ethereal and mystical feel of With Or Without You would completely be trampled upon today by the band with crass synths and heavy drum beats.

Musical invention is stone cold dead with U2 now.

Offline MattD

• Refugee
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 01:18:31 PM »
Pretty sad to see Clayton's thoughts on what would happen to With or Without You today. The funny thing is, is that even when it was released in 1987 it sounded nothing like anything else that was out at the time. It's always been an unconventional song, and that is part of its beauty. If they wrote it today unfortunately a producer like Ryan Tedder would neuter it to sound like a current pop song and it would lose it's soul, all in the name of relevance.

Boots, Crazy Tonight, Ordinary Love, Invisible, Song For Someone, etc....all current modern day U2 singles that are neutered to sound like a modern hit, which none of them became. These guys lost the plot. Hopefully they can get it back.

I think what we have here is everything wrong with U2 in a nutshell. Great post.

Offline Lizard

• Intellectual Tortoise
  • Heard a song that made some sense out of the world
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 02:03:49 PM »

Yes, that part about what they could do to WOWY in order to make it a hit almost shocked me. I sort of hope, that Adam wasn't serious about it. It is such a beautiful and perfect song just the way it is.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Desert Rose
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2017, 02:32:12 PM »
WOWY's deviance from typical radio songs at the time is the reason for it's success. Really sad that even Adam thinks this way, typically being the most sensible of the group when it comes to this sort of thing.

Offline MattD

• Refugee
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2017, 02:49:02 PM »
WOWY's deviance from typical radio songs at the time is the reason for it's success. Really sad that even Adam thinks this way, typically being the most sensible of the group when it comes to this sort of thing.

The entire band most probably think like this.

Clayton's quote is ample evidence they've all completely lost the plot. They probably sit around the darkened studio listening to David Guetta, Katy Perry and the queen of wallpaper music Adele these days.

It is also sad that they seem rather inhibited by their 'rock n roll stadium status' these days - when asked about the high level of unused material from Songs of Ascent onwards, Clayton seemed rather dismissive of their ability to be eclectic and incorporate interesting genres of music.

Anything that goes outside of their present narrow and creatively insipid boundaries of stadium anthems is seemingly a no-go area now. They've lost their ballsiness. They are terrified to experiment and I think it is now time to judge U2 on their immense catalogue prior to the 21st century. Ryan Tedder and Guy Oseary were the final nails in the coffin.

The U2 we loved is now dead in the water.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 03:00:18 PM by MattD »

Offline SlyDanner

• Precious Stone
  • A white dope on punk staring into the flash.
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2017, 02:52:03 PM »

I think what we have here is everything wrong with U2 in a nutshell. Great post.

What we’ve got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can’t reach. So you get what we had here with Clayton's interview, which is the way he wants it; well, he gets it. I don’t like it any more than you men.

Offline mcpaulson22

• Babyface
  • Ill see you again when the stars fall from the sky
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2017, 03:22:56 PM »

Clayton's quote is ample evidence they've all completely lost the plot. They probably sit around the darkened studio listening to David Guetta, Katy Perry and the queen of wallpaper music Adele these days.

It is also sad that they seem rather inhibited by their 'rock n roll stadium status' these days - when asked about the high level of unused material from Songs of Ascent onwards, Clayton seemed rather dismissive of their ability to be eclectic and incorporate interesting genres of music.

Anything that goes outside of their present narrow and creatively insipid boundaries of stadium anthems is seemingly a no-go area now. They've lost their ballsiness. They are terrified to experiment and I think it is now time to judge U2 on their immense catalogue prior to the 21st century. Ryan Tedder and Guy Oseary were the final nails in the coffin.

Speak for yourself - I wouldn't say U2 is dead in the water IMHO. Perhaps some of their new material sounds a little bit over-produced (Boots, Invisible, Miracle). But tracks like Every Breaking Wave, Fez, and Raised By Wolves remind me of the U2 of old. You can't write them off now - especially with them revisiting their roots during this tour. It could very inspire them to get back into the studio to make some amazing sounding music (either improving or scrapping the current album).

Online bass slap

• Numb
  • Hot as a hair dryer.. In your face!
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2017, 04:26:15 PM »

Yes, that part about what they could do to WOWY in order to make it a hit almost shocked me. I sort of hope, that Adam wasn't serious about it. It is such a beautiful and perfect song just the way it is.

I think this has been taken a little too literally, when it seemed a hypothetical question.

The response Clayton gave in any case was reasonable. The song did sound a little different to everything else at the time, but it does inevitably sound dated 30 years on when comparing to modern day production sounds...

To have a hit you you're not trying to connect with middle aged men jaded by today's youth and main stream pop music... although u2 do try and have their cake and eat it by appealing to existing fans and winning new, and obviously failing on both fronts on the most part.

If they want to throw their hat into the ring and compete for chart places and mainstream recognition they need to move with the times, so in that respect promising to hear clayton talk about modern techniques and show some awareness. They are merely competing in the same arena they always have and when they finally do release something it will sound current, and it will sound like u2.

Obviously if they decide to bastardise wowy, they can suck my balls. But then again,I don't think I have another u2 cringe moment left in me... what was once close to a perfect legacy has slowly been watered down for the last couple of decades, so whatever.. I hope they do release something just out of curiosity to see if they can connect with today's pop culture.

Offline WookieeWarrior10

• Desert Rose
  • Every Artist is a Cannibal, Every Poet is a Thief.
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 04:49:08 PM »

You're exactly right. Here they are, sitting around in a conference hall with people like Guy Oseary desperately trying to "write" a hit song. U2 are analyzing every aspect of pop songs and striving for that exact sound. They may go into the studio and throw in some "U2-isms" just to appease older fans... but we all realize that the music isn't genuine anymore.

Songs like RBW, The Troubles, and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight seem like actual attempts at creating art.

On the other hand, you have crap like California (U2-ism: the atmospheric and sonically interesting intro), EBW (U2-ism: Chimey guitar)... you get the idea.

We can see-through their phony attempts at crafting (more so than creating) radio-friendly pop songs. We realize that U2 are desperately trying to mix these unfitting singles with interesting tracks like Sleep Like A Baby Tonight. To balance things out, all they do is simply give a nice, thick wax job to all of the good songs in the studio to make them seem more fitting with the rest.

I don't mean to be speaking for everyone. This is just what I think is the majority's opinion on the forum.